Feb 23, 2020, 08:53 AM
Trader Rating: 0
Larry in Athens,Tn.
Thread OP
Question

Stinson Reliant SR 9 Topflite

I bought a Stinson Reliant SR9 100 " W/S plane, of whom I have no idea who did the initial build, with the intentions of completing myself but have found the task a little daunting given my experience level. My question is this , has anyone sold a like model and had to deal with shipping ? I want to also know if there is a market for such a plane of this size ?
I know some will say ,"just list it and see what response you get " , but I want to know if shipping is prohibitive given the size before I try to deal with listing it .
The plane is fully completed as far as fuselage,wings ,doors,ailerons, flaps , and most all balsa components so it would not be a small package.
If you or someone you know have sold such a model of this size and shipped it, how did it go and by whom did they ship.
Thanks in advance
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2020, 11:23 AM
Trader Rating: 52
I have shipped over 60 Giant Scale planes through Greyhound Bus. Most of these were giant Warbirds. Crating materials run around $80 and shipping is usually around $140 depending where it is going. If you send me your email I will send you a sample of my crates.
Thanks,
Fred
Feb 23, 2020, 12:58 PM
Trader Rating: 64
AMA 8855
I ship large models via Greyhound using station to station shipping point to receiving station.
Greyhounds limits on size are dictated by the cargo bay size of the bus in service and they are generous enough in size as to accommodate the largest of warbirds, 120” WS is the largest I’ve shipped to date. On line rating and scheduling is a bonus just make sure to get your rate online and schedule the shipment rather than rating/shipping from the counter.
I’ll be happy to share crating techniques if you drop me a PM.
Latest blog entry: Greyhound Express
Feb 23, 2020, 05:40 PM
Trader Rating: 168
Knowing the package size/weight limits of any shipper is one of the keys...for Greyhound the maximum weight per package is 100 pounds. The maximum dimensions that we can accommodate are 29″ H x 47″ W x 82″ L. The amount you can insure the package for is limited to $1,000.
I shipped a complete 70cc Mamba, including motor, via Greyhound from IL to CA and had no problems......other than the fact that at some point you may not be able to directly track the shipment! Also, your package moves through their system AS SPACE IN THE CARGO AREA OF THE BUS IS AVAILABLE.
Feb 24, 2020, 07:36 AM
Larry in Athens,Tn.
Thread OP

Stinson SR9

Thanks I will check into what you have advised.
Feb 24, 2020, 08:45 AM
Larry in Athens,Tn.
Thread OP
PM messages sent thanks
Feb 25, 2020, 09:02 AM
Larry in Athens,Tn.
Thread OP

Stinson SR9

Size shown to give a better idea of size
Feb 25, 2020, 09:07 AM
Trader Rating: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby757
Size shown to give a better idea of size
Local pickup will be your best friend!!
Feb 25, 2020, 12:59 PM
Trader Rating: 173
I just finished shipping a plane from Arkansas to NJ. Never again; not that the handler(Greyhound) was a problem, but it's just a hassle all the way. If you have something worth $500.00 + maybe but try to sell locally or take it to swap meet. You will better off.

Quick Reply