Feb 23, 2020, 04:42 AM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP
Build Log

B25J Mitchell - "Yellow Rose"

Hi. Welcome to my new project. This time I decided to build a model of the B25J Mitchell "Yellow Rose" aircraft in the "combat" version. On the Internet I saw a movie with the participation of this aircraft. He made a huge impression on me. I've never had a twin-engine plane before. B25J is beautiful, has an amazingly slim figure and still participates in air shows. I thought that it deserves to be commemorated by building a combat class model.

To begin with, a brief history of the B25 "Yellow Rose" aircraft.

• 1943: The B-25J-5-NC Yellow Rose, serial number 43-27868, was build.
• Apr. 26, 1944: Yellow Rose was delivered over a year before the end of World War II.
• May 1944: The aircraft was assigned to the 334th Bombardment Medium Group of the Third Air Force. It was later re-allocated to the Army Air Field (AAF) in South Carolina. There were deployments to both Myrtle Beach and Columbia, South Carolina during this period.
• Feb. 1945: Yellow Rose was assigned to the 128th AAF Base Unit of the Continental Air Force at Greenville AAF, South Carolina.

Marek (http://www.napolskimniebie.pl), at my request, cut out elements of the model from EPP foam. You can read their weight (187 g) in the pictures. I hope to reduce the weight of model during the final formation of the fuselage and wings. To drive the model I wanted to use Emax 2822 engines with propellers with opposite rotation directions, but I was not able to buy pushing (left) propellers in sizes 8x4, 8x6, 9x6. Larger propellers are not passionate about the size of the model. That is why I chose L 2204 engines with 6x4, which seem to be optimal for aesthetic reasons I learned from colleagues that this type of model does not require the use of propellers with opposite directions of rotation, because the effects resulting from the same direction of rotation of the propellers are imperceptible. The final estimated weight of the model is about 330 g = 187 g (construction) + 96 g (engines, ESC, propellers) + 43 gr (servos, cables). Added to this is the weight of the adhesive in the paint. A lot ? We'll see.
Last edited by Mareczek; Feb 24, 2020 at 07:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2020, 05:37 AM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP

Part 2.

The B-25J has great, large engines. I decided to start building the model from the engine covers. I gave them the right shape by sanding the elements supplied by Marek (http://napolskimniebie.pl/). Now they look like the pictures below. In the next step, I stiffened the horizontal and vertical stabilizer. I wonder how to strengthen the connections between vertical and horizontal stabilizers. The connection surface is 35x10 mm. I am thinking of L-shaped carbon elements at each end of the horizontal stabilizer. For now, I have glued ordinary carbon rods to ensure the elements are rigid along their surface. I also began to give the appearance of the pilot's and gunner's cabin. However, I have to go back to the engines, which I abandoned for a moment.
Last edited by Mareczek; Feb 24, 2020 at 07:10 AM.
Feb 24, 2020, 07:09 AM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP

Part 3.

I could not resist and I prepared the plane from the prepared parts. In my opinion it looks nice.
Feb 24, 2020, 12:10 PM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Wow, nice start! Did you design the parts yourself? What size is the model?

Steve
Feb 25, 2020, 03:00 PM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85
Wow, nice start! Did you design the parts yourself? What size is the model?

Steve
The model was designed by Marek. His website already has models that I have built. If this project succeeds, the B25J will go to the gallery and for sale in Mark's store. Model dimensions: wingspan 103 cm, fuselage length 83 cm.

Regards. M.
Feb 25, 2020, 03:05 PM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP

Part 4.

Today I cut off the glass elements from the fuselage: the pilot's cabin, the gunner's tower, the position of the front and rear gunner. On their basis I made molds for their castings. I will make glass cabins based on castings. It took me more time than I expected.
I started work on strengthening the wings and the fuselage. I've already glued carbon rods to the wing. The hull is long so I will probably strengthen it by gluing one carbon rod on each side. Maybe I will also stick a carbon flat bar from below. The plane will have a thin floor because there will be a lot of electronic equipment inside.

At the end of today I installed a rudder servo. Quite a lot for one day.

M.
Feb 27, 2020, 04:02 AM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP

Part 5.

I slowed down the work a bit, but I think it's still good. Now I have made plaster casts of all crew cabins. The next step will be to make glass panes using the heating method on plastic drink bottle castings.

I made space for electronic equipment in the hull. On the wing I installed engines and aileron servos. I also installed aileron hinges.
Before me fixing the wings and the horizontal stabilizer to the fuselage.
Mar 02, 2020, 04:06 AM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP

Part 6.

Model construction is coming to an end. It remained to connect electronic equipment and then a test flight. I once did a test flight before painting. Later it turned out that after painting the model behaves differently.
Unfortunately, one color (pink) is to be corrected because it is bad. In the meantime, I made the landing gear to make the plane look dignified. I made the rear gunner's cabin, the side shooters' cabins, the front rifle and the turret.
Mar 03, 2020, 03:33 AM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP

Part 7.

Dear colleagues. This is what my "Yellow Rose" looks like.

model length: 80 cm (without rifles)
wingspan: 99 cm
flight weight: 553 gr (without wheels, with Redox 2200 mAh battery - 136g)

This is probably my prettiest combat aircraft model in the air combat version (I have 11), but I do not know if I will fight it. I used left and right propellers, wanting to see how my bomber would fly on them. Thanks to that I didn't have to use engine deviations - only a slope.

I recommend you build the B25J aircraft.
Mar 05, 2020, 05:38 AM
Nice work!

Can't wait to see her flying.
Apr 16, 2020, 08:25 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Plane looks great!
May 07, 2020, 06:02 PM
DFS#000178
I don't know how I missed this earlier but being the unapologetic B-25 junkie I am, I HAD to order one as soon as I saw this.

So the order for the B-25 is in. And I can't wait. I'm already thinking it needs either a PBJ paint scheme or conversion to a Doolittle raider.

And if that goes well I'm definitely going to order the P-61 too. These prices are great.
May 22, 2020, 03:17 AM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP

Maiden flight

I am satisfied. The plane flies better than I expected. It is very stable, manoeuvrable, it runs lightly.

B25J Mitchell "Yellow Rose" (2 min 24 sec)

You can find more photos and my aircraft models at the link:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ke-real-planes

Quick Reply