Oct 09, 2020, 12:28 AM
Thread OP
Thanks All.

I looked at the idea of having some catch mechanism, but it may be difficult with the current setup. For 1 degree of movement on the link, the gear strut moves 5+ degrees towards the end of the retracted movement. I still need to play some more with linkage lengths so there might still be a way to implement it. Otherwise, I may do some trickery to use the inboard gear door to keep the gear in place. This movement is also why I think the wheels sag when retracted, the small amount of slop is magnified from the geometry.

Full-scale it looks like the lower leg has rollers that go into an up-lock catch mechanism . My gear-door idea might act in a similar fashion.

I managed to get a somewhat successful implementation of the JP actuator to deploy the gear. There is some struggle by the gear-up position due to a very weak mechanical advantage with the lever arms. When the wing is right side up, it can deploy gear down, but falls ~10 degrees short when going gear up. If the wing is upside-down, it can go gear down without issues, but the actuator tries to swing the gear out, but hits overcurrent almost immediately.

pardon the video aspect ratio, didn't catch it until I saved it to my computer.

1/7.5 Scale T-2A Buckeye Main Landing Gear Test (0 min 50 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2020, 11:07 PM
Nice work!!!!

On the 767 the main gear do not have unlocks, in cruise they rest on the doors. So your idea has merit!

Paul
Oct 29, 2020, 12:28 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Paul.

My hope was to have a flyable 3d printed model before the end of the year, but the MLG kinematics slowed my down on top of extra OT at work. I'm going to pick the project back up around Thanksgiving.

The main landing gear and gear door linkages/kinematics I believe will be the most time-consuming portion which is why I want to nail it down before moving on to the rest of the model.

Quick Reply