Feb 20, 2020, 06:57 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
Discussion

Tomorrow’s Foamies !!!

Hey Guys , It looks like the government is confusing our Foamie Model plane flying with the "Evil Drones” … The Hobby dealers large and small are in a panic … and predicting a model-less future for us all ...
So what will we be flying tomorrow ??? Or will the “nature" of the government change with a personnel change ??????

Gone unchallenged, what will be next , no RC Cars or boats either ??? How far will this be allowed to go … ???
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2020, 07:39 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
The two RC Clubs I belong to have been very active in encouraging their members to voice their opinions about this ruling. I submitted my comments about 2 weeks ago and I urge anyone who has NOT to do so ASAP. If you belong to FB you can find a template for your comments posted there. I also believe that the AMA has one set up as well.
Feb 20, 2020, 08:00 AM
Please US rc pilots post your comment soon , only 11 days left to do it.
I can comment because I am not US citizen but I hope you refuse this project because bad ideas are copied and my country is not the exception, and I start flying thanks to this community...
Good luck

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Feb 20, 2020, 08:37 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Foamies ????

I thought a certain group want all forms of plastics band, .... back to balsa and tissue.

Feb 20, 2020, 08:39 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Nearly forgot, all your planes will need to be 'vegan' as well.

Feb 20, 2020, 09:22 AM
I've started drawing up sub-250 gram models and have purchased a few micro receivers. Guess we won't be needing clubs, either, just parking lots or sidewalk runways.

CD
Feb 21, 2020, 05:56 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
If we Do something and it fails at least we tried !!! If we do nothing these uncaring bureaucrats will bully us right out of a Hobby , I’ve personally enjoyed for 60+ years … grrrr!!!
Feb 21, 2020, 06:16 AM
Learning to make
Wishing you a good result from across the ocean!
Seems like those bureaucrats need to know what model flying is like
Feb 21, 2020, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
The two RC Clubs I belong to have been very active in encouraging their members to voice their opinions about this ruling. I submitted my comments about 2 weeks ago and I urge anyone who has NOT to do so ASAP. If you belong to FB you can find a template for your comments posted there. I also believe that the AMA has one set up as well.
Please don't use the templates. You just become a tally mark then.
You have more impact on the situation if you give your input in your own words.
Feb 21, 2020, 11:48 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetepTrun
Please don't use the templates. You just become a tally mark then.
You have more impact on the situation if you give your input in your own words.
I agree. If you use the templates as a guideline and use your own words around them, it's much better. Just cutting and pasting the templates,...not so much.

But like I recently saw in an AMA newsletter, they're saying ANY response is better than none. So that's giving the go ahead to just cut and paste.

I don't agree with that philosophy because it takes the impact out of your statement. But I can see many people who see crafting their own response as too daunting not even trying unless it's made overly easy for them
Feb 21, 2020, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
I agree. If you use the templates as a guideline and use your own words around them, it's much better. Just cutting and pasting the templates,...not so much.

But like I recently saw in an AMA newsletter, they're saying ANY response is better than none. So that's giving the go ahead to just cut and paste.

I don't agree with that philosophy because it takes the impact out of your statement. But I can see many people who see crafting their own response as too daunting not even trying unless it's made overly easy for them
It is better than none at all, but not by much. Ok for people who are not interested in RC and just want to put in a general 'whatever he said' to support us.
But for those of us who fly at all, this is the most important time ever to put effort into the hobby. I've been working on mine in the evenings on and off for a couple weeks now, when I'd rather have been building a plane or gaming. Still not satisfied with it.
Feb 21, 2020, 03:25 PM
I read it part of the project and is ridiculous!!!!
Seriously, is it more difficult fly a rc aircraft than get a gun????
250grs is the limit for free rc plane!!!! ( love little machines but are too limited!!!)
400feet range limit!!!!

I know drones put skies upside down around the world (DJI new mavic are sub 250grs ) but rc aircraft are in other categories!!! Even the most dangerous rc airplanes ( the bigger or the faster (jet or propeller)) are used in limited areas and has lot of security protocol to avoid risks.... this law ( or whatever) should be encourage defined fly areas and clubs for our sport , not kill it!!!

Again, a 500 or 1kg foamie is more dangerous than a rifle or automatic gun?
Feb 22, 2020, 06:24 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
This unfortunately has been brewing for a long time now … ever since the first Idiot asked how to fire rockets from a Drone … Then there’s been all those Drone “incidents” … flying over airports , spying on everybody , and being generally annoying …
Something you Never hear real Plane Modelers doing …
It’s as if we’re being lumped in with a criminal element , just because the government doesn’t have the sense or inclination to separate the two activities …

Without being “political” it would seem it’s time for a Change in government … Not Modelers !!! JMHO
Feb 23, 2020, 09:07 AM
treefinder
I watched the video report of Josh from flitetest of his trip to DC yesterday. The implication was that the people they talked with were mostly unaware of the whole concept of parkflyer foamies, scratchbuilding , and the whole part of the hobby we participate in. Josh stated that those informed were appreciative of learning about us. I suspect that AMA and the other industry groups have focused on competition, club fields sites, etc and we small beans are lost in the dialogs. It would behoove us to be very specific about our interests when we give our responses.
Feb 24, 2020, 06:56 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
“ I suspect that AMA and the other industry groups have focused on competition, club fields sites, etc and we small beans are lost in the dialogs.”

That seems to be the Truth of the situation … All the AMA clubs around here really didn’t want Foamies or at least the scratch -built type … I met great resistance when wanting to join an AMA club with my small electric foamie creations … AMA supports the INDUSTRY , not modelers like you and me .. They have proven ineffective at fighting for all modeler’s rights in the past , ( unless it was PROFITABLE to the Industry they serve ) so why should they now …

Quick Reply