Mar 24, 2020, 05:12 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
And a question for slopers …. We had no luck tossing LAR planes into the winds off our levee’s , but our best luck was with an old balsa Tercel Glider ( remember those ) … What’s up with that ???
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2020, 03:14 PM
flyin' fool
Too much drag??
Mar 24, 2020, 03:32 PM
flyin' fool
Make your own slope ....................

Car-slope soaring / Hangfliegen überm Auto (2 min 8 sec)
Mar 24, 2020, 04:49 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Gold , I think you’re absolutely right , LAR great for hovering , crap for sloping …

Carsloping , I guess that’s good when the wind is down …
Mar 24, 2020, 09:36 PM
flyin' fool
Can't pull that off now, the occupants are not allowed to be that close to one another.
Mar 25, 2020, 04:51 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Aargh !!!!
Mar 25, 2020, 06:35 AM
Pass me that hammer...........
If you are stuck indoors and have a hot wire cutter and a bit of polystyrene foam packaging, you can make your own slope soarer and your own slope and go slope soaring indoors......

Why are ULTRA FOAM Walkalong Gliders so Different? (5 min 13 sec)
Mar 25, 2020, 01:39 PM
flyin' fool
Gotta a bad knee so all I could do is CCW circles.
Mar 26, 2020, 05:52 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
And just saying a walk along Glider with a small motor works SUPER !!!! We worked through all that culminating in the Big Horten ( just a BIG powered walkalong glider essentially ) … FUN !!!
Mar 26, 2020, 09:32 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
So the walk-along glider in the video is built from approximately...nothing.

What does a motorized walk-along glider look like? IE, DIY link?

EDIT -- I found this, but the link is dead.

"Have a look at http://www.geocities.com/x_surfer2004/ for links and plans.
I haven't seen a commercially made walkalong for years other than the one linked on that page.
Steve"
Last edited by hard line; Mar 26, 2020 at 10:46 AM.
Mar 26, 2020, 01:08 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

And where it started for us … https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r-Fanfoam-Wing

As far as the flight characteristics …
(4 min 51 sec)
It’s no racer…
Last edited by gpw; Mar 26, 2020 at 01:18 PM.
Mar 26, 2020, 01:28 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
The secret of the walkalong glider aside from undercambered airfoil and LIGHT weight is Wing Sweep, Dihedral , and tip washout … However the shape , if you do all Three (3) of those things , it’ll fly like one .. Plenty of room for design experimentation within those parameters … and that’s just with chuck gliders …
The Big Horton (60”) WAG variant , it flew very Blimp-like , a geared J250 swinging a 12” prop …. Flown too fast and it would surely “tuck under” … On calm days it would just float around , and we got sucked up in a thermal once and had to Dive out of it … Bit scary with such a flimsy plane … But It made it , no worries … Still have it ...
Mar 26, 2020, 02:47 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Thanks. I think I'll do a half-way project first. I have a conventional DIY 30" $TF KFm wing that glides very well. By building another with no paper, half the motor and a quarter the battery I think I can have the same wing area with half the weight. Will have to tractor the motor so I can make CG with such a small battery. EZ project and I'll see where that takes me. It'll be structurally wimpy, so will have to see if I can live with that.
Mar 27, 2020, 01:05 AM
flyin' fool
No tears prop protector for tractors ..................................

I just sharpen one end, insert and add a dab of hot melt.
Mar 27, 2020, 05:08 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Although we’ve gone with a monowheel ( or none at all) , That’s even Lighter !!!

Quick Reply