Mar 10, 2020, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorrest
Probably not. On the 12X which uses an enhanced version of the 9303 programming, it canít be changed.

Allan
I must admit that being used to being able to assign, any control, to any output, I had forgotten that some flyers still use radio's that have pre programmed assignment in them. Having used radio's that can be assigned to any out put, never been a problem, to achieve what I wanted to do. in this case now Open Tx.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2020, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Probably not. On the 12X which uses an enhanced version of the 9303 programming, it canít be changed.

Allan
Thank you Allan! I am trying to follow this 9303 Sailplane guide from Sherman Knight (54 pages) and it implies I should be able to change this setting. If it canít be changed, Iíll keep going!
Don
Mar 10, 2020, 09:04 PM
If you are trying to use the FLAP channel for one of your spoilers, it still can be done. The flap(s) is controlled by two other menus in the Function List besides the DeviceSel menu in the System List. Assigning the flaps to be manipulated by a particular lever in the DeviceSel menu will not automatically make the flap move when you move that lever. In the Function List is the Flap Rate menu. Initially the rates are set to zero. For each flight mode, there is a set of flap rates. If you leave the rates zero, then the lever is inhibited.

The second menu is the Butterfly/Braking/Landing System menu. Different JR transmitters have different names for essentially the same menu. There too, is a rate setting for the flaps when the Spoiler Stick is the controlling device for the flaps. By leaving the rates zero the flap channel is inhibited as long as the flap trim is also inhibited.

For dual spoilers, you could just use AUX2 as one spoiler channel and FLAP as the other spoiler by setting the appropriate rates in the Butterfly menu alone. This is a little tricky as the spoiler stick in the menu just moves the flaps in one direction over half of the servo travel range whereas the spoiler moves over the entire servo range. By setting the Flap rate to 200% and playing with the Flap subtrim, you can almost make the Spoiler and Flap travel range identical.

It is easier to set up a AUX2 -> FLAP program mix and just set the spoiler rate in the Butterfly menu while leaving the flap rate zero.

Allan
Mar 11, 2020, 06:14 AM
Quote:
If you are trying to use the FLAP channel for one of your spoilers, it still can be done. The flap(s) is controlled by two other menus in the Function List besides the DeviceSel menu in the System List. Assigning the flaps to be manipulated by a particular lever in the DeviceSel menu will not automatically make the flap move when you move that lever. In the Function List is the Flap Rate menu. Initially the rates are set to zero. For each flight mode, there is a set of flap rates. If you leave the rates zero, then the lever is inhibited.

The second menu is the Butterfly/Braking/Landing System menu. Different JR transmitters have different names for essentially the same menu. There too, is a rate setting for the flaps when the Spoiler Stick is the controlling device for the flaps. By leaving the rates zero the flap channel is inhibited as long as the flap trim is also inhibited.

For dual spoilers, you could just use AUX2 as one spoiler channel and FLAP as the other spoiler by setting the appropriate rates in the Butterfly menu alone. This is a little tricky as the spoiler stick in the menu just moves the flaps in one direction over half of the servo travel range whereas the spoiler moves over the entire servo range. By setting the Flap rate to 200% and playing with the Flap subtrim, you can almost make the Spoiler and Flap travel range identical.

It is easier to set up a AUX2 -> FLAP program mix and just set the spoiler rate in the Butterfly menu while leaving the flap rate zero.

Allan
That all sounds great! Iíll certainly give it a try!
Thank you, Don
Mar 11, 2020, 01:32 PM
If my memory is correct, on the 9303 in the GLIDE configuration the subtrim for the flaps is set to some value other than zero as a default. If so, you should reset the flap subtrims.

Allan
Mar 11, 2020, 08:47 PM
Allan
The above instructions were helpful and gave me a lot of what I needed. I would like to use the throttle stick to control the motor in F.M. 1 (launch) and the same stick for flap control. It appears to be working using the motor hold function in all F.M. except launch where both motor and flaps work at the same time. Trying to disable the flaps in F.M. 1 (launch). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Don
Mar 12, 2020, 03:50 PM
Take a look at the SW SEL setting in the Butterfly menu. You should be able to enable the spoiler stick and the surfaces it controls in that menu for only the times you want. I forget what the default settings are for the 9303.

Before setting up the Butterfly menu, set up the number of flight modes you want in the DeviceSel first. Otherwise, the SW SEL in the Butterfly may not show them as an option.

Allan
Mar 12, 2020, 09:12 PM
Hello Allan,
I just wanted to let you that I completed my programming per your instructions and everything worked as I desired. Thank you for your responses and directions. They were spot on!

I’ll be able to setup and fly my glider with the functionality I had hoped!!!

Many thanks, Don
Mar 15, 2020, 05:16 PM
In your first post, you said you were using an AR7000 receiver. You may not be aware that your receiver can be set up for preset failsafe on all channels. Except for the very first units which didn’t have brown out protection, preset failsafe is an undocumented feature of that receiver. Preset failsafe is important for electric sailplanes that don’t use the first channel for throttle. Smart failsafe returns only the first channel to a preset position on loss of signal. The other channels are held at their last position on lose of signal.

The setup is simple. Put the receiver in failsafe mode. Before turning on the transmitter, remove the failsafe plug. The receiver led’s will continue to blink. Set the throttle on the transmitter and all other surfaces to the positions you want for failsafe. Turn on the transmitter in bind mode. After the receiver led’s turn solid, you are ready to go. Test the failsafe by turning on both the transmitter and receiver and positioning the channels to something other than the failsafe positions. Turn off the transmitter and see if the channels go to their preset positions.

Allan
Mar 15, 2020, 08:03 PM
Thanks Allan,
Another great idea! I do this...

Don
Apr 04, 2020, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace
Tony, set up your transmitter the way you want. There isnít a right or wrong way.
Yes there is, selecting ĎSailplaneí on a Spektrum DX8 then trying to find out how to work the motor with the left stick
Apr 05, 2020, 02:28 PM
When you have more than one glider/airplane on a computer radio (15 currently flying) it is good regardless of combinations... to have them in the same spot for every plane. If the flaps work for you on the left slider... keep it consistent for every plane. Crow, reflex, duel rates, etc. Same switch... any variables will be remember per plane rather than having to reinvent your hand positions for every plane. Sport pilots... retracts, flaps/elevator, throttle/rudder... etc.
Apr 06, 2020, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelleagle
When you have more than one glider/airplane on a computer radio (15 currently flying) it is good regardless of combinations... to have them in the same spot for every plane. If the flaps work for you on the left slider... keep it consistent for every plane. Crow, reflex, duel rates, etc. Same switch... any variables will be remember per plane rather than having to reinvent your hand positions for every plane. Sport pilots... retracts, flaps/elevator, throttle/rudder... etc.
Listen to this man. When in trouble muscle memory will be an automatic response that will save you.
Apr 06, 2020, 06:35 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelleagle
YES! Which is why I set up my power gliders with the throttle on the throttle stick. I fly mostly power sport, EDF and warbirds.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...51&postcount=7
Apr 08, 2020, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurssday1
Hi guys I have a electric Pike giant with full house flaps. My question is I have a DX9, am I able to run my throttle on the left stick and my butterfly flaps on a switch for landing? I know I can probably just control the flaps with the switch but can I control it all flaps, ailerons and elevator for a crow landing? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Tony
This is exactly the way I have my gliders set up, with my dx9, throttle on throttle stick, 3 flight modes (speed, normal and thermal) on switch and then landing flaps on left slider. Coming from power planes I find this easier during panic maneuvers. I tried putting throttle on a switch and flaps on throttle, but didnít see any advantage and it felt ďwrongĒ! Especially since I fly for fun and havenít been to any contests. My DLGís I have flaps on throttle, but the opposite way with full throttle being full down flaps. So I launch with the throttle off. I can send you my programs if you want to try them.

Quick Reply