Feb 20, 2020, 10:53 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Controller Jealousy

I'm jealous... !

There are a ton of flight controllers for quads that will do just about everything and cheap... Why can't I find this for helis?

Does anyone know of any FBL controller or otherwise that is a drop in full blown controller that will do more than simply return to a hover? Returning to a hover when things go wrong is fine I guess but I've never had the chance or need to use it, the oh sheet moment doesn't allow me the time to change position to hit the switch or button... What would be helpful is in a case where I lose orientation and direction etc from a distance (eyes not being as good as they used to be) is to simply correct itself and Return To Home... There have been controllers that do this like the NAZA-H but it appears to have gone away... Some others were too damn expensive...

Does anyone know of any setup that offers this out of the box? With quad controllers being sold for pocket change that do this I can't believe there isn't anything out there for a reasonable price... I have seen some nice choppers being sold with this option built in but I have no idea what controller they use.. IMO this functionality is inevitable if helis stay on the market -- offering the same functions as drones should be a no brainer for any ambitious maker of helicopters IMO...

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2020, 03:17 AM
UK 550/600 Tarot distributor
The Spirit2 or Spirit Pro with optional 'Geolink' module will do all of that stuff. Price is good in terms of heli FBL controllers, cheaper than most.
Feb 21, 2020, 05:47 AM
I believe the F7 FC can be set up with a GPS, check this link... looks like it is in the works as an open source project https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ller-%28FBL%29
Feb 21, 2020, 07:07 AM
Hi,

maybe people that have a desire to fly a Radio Controlled model helicopter want to learn to fly a Radio Controlled Helicopter.

Sure that it is coming but presently the 'instant gratification - plug and players' prefer a multi rotor camera carrier which is where the market is.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Feb 21, 2020, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB
Hi,

maybe people that have a desire to fly a Radio Controlled model helicopter want to learn to fly a Radio Controlled Helicopter.

Sure that it is coming but presently the 'instant gratification - plug and players' prefer a multi rotor camera carrier which is where the market is.

Paul
I am certainly not keen to see our hobby degenerate into what the drone market has become, which the introduction of cheap autonomous flight systems is bound to lead to.

I derive a huge amount of satisfaction from being able to competently control and fly an RC helicopter - the type of satisfaction that comes from putting a lot of time and effort into learning a subject and then developing the requisite skills. It is not something that everyone has an aptitude for, but that is true of many other pursuits in life too.
Feb 21, 2020, 09:24 AM
I prefer to fly it myself as well... But we can't stop it. Bailout sure has saved me a crash or two
Feb 21, 2020, 09:45 AM
Yes I hear what you are saying and I think it would be silly to deny that the average FBL flight controller is in itself, a powerful electronic flight aid - but I do think that autonomous flight control is a step too far and best avoided if we want to maintain the character and appeal of the hobby as we know it.
Feb 21, 2020, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone 7
Yes I hear what you are saying and I think it would be silly to deny that the average FBL flight controller is in itself, a powerful electronic flight aid - but I do think that autonomous flight control is a step too far and best avoided if we want to maintain the character and appeal of the hobby as we know it.
In my opinion the opener of this thread approaches the topic in the right way. Betaflight can bring some advanced stuff to the heli hobby for cheap without doing any navigations stuff.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ller-%28FBL%29
Feb 21, 2020, 11:27 AM
And You're Not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone 7
I am certainly not keen to see our hobby degenerate into what the drone market has become, which the introduction of cheap autonomous flight systems is bound to lead to.

I derive a huge amount of satisfaction from being able to competently control and fly an RC helicopter - the type of satisfaction that comes from putting a lot of time and effort into learning a subject and then developing the requisite skills. It is not something that everyone has an aptitude for, but that is true of many other pursuits in life too.
While I agree with the sentiment that one should learn to fly the helicopter - I don't have any rescue modes set up on my helis - I can assure you that this thing doesn't fly itself

Feb 21, 2020, 12:07 PM
Genius man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie
The Spirit2 or Spirit Pro with optional 'Geolink' module will do all of that stuff. Price is good in terms of heli FBL controllers, cheaper than most.
+1 Smoggie.

Used responsibly and safely as a learning aid to assist in advancing one's skills just like you do on a sim i.e. without the expense of crashing. You still have to manually fly the heli after the geofence returns it to home. As a matter of fact, you manually fly the heli, the Geofence and Hard Deck save you if you get out of shape. After flying for a while, you get better and won't need them. No trashed heli and no hurt bank account balance.

last flight of the day with the geolink (4 min 53 sec)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Last edited by denis747; Feb 21, 2020 at 12:34 PM.
Feb 21, 2020, 03:51 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the replies...

Let me just say that I would not presume to tell anyone how to fly their stuff... If someone wants to hire someone to fly their stuff for them, and that makes them happy, go for it...

I my case I flew fixed wing for a while and started trying to fly helicopters many years ago... I got a Walkera CCPM heli not knowing much of anything... I didn't know to how to take off, I didn't know about ground effect, I didn't know that you start just hovering tail in, etc. This resulted in crash, after crash after crash.... Then I began to find out what I was doing wrong...but that little 200 sized heli was, by that time, toast... Took off for a while and at some point got the bug and I ended up getting a Cypher 3D... Very nice 400 class heli and I set her up and wow she was really stable.. I worked on hovering tail in and started to develop some skill. But as I began to move outside my comfort zone I still found ways to crash.... I also found that all the crashing I had done made me half scared to death every time I took off, it was never the same, not as much fun and I was still jittery on the controls... This is true still to this day -- depending on wind and how I feel that day, it's almost like some form of PTSD...from all those damn crashes... After building up some small amount of skill with the Cypher I had one more bad crash and I found that she no longer flew right... Again I took off from helis, but this time I said F-it... Too much stress and too many heart breaking crashes...it wasn't fun anymore.

Fast forward to many years later in 2019. I got the bug again and I wanted to give it another shot... I picked up a Blade 230S and although I was totally freaked out at first I have now moved past where I was years ago and can actually fly the thing... Still find I get nervous when things get outside my comfort zone and I have to land and relax... Now I just move on and have found that the auto leveling helps... I have not crashed this heli once..not once, but I have been in situations where I thought it was over... I have lost orientation due to my still okay but not as good vision...

So, what brings me here... I got this kit years ago and never did anything with it... It's an HK 500TT and so recently I decided to build it... I have all the parts now except for the FBL controller and here's the thing - I DO NOT want to crash it and I do NOT want any fly aways... Now I know things can go wrong even the best plans go wrong but I want the best insurance I can get...

Having read the replies I like the Geolink controller so I'm going to look into that... If anyone has any additional info on it please share... It seems that the only place selling it is here:
https://store.spirit-system.com/en/a...1-geolink.html

Seems odd that it's not sold more widely but I haven't looked too hard yet...

I appreciate everyone's replies... Happy Flying...!

Jim
Last edited by ny_hawk; Feb 21, 2020 at 03:56 PM.
Feb 21, 2020, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747
+1 Smoggie.

Used responsibly and safely as a learning aid to assist in advancing one's skills just like you do on a sim i.e. without the expense of crashing. You still have to manually fly the heli after the geofence returns it to home. As a matter of fact, you manually fly the heli, the Geofence and Hard Deck save you if you get out of shape. After flying for a while, you get better and won't need them. No trashed heli and no hurt bank account balance.

https://youtu.be/jCyxpf-0EUU

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I sure wish that was available when I was learning to fly my first 450... that would have saved me hundreds if not thousands!
Feb 21, 2020, 05:07 PM
I think that there is also a certain type of mindset which believes that it is possible to start running and jumping before first having learnt to walk properly. There are some who are just not prepared to invest the time and effort necessary to become a proficient, well rounded pilot. I am not saying that this is the case in this discussion, but more as a wider observation.
Last edited by Cyclone 7; Feb 21, 2020 at 05:27 PM.
Feb 21, 2020, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
Question for those who know the Spirit products... Is there any reason not to use the ÁSpirit instead of the Spirit 2 or other model on a 500 class? The feature set differences are not quite clear...

Thanks,

Jim
Feb 21, 2020, 06:38 PM
Slideways at warp speed.......
Ny hawk. I know what your feeling. I have a sequence of helis that i fly to get me back in the groove and comfortable and move into the bigger guys and then enjoy flying them. If i havent beem flying for awhile i always grab one of my Blade 230s units and go for a leisurely fly around at the park. Has to be one of the best basic RC helis made imo. Micros the xk k110 is the bench mark imo and very robust. Can never have to many k110s imo.

Quick Reply