Feb 26, 2020, 02:31 PM
I suggest leaving the span limit open, and put on a weight limit instead. There are several different ways to establish an optimum span for a given weight, and leaving that open lets us explore all of them.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2020, 02:43 PM
It would be disappointing to see RES tech go to molded carbon ships to get under the weight limit. The whole beauty of RES was the rules opened up so many opportunities with wood models.
Feb 26, 2020, 02:54 PM
I agree. An F3-RES style requirement for fairly simple construction and materials, other than local reinforcements from mass-produced sources, seems to be working in practice, and would make sense. Even so, I would not assume that you have to impose some arbitrary span requirement to meet a specific max weight.
Feb 26, 2020, 05:29 PM
It would certainly be interesting to see what can be built with balsa and simple composites with no span or design limits aside from weight.
Feb 26, 2020, 07:42 PM
Thread OP
Hi Don and Casey,
I agree keep the weight as the main restriction and not the span;
Have designs be constructed similar to the current F3RES - i.e. primarily balsa with CF reinforcements;
Launch method a hi-start but perhaps with less line and rubber to make the contests more manageable;
There can be some tasks similar to F3K with shorter high starts: i.e. AULD; longest 3 flights with 6 launches; etc.
Could be interesting and a good competition venue not to mention the design possibilities!
Ray
Feb 26, 2020, 08:47 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk
Hi Don and Casey,
I agree keep the weight as the main restriction and not the span;
Have designs be constructed similar to the current F3RES - i.e. primarily balsa with CF reinforcements;
Launch method a hi-start but perhaps with less line and rubber to make the contests more manageable;
There can be some tasks similar to F3K with shorter high starts: i.e. AULD; longest 3 flights with 6 launches; etc.
Could be interesting and a good competition venue not to mention the design possibilities!
Ray
Ray, are the guys in Tucson going to have some contest?
Feb 27, 2020, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
Hi Corky,
I wish so but Philip B and I are the only ones doing F3RES in Tucson that I know of. I'll have to go to some of the contests in Phoenix once things settle down at the UA.
Take care,
Ray
Mar 01, 2020, 02:05 PM
Balsa breaks better
Last chance today boys and girls:

https://www.regulations.gov/comment?...2019-1100-0001

Thank You for your support.

Joe

Balsa Breaks Better
Woodys Forever
Mar 01, 2020, 11:00 PM

feedback to FAA

Comments are accepted thru' midnight tomorrow, Monday, March 2. I just submitted mine at

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...s#open-comment

It's worth reading the link there "tips for submitting an effective comment."

Quick Reply