Feb 21, 2020, 12:49 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

High quality voltage regulators?!?

I have 3 different turbines that are soon to be airborne however, Iím looking for regulators for all of them. Any suggestions on high quality voltage regulators?
Also I was wondering about the Castle Creations Pro 25amp BEC....is that sufficient for an average turbine jet?!? Running high voltage servos on my Tams A-4 and regular 6.0v servos in the other 2 jets. All input is greatly appreciated!!!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2020, 03:25 PM
THAT'S WHY
Since you are open to all input I would suggest A123 or LiFe batteries.
Feb 21, 2020, 03:38 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by causeitflys
Since you are open to all input I would suggest A123 or LiFe batteries.
A much better option
Feb 21, 2020, 10:29 PM
Thread OP
Can you elaborate on A123?
Also life runs 6.6-7.0v if not slightly more. The problem is that I bought a jet used that has Hitec servos which are only rated for 6.0v. I do realize that they can go slightly over that but I prefer not to for my own peace of mind. I have had very bad luck with hitec servos in the past so I’m very skeptical but do not want to swap them out.
Feb 22, 2020, 12:13 AM
THAT'S WHY
Unless the Hitecs are really cheap low end servos they will be fine with the LiFe or A123 (put simply a better version of the LiFe).
I have high end Hitecs in nine jets and a few are fourteen years old.
Feb 22, 2020, 07:52 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
6v rated servos mean they are designed to run with a 5 cell nickel pack, which charges to over 7 volts when fully charged.

A123's are primarily the same as LiFe but they are manufactured by A123 systems and use a nano technology that gives them a very high charge and discharge rate but I use either on a number of models including those with Hitech 6v servos with many flights and no issues.

If you want A123 packs Tail Dragger RC makes them from genuine cells.
Feb 22, 2020, 08:12 AM
Watch This!
That is to say run without a regulator....one less failure point, and slightly better power to the servos.
Feb 22, 2020, 12:58 PM
Nick Radle
Agree. Your Hitecs should be able to handle LiFe or a123 straight, no problem. Would go that route before regulators
Feb 22, 2020, 06:39 PM
stegl
I use PowerBox Evolutions on all my 3 jets and one turboprop and very happy with it. Does more than just provide dual regulated power. Although limited to 6 channels I use the 6 for my ailerons, elevator, flaps and rudder. It cleans up any signal noise and sends a good signal on the long leads to my flying surfaces. Throttle and gear I operate direct from my receiver.
I have been using lipos but will be switching over to A123 ‘s as replacements are needed
Feb 23, 2020, 02:17 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Jeti range is great. A regulator is needed which ever cells you use to provide the desired voltage at all times.
Feb 26, 2020, 06:25 PM
Thread OP
From the sound of it........I think I have just had some bad luck with hitec servos, and no they were not cheap servos......they were digital higher end servos that burned up. I have had them in previous jets with no issues however, after I had multiple burn up while the jet was plugged in before flight, it gave me a bad taste in my mouth. I will take your guys word for it. Thanks for all the input. I already purchased a Sahara regulator from dreams works but it may just collect dust after reading everyones input.
Mar 08, 2020, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brose325
From the sound of it........I think I have just had some bad luck with hitec servos, and no they were not cheap servos......they were digital higher end servos that burned up. I have had them in previous jets with no issues however, after I had multiple burn up while the jet was plugged in before flight, it gave me a bad taste in my mouth. I will take your guys word for it. Thanks for all the input. I already purchased a Sahara regulator from dreams works but it may just collect dust after reading everyones input.
Iíve also not had the best of luck with Hitec servos. If it was me Iíd pull them out and sell them and put the money towards servos you do like and that donít require a regulator.
Mar 08, 2020, 05:07 PM
In search of speed......
A good regulator is just another point of failure....straight voltage is the best and if you feel the difference between 2 flights because of .3 volts....difference..I would call that Bull unless your a world champion that flys 1 thousand flights + A year with the same airplane
Mar 08, 2020, 06:49 PM
Just slap some sick a$$ MKS servos in that bird and plug em straight in the juice box and fly it!
Mar 09, 2020, 12:37 AM
Thread OP
I have way too may servos to replace Ray!! Those MKS are for the rookie lol. Not a bad idea to pull them and get a new set tho so I don't have to worry about it.

Quick Reply