Feb 24, 2020, 08:35 AM
treefinder
Like them or not, (and I don't prefer their paper on build techniques -always been a paper off guy) flitetest has been a great supporter of the scratchbuilt foamie parkflyer part of the hobby. I've been to a couple of Flitefests, and they were a lot of fun, my planes got good responses, even sold some foam. I supposed should support both AMA and Flitetest as well as sending in our own comments. Not much to lose, and a lot to gain.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2020, 06:47 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
We need all the help we can get ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Feb 25, 2020, 10:17 AM
Retired CAD guy
I believe that the latest estimate was over 120 "T"rillion of help !

No time for Hobbys what so ever when you are getting
Free Health care and
Free Tuition so you can qualify for
$20/ month income
and Walk or Bike to work with no fossil fuels available.
No more "foam " of any kind either !

Glad I'm 73 and won't have to deal with that life style.
Feb 25, 2020, 02:44 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
The Future … Hemp Foam , you crash and you eat it …or smoke it … hahahahaha Solar charging ( I’ve already done that !!! ) Who knows … ???
Yeah , we old guys had all the Fun … the children must adapt …

Work ??? Robots will be doing all the work , the guys will be at home all the time under the constant command of their wives … It will be Hell … hahahaha
Feb 25, 2020, 03:44 PM
Learning to make
Wow, you guys are grumpy for someone who had a party and was able to leave us kids with the bill.
Cheer up!
Feb 26, 2020, 02:26 AM
flyin' fool
Strange but true ....................

On this and one other of Glen's threads I was 'blocked' even though I never ever posted because I was blocked. For some reason it's been corrected????
Feb 26, 2020, 02:45 AM
flyin' fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajazo
........... 250grs is the limit for free rc plane!!!! ( love little machines but are too limited!!!) 400feet range limit!!!!
Rodrigo:

I've been flying 250 gram/8.8 ounce model aircraft for almost 6 decades (big ones too) and here in Canada the altitude limit for all sized models is 400 feet, so small is mostly limited to how good your eye sight is.

Frank
Last edited by goldguy; Feb 26, 2020 at 03:07 AM.
Feb 26, 2020, 03:01 AM
flyin' fool
The hobby has been taken over by the manufacturing and selling of expensive prebuild model aircraft, and the governing bodies in each country don't give a crap about us 'foamie fans'.

Besides, just look at the declining interest in the scratch build forms. Post on page one and it seems to stay there forever.
Last edited by goldguy; Feb 26, 2020 at 03:28 AM.
Feb 26, 2020, 03:15 AM
Learning to make
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Rodrigo:

I've been flying 250 gram/8.8 ounce model aircraft for almost 6 decades (big ones too) and here in Canada the altitude limit for all sized models is 400 feet, so small is mostly limited to how good your eye sight is.

Frank
It's always amazing to see a +1m wingspan aircraft that's under 250 grams.
Feb 26, 2020, 03:26 AM
flyin' fool
I don't see the connection???
Feb 26, 2020, 03:55 AM
Learning to make
Apologies. There isn't, was just generally admiring the abilities of the community.
Feb 26, 2020, 05:43 AM

Tomorrow’s Foamies !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Rodrigo:

Frank

The only problem with 250grs is fly on windy places and it implies the death of the scale rc plane and lot of categories of the sport (F3A for example).
And 400ft altitude limite is not a problem but range is another history.

Anyway both criteria are ok if you want fly freely anywhere (I wierd idea btw) but why can you not exceed this limit in closed areas as certified rc clubs?
Feb 26, 2020, 06:03 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Yes , things are changing , and we must adapt …
Gold , I’m on several other forums where we BUILD things …. All show a sharp decline in the past decade … Trend ??? And it would seem the new generation doesn’t even have the capability (or desire ) to even assemble Ikea furniture …
But we come from a time ( dinosaurs ) when people were encouraged to build things … Books , magazines , all had plans for making many things .. Not anymore !!! Everything now is an advertisement for Chinese ARFs … on your I phone …
I assume (?) there will always be “ modelers” , just less of us now …

Come to think of it , I used to know people who regularly built plastic models ( display) , But nobody does that anymore either … AFAIK …
Feb 26, 2020, 06:24 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
And consider this … The Hobby Industry did NOTHING for we Foamie scratch Builders … I pretty much gave up on Hobby Shops a while back , because they never stocked anything i needed , save bits of wire or glue , and the only parts they had were five times the price of the very same Chinese products we could now get online … Now , many of them are gone , the remaining ones here only visited by old timers anymore …

All the while the market is FLOODED with Drones in all manner and sizes , and delivery potential … Aside from so called commercial uses , all the people I know that bought drones flew them as High as they could ( speck) and then pretty much put them away to rot in a closet with all the other Techno toys we see today that turn out with NO CHALLENGE , that quickly become “ Boring” …
Feb 26, 2020, 07:20 AM
Learning to make
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
And consider this … The Hobby Industry did NOTHING for we Foamie scratch Builders … I pretty much gave up on Hobby Shops a while back , because they never stocked anything i needed , save bits of wire or glue , and the only parts they had were five times the price of the very same Chinese products we could now get online …
Same here. Usually feels like the hardware store is a better bet!
At least we can often find something there to MacGyver.

Quick Reply