Feb 26, 2020, 12:34 PM
flyin' fool
I fly my small models in windy conditions all the time, even the 4 ounce ones. It's all about air speed, not ground speed anyways. Besides, you can do all kinds of funky aerobatics if you've got wind.

After all, I live on the Pacific coast and if you can't fly in the wind, you might as well give up on the hobby. Most fliers here are fair weather flyers, so we three extreme rogues get the flying sites all to ourselves.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2020, 12:44 PM
flyin' fool
Back in the day there was so much input in the scratch threads that a current new topic would soon end up back a few pages in short order.

I guess there are only so many variations of those super simple designs you can come up with. Still, for me they are the most fun and I'm still looking for that 'perfect' design. So far the Crack Wing with rudders is hard to beat. Maybe??
Feb 26, 2020, 02:26 PM
Learning to make
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Back in the day there was so much input in the scratch threads that a current new topic would soon end up back a few pages in short order.

I guess there are only so many variations of those super simple designs you can come up with. Still, for me they are the most fun and I'm still looking for that 'perfect' design. So far the Crack Wing with rudders is hard to beat. Maybe??
Hopefully there isn't as much activity because everyone made the planes they wanted and are out flying them.
I wish I found this place earlier though!
Feb 26, 2020, 03:01 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Quote:

Back in the day ...... you could lift the hood on your car, see and name just about everything, and fix them if they went wrong. ...... now ?

ARF and RTF are so easy compared to actually 'making something with your hands'.

Forums are becoming the same now, it's easier to ask someone else to do the searches for you.

But then, ..... we still, design, build, fly, even crash, ..... and get our satisfaction from knowing we can, and do, .... and that people still need us.

Ray
Feb 26, 2020, 03:15 PM
flyin' fool
Thanks for the hug Ray.
Feb 26, 2020, 03:20 PM
flyin' fool
Not too long ago finding a source of EPP, FFF or Depron was easy and the shipping wasn't a deal breaker.

One good thing about drones (multi rotors) is they provide a source of wonderful motors in the .020 and .049 class and small high output lipos.
Feb 26, 2020, 04:23 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
We may have been kicked in the tailfeathers, but we're not down yet !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Feb 27, 2020, 06:49 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
“ It appears we have is a lack of communication !!!”

What we Need is a "Parkflyer Lobby" … Someone to speak to unknowing regulators who in their typical knee-jerk reaction to the drone problem have also included us !!!

Again , where is the AMA ?
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Feb 27, 2020, 09:33 AM
treefinder
Good point, Glen!

I finally submitted my comment yesterday, and I encourage all you guys to post yours. While mine was several pages and I made a pdf and attached it, you can post a short one easily. I browsed through the ones already up and noted that in the ones I viewed ( maybe 30) every third one was a foamie flyer commenting on how unrealistic all the protocols and hardware were for our type of planes and flying. Good to see, I think. My comment was along that same line, that no one is adequately representing us, that scratchbuilt (or user built to use their terms) foamie planes don't lend themselves to the tech/rules and in use present a miniscule danger to the airspace. Also that the proposed rules would impose a financial, usage and performance restriction on our part of the hobby orders of magnitude beyond our risk.

Get those comments in with specifics of how it will harm us and/or how it will not achieve their intent for our planes.

Lastly, I suggested that perhaps since this whole kerfuffle was precipitated by irresponsible use of "drones" multicopters, that a registration upon purchase like handgun registration, national database and required training would more effectively protect the airspace.
Feb 27, 2020, 12:33 PM
flyin' fool
Here you either join MAAC, the national governing body for model aviation, and your local club OR follow Transport Canada's guide lines, which includes a test, licence and to register each and every model. Or, if you fly 250 grams or less, your exempt from the TC's rules, which are now the law with big fines if not followed.

I hope we don't follow the FAA's new recommendation being proposed south of the 49th. Because .....................
I was on the board of director of MAAC a few years back and then they weren't interested in us scratch build foamy fans at all, so we wouldn't have them to lobby for us.

We are probably only a tiny percentage of the total who fly RC in this country.
Last edited by goldguy; Feb 27, 2020 at 12:45 PM.
Feb 27, 2020, 12:37 PM
Learning to make
Quote:
Here you either join MAAC, the national governing body for model aviation, and you local club or follow Transport Canada's guide lines, which includes a test, licence and to register each and every model.

Or, if you fly 250 grams or less, your exempt the TC's rules, which are now the law with big fines if not followed.

I was on the board of director of MAAC a few years back and then they weren't interested in us scratch build foamy fans at all.
Ouch, if you knock out a new model every week, like some seemed to do.
Feb 27, 2020, 01:11 PM
Dont Worry -----Be Happy
really ?
Feb 27, 2020, 05:56 PM
flyin' fool
Yes, and it's 5 bucks a pop!!!!

That's why I'm 8.8 ounces / 250 grams and under, which is OK by me because I like small. I guess I'm actually the only one in my group that's legal.
Last edited by goldguy; Feb 27, 2020 at 06:02 PM.
Feb 27, 2020, 06:04 PM
flyin' fool
Still better than what the FAA is proposing, TRANSPONDERS on everything!!!
Feb 27, 2020, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
I watched the video report of Josh from flitetest of his trip to DC yesterday. The implication was that the people they talked with were mostly unaware of the whole concept of parkflyer foamies, scratchbuilding , and the whole part of the hobby we participate in. Josh stated that those informed were appreciative of learning about us. I suspect that AMA and the other industry groups have focused on competition, club fields sites, etc and we small beans are lost in the dialogs. It would behoove us to be very specific about our interests when we give our responses.
Josh and the guys at Flite Test are incredibly sharp. If any group can effect change and represent traditional modelers I would put my money on them. They have done an amazing job of bringing a new wave of builders/flyers into the hobby.

Quick Reply