Feb 20, 2020, 07:28 PM
Thread OP
Alert

new member hopefully

Hi all.
I have been building model kits, of many types, off and on, since around 1973. they were all plastic until 2012 when I got my first wooden ship kit. It took 18 months to build in my spare time with a few pauses. My next was another wooden ship kit which took 2 1/2 years to complete. I returned to plastic kits last year but was not happy with the results and realized that wood kits are better, as, if you make a mistake you can just cut another piece to fix it. Virtually impossible with plastic. I have just bought the plans for a 1/23 scale line control DH Mosquito which I want to convert to R/C. As this is a completely new venture I thought I'd join a site where I can get help and maybe, along the way, help others too. Building this will be a challenge but am sure I can do it. The R/C side of things I have no knowledge of which is where I will really need help. Especially with the electric motors and propeller sizes along with incorporating control and power pack housings. I have wanted to build a wooden Mossie for at least 20 years and finally have the chance to do it.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2020, 10:44 PM
Hello! And welcome to the power side of things!!
My current woody has taken just about 2.5 yrs so far! But its so satisfying to build in wood isn't it!!!

Under the assumption that you have never flown i would get yourself a trainer type aircraft and a sim to help you learn the ropes.

As far as you posted concerns, here are a few links to get you started!
Balsa builders;
https://www.rcgroups.com/balsa-builders-807/

General eletric airplanes;
https://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-electric-airplanes-4/

Good luck and have fun!!
-matt
Feb 21, 2020, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
Hi Matt. Thanks for your reply. I will check out your links soon. I have already considered getting a trainer and will do by the summer. I am expecting this build to take about a year to finish. mainly to adapt the plans to suit r/c and also to add detail within the cockpit as it a pretty large space. This will give me time to learn the basics of flying, all going well.
Feb 21, 2020, 09:32 PM
Thats great!
A seasoned builder like yourself should have little trouble building an rc version anything!

A peice of advice when you start your build start a build thread and post your progress in it. This will give you some motivation to work on it, but more importantly it will give others the chance to see your work and help you improve it!!

-have fun!!
-matt
Feb 23, 2020, 03:47 PM
Thread OP
Hi again Matt. Thanks again for your reply. I have looked to see where I can post a build log but haven't it .Is there a specific page or do I just continue here? I have already traced the outlines of the main sections and started trying to build the rudder. The plans call for 1/16th inch balsa for pretty much the whole build but am going to use 3mm instead. 1/16 might be ok for control line but is much too delicate for r/c. At least to avoid complete destruction on the first bumpy landing. It's almost too thin to work with without snapping.
Feb 23, 2020, 04:41 PM
Build it to what your comforatable with!
My the main wood for my current build (glider) is 3/32 for bulk heads and 1/8 for the stringers.

I would personally post in the balsa builders section, thats where you will get the most experienced builders helping you!

There is also an option to label your thread "build log" to help members identify what it is.

See you there!
-matt

Quick Reply