Feb 20, 2020, 12:32 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Discussion

Vortex 3 F5K

Everybody is showing theres so... time to show ours.
In one month VORT3X will be available as VORT5X

Denis has already milled molds for the fuselage and the rudder molds will hopefully be finished in a few days. After this we plan to build a few test planes to verify fit, finish and function and then start production of the E-Vortex 3!
Wings will be top drive, lighter in construction, no tip reinforcements for the pegs, lighter spars and such. We have already tested top drive wings, even in F3K. It’s a tight installation in the thin wing of the V3 but it just fits under the covers. Wings will be 2 piece wings with the proven V3 two piece wing system which requires only 2 screws. One piece wings will be available as well.
Target weights are 265 grams which is the minimum wing loading for the F5K class according to the rules (12g/dm2) but lighter is possible of course.
At 265 the V3 is still a VERY capable model And we expect great things from it!

For those who don’t know the Vortex 3, you can find more information about the V3 in the following thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...g-the-Vortex-3
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2020, 09:16 PM
Feb 21, 2020, 06:11 PM
Nice ����
Feb 22, 2020, 05:07 PM
Overkill is underrated
Roy, is the reason the V5 can’t be 4 in the pod, due to needing the space of the two aileron servos for the ESC, etc in the pod?

Ed
Feb 22, 2020, 05:40 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
The difference in equipment between the F3K version and the F5K version is pretty big when it comes to weight.
You take out a 15 gram battery and add an 18 gram motor, 25-35 gram battery, 10 gram ESC, 7-10 gram spinner and prop and an altimeter. In total it comes down to an extra 55 grams. In order to balance the model without the need for tail weight, the nose needs to be shorter and weight of the components needs to be shifted closer to the CG.
For this reason the servos move to the wing and the pushrod system is taken out of the fuselage.
Feb 26, 2020, 04:39 PM
BGO
BGO
Last year I converted both of my Vortex 2.5 to an electric F5K version.
They fly great

This month I started to convert my standard Vortex 3 fuselage to an electric version. I removed the innerframe and swapped the KST for D47 servos. Both elevator as rudder servo are placed under the wing. They are mounted on a 0.5 mm epoxy plate.

I will use a 1-panel wing with top-drive installation. Target weight is 260 gram excluding the Altis.

Brian

Feb 26, 2020, 08:17 PM
BGO;
Was it much trouble to get the 'old cage' out?
Cary
Feb 26, 2020, 09:45 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGO
Last year I converted both of my Vortex 2.5 to an electric F5K version.
They fly great

This month I started to convert my standard Vortex 3 fuselage to an electric version.
Brian, can you please tell us what motor/ESC/hub/spinner/blades you used ?

I'm about to do the same on my Vortex 2.5.

Thanks!

--
Greg
Feb 27, 2020, 04:58 PM
BGO
BGO
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadFlopper
BGO;

Was it much trouble to get the 'old cage' out?

Cary

It was less difficult than I expected Cary. The inner frame is accessible after I made the first pocket in the fuselage. See picture below. At that stage, both the carbon rods and the ribs of the epoxy plate rib can removed fairly easily. I smoothed the surface with the dremel.
Feb 27, 2020, 05:11 PM
BGO
BGO
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouglas
Brian, can you please tell us what motor/ESC/hub/spinner/blades you used ?

I'm about to do the same on my Vortex 2.5.

Thanks!

--

Greg

Greg,

You can find all info about my Vortex 2.5 here:

https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/thread...vortex.263404/

Let me know if you have trouble translating it into your language.
The standard Vortex 2.5 and strong Vortex 2.5 (rudderless) are mentioned.

This is what I used:

Talon 15 Controller:

CASTLE CREATION TALON 15 2-4S 15A 3(8)A BEC

Prop / spinner:

Prop 6x3 with battery 3S
Prop 7,5x4 with battery 2S

GRAUPNER CAM FOLDING PROP 6/3 3,2MM SPEED 480

GRAUPNER SPARE PROP BLADE CAM FOLDING PROP 7,5/4

Cobra motor:

https://innov8tivedesigns.com/parts/...v-2800-e36-f1s

Hope it helps you.
Feb 27, 2020, 10:57 PM
So, if we can 'hollow out the wing saddle area and still be strong enough,,why haven't we done this to lighten the V3 dlg
Cary
Feb 28, 2020, 12:00 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadFlopper
So, if we can 'hollow out the wing saddle area and still be strong enough,,why haven't we done this to lighten the V3 dlg
Cary
Because it won’t be strong enough for a strong discus launch.
Also, putting servos under the wing saddle makes adding ballast more difficult.
If ypu want to convert an existing model, this is one way to do it, put the aileron servos in the wings and tail servos under the wing saddle. This leaves enough room for the battery and motor in the nose and has a good potential to balance.
The new fuselage should balance out and allow room for ballast and also is designed to accept a spinner in the nose better
Mar 03, 2020, 03:40 PM
BGO
BGO
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydor
Because it won’t be strong enough for a strong discus launch.

Also, putting servos under the wing saddle makes adding ballast more difficult.

If ypu want to convert an existing model, this is one way to do it, put the aileron servos in the wings and tail servos under the wing saddle. This leaves enough room for the battery and motor in the nose and has a good potential to balance.

The new fuselage should balance out and allow room for ballast and also is designed to accept a spinner in the nose better

Very excited to see your new design
fuselage Roy. To balance the current fuselage with all equipment inside is not easy.

My Cobra motor just fits. The gap between motor and fuselage is less then a millimeter. The connection with the Talon ESC is made with small bullet connectors.
Mar 03, 2020, 04:12 PM
BGO
BGO
I asked Denis to build a 1-panel “light” wing with topdrive assembly.
No peg and additional carbon reinforcement needed. The weight of the wing was 86 gram. With the KST08 servos and 3D printed servoframes the weight ended up to 109 gram. It requires modified bubble servo covers, but I am happy with the result so far.
Mar 03, 2020, 07:29 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
A radial in a F5J ! nice

Quick Reply