Feb 25, 2020, 08:37 AM
Lot of water; some gets thin
Thread OP
Bob,
Thanks for the jolt. I can easily install the thrust washers inboard. The Amazon ref is most helpful.

Bill
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2020, 03:14 PM
Bill,

Could you use a couple of "small" black, Delrin thrust washers?

I am going to make mine: .125'' ID x .250" OD x .062'' thick. Should match the prop hub dia. pretty close, and being black, should blend in good. For what we are doing, they should last forever.
Feb 25, 2020, 04:32 PM
Where's Pamela?
Octura has 1/8" thrust washer sets: OCTOC4TW

Like this but 1/8:

Feb 25, 2020, 07:44 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Dollar sixty five-not bad but the amazon two dollar ones had balls!
Latest blog entry: Titanic Boarding Pass
Feb 26, 2020, 07:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB
Bill,

Could you use a couple of "small" black, Delrin thrust washers?

I am going to make mine: .125'' ID x .250" OD x .062'' thick. Should match the prop hub dia. pretty close, and being black, should blend in good. For what we are doing, they should last forever.
Thanks for the offer CB. Wont need them though as I am using same size except in nylon. Thanks to Bob & Pat for the suggestions.
Feb 26, 2020, 08:25 PM
Thread OP
Taking an approach I haven’t used before. Used a template to layout the deck arrangement & locate running gear to suit the location of deck components. In this case the motor/reducer had already been installed so it’s location dictated what the final arrangement would be relative to eventual location of deck cutouts. Prior to that I had determined where the house fore and aft bulkhead locations were. That was the guide for where the motor was actually set.
Feb 26, 2020, 09:28 PM
That's what I was going to do also. But, I really like the large lift out deck section that Tom came up with. And, he made it a 1/4'' narrower all the way around, so the house and hatches will hide it. When the "hatch" was on his original model, you could not see how it came apart. I find it's going to make life much more pleasant, as my big old hands don't work as well as they used to.
Feb 26, 2020, 10:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB
That's what I was going to do also. But, I really like the large lift out deck section that Tom came up with. And, he made it a 1/4'' narrower all the way around, so the house and hatches will hide it. When the "hatch" was on his original model, you could not see how it came apart. I find it's going to make life much more pleasant, as my big old hands don't work as well as they used to.
Thanks CB. I saw Toms lift out section you displayed in one of your photos but completely forgot about it. Think I will change gears and go in that direction; makes for much better access. The entire deck on SEA STAR 2 is removable. That required some not-quite-accurate rigging changes but I thought it was worth it.

Your approach might allow for some level of rigging that I would not have otherwise included. Wont know that until I am farther along.
Feb 26, 2020, 10:17 PM
boat butcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by chum444
When I mentioned people who have helped with advice and photos I neglected to give a shout-out to Mark W, the goon & TimB.
. Watching this build .

Mark
Feb 26, 2020, 11:12 PM
Here are the dimensions of what Tom did on this hull. They are measured at deck level, which is at the top of the molded in rub rails.

Hope this helps,
CB
Feb 27, 2020, 06:48 AM
Thread OP
Thanks much CB. Very helpful.
Feb 28, 2020, 12:45 AM
Chum Glad to see you go the large hatch direction. My original used the 3 hatch system and is a Royal pain to work on the running gear. Tom and I figured a Speed 400 geared would be plenty on the hull. She is an easy goer and don't take much to make way. remember these boats only did 5 to 6 knots at best.
Feb 28, 2020, 02:25 PM
Bob McPeters
Looking for my next project and have always wanted to complete a Monterey Clipper.
The available 1/6 scale hull is much to large for my shop and display area.
Read in this thread that a 27" hull might be available from one of your contacts.
Last completed project was a 52ft Harbor Work Boat that took "Best of Show" at the last NW Model Exp in Monroe, WA.
Gallery of this event was posted by keith S on 1-25-20
Please let me know or pass on this request if someone might have a hull for sale.

Thanks, Bob
Feb 28, 2020, 03:18 PM
RCMcP,

I sent you a PM.

CB
Feb 28, 2020, 08:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLee
Chum Glad to see you go the large hatch direction. My original used the 3 hatch system and is a Royal pain to work on the running gear. Tom and I figured a Speed 400 geared would be plenty on the hull. She is an easy goer and don't take much to make way. remember these boats only did 5 to 6 knots at best.
CaptLee. My deck opening on the template is about 17 in length. Longer than Tom Fs for sure. Not certain that is where I end up. Next step is to determine where the deck beams will be located. Using this template is really a valuable tool; with it you get a look at what you need to consider in three dimensions.

Quick Reply