San Felasco F3K Event Photos - Friday/Saturday/Sunday

Today kicked off the first F3K event of the year in what is supposed to be warm and sunny Alachua, FL. Instead of the warm and sunny bit, we had cold, windy and cloudy conditions which made for an interesting 1M event.

Splash

Cold but Fun

Today kicked off the first F3K event of the year in what is supposed to be warm and sunny Alachua, FL. Instead of the warm and sunny bit, we had cold, windy and cloudy conditions which made for an interesting 1M event. As folks started arriving, we managed to get the heater working under the big tent. Who would have thought we'd need a heater San Felasco. Even though it was cold and windy, we still had a great time and my sides are still sore from all the laughing.

I was all set to compete in the 1M comp with my trusty old original Go Mini, but about 5 minutes before the first round, a huge gust of wind came through while I was holding the wing tip and ended up with it hitting the ground on the opposite tip inverted and breaking the wing. No time to fix it and no back up plane, meant I got to time for Mickey and Joe instead of flying. I didn't mind at all as it was pretty fun to watch the brutal rounds where it wasn't uncommon to see a 20-30 second flight. There was lift for sure, and even some 5 minute flights, but there was also some of the nastiest sink I've ever seen to go along with it. I can't remember ever seeing a plane in horizontal flight, drop from 200ft to 50ft in a matter of seconds like it did today. Just crazy.

Also of interesting note is the new tasks and rules for this season. No flying in the last minute before every round, which Mickey's awesome timer announces for us to make it easier to remember is a big one. Poker is going to be crazy from now on with only 3 calls and the fly offs are going to be game changing on Sunday with 1 flight only 10 minute max, 15 minute 3-call poker, and the 3,5,7 minute ladder in 15. There was a 3 round fly off today for the 1M where the top 5, minus Mickey who chose to swap out, duked it out to try and put a stop to the freight train that is Gavin. He had a giant 800pt lead going into the fly-offs and had over 2000pts over 2nd place after. Gavin is on a roll in 1M land, great flying with that Deviant Gavin.

Here's some photos I took today that I hope you'll enjoy if you weren't able to make it down to the event. We'll start with a pilot's meeting at 9am with sunny and cold weather in the morning, but should be quickly warming up to a more pleasant mid 60's and even warmer on Sunday. It's going to be a great weekend.

Last edited by Jason Cole; Feb 23, 2020 at 10:45 PM..
Feb 22, 2020, 07:36 PM
aka: Pauly Knuckles
Great pics Jason, thanks again for posting!
Feb 26, 2020, 06:25 PM
fantastic photos, thanks for sharing, wish i could have made it..

Quick Reply