Feb 18, 2020, 05:52 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Any info on this pipe/muffler would be appreciated..

Bought this a while ago and don't have a need for it really. Not sure of the performance. It has a tube in the rear section that has a spring loaded "piston" that moves back under higher pressure and opens more exhaust holes. The spring is adjustable. Anyone have knowledge of this and does it actually help???

My thought is that the adjustable output port allows it to change the resonant frequency of the pipe and increase performance over a wider rpm range. Although not matching that of a real tuned pipe. Totally wrong?? No clue...
Last edited by kablake; Feb 18, 2020 at 06:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2020, 05:56 PM
Car or heli pipe?
Feb 18, 2020, 06:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
Car or heli pipe?
I have no idea. I bought it on the glow engine page..
Feb 18, 2020, 06:30 PM
I mean it looks like a car or a heli pipe...
Feb 18, 2020, 06:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I mean it looks like a car or a heli pipe...
Ahhh, I saw the question mark...
Feb 19, 2020, 09:27 AM
I would agree, it is a car muffler/pipe. You commonly see those on RC car engines. Unfortunately, many companies and businesses made car mufflers and pipes. So it would be difficult to identify a particular brand etc. Sometimes one company would make them for several different car companies using similar engines. ASP and some others would make the same engine under many different brand names too. Their engine molds had a insert position for putting in different brand names for logos.

it is likely for the .10 through .18 size RC car engines. Those are the most common size Rc car engines used. it looks like a pretty good one and it would work well too. The spring loaded valve was probably for full throttle operation, closing helped back pressure allowing the engine to idle a little better. It would work for a model airplane too. But it might be tuned a little too high in RPMs though. but hard to tell until one tries it. You can use longer connecting hose between the engine and pipe though.
Last edited by earlwb; Feb 19, 2020 at 09:31 AM. Reason: add more info
Feb 19, 2020, 11:23 AM
In racing they are called "slippy pipes" while for RC the patent refers to them as "modular tuned pipes": https://patents.google.com/patent/US8322133
Feb 19, 2020, 11:58 AM
Something like this was sold as a 'throttle pipe' in the UK for a while.

Do they actually help throttle response?
Feb 19, 2020, 12:16 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNash
Something like this was sold as a 'throttle pipe' in the UK for a while.

Do they actually help throttle response?
Doubt it... I remember mufflers and pipes of similar principle being sold for a short period of time, but they never caught on. So I guess, the idea is nice but does not really work.
Feb 19, 2020, 12:52 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kablake
Bought this a while ago and don't have a need for it really. Not sure of the performance. It has a tube in the rear section that has a spring loaded "piston" that moves back under higher pressure and opens more exhaust holes. The spring is adjustable. Anyone have knowledge of this and does it actually help???

My thought is that the adjustable output port allows it to change the resonant frequency of the pipe and increase performance over a wider rpm range. Although not matching that of a real tuned pipe. Totally wrong?? No clue...
As I mentioned in your classifieds ad I also bought one. It looks very much like something from China. The finishing is similar to many Asian products. The theory may be sound. It looks like an adjustable tuned pipe.

The main reason why I have not used it is because it is rather BIG and heavy and does not fit into any one of my current project. Maybe one day I will try to run it on the test stand and see what it does.

The inlet pipe on mine have a rather large diameter so it may need some sort of adaptation to fit on most of my headers. Could very well be a 30cc size tuned muffler.
Feb 19, 2020, 12:55 PM
AMA 46133
>>it is likely for the .10 through .18 size RC car engines. Those are the most common size Rc car engines used.<<

If Kevin has the same one I bought from the classifieds the muffler is HUGE. Definitely not for a .10 to .18 size engine. I would guess it is more for a 30cc size engine. When I get a chance today I will take some pictures with some size reference.
Feb 19, 2020, 01:45 PM
AMA 46133
Ok I stand corrected. The muffler if it is the same one is NOT quite as heavy and large as I original thought. Now that I am actually measuring the thing. I put an OS 855 muffler for the OS 1.08 next to it for comparison in dimension and weight.

The wall on this muffler is fairly thick. That's what led to my initial thought of it being heavy. It is not light like a thin walled Macs tuned pipe.

I still think it is from Asian though.

There is a spring and a plunger on the tip of the cone to adjust or tune the muffler. The interior does look like a 1/4 wave tuned pipe.
Feb 19, 2020, 02:17 PM
Thx Hansen, now we can see its dimensions, I can use it on my MVVS120 I think...
Feb 19, 2020, 04:38 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Thx Hansen, now we can see its dimensions, I can use it on my MVVS120 I think...
I think so. I think anything from a 60 ci/10cc on up will be find for this muffler.
Feb 19, 2020, 06:43 PM
GloBroz PowerLab
This polished pipe is for a 1/5th scale Rc truck made by CVEC. The good CVEC pipes have an internal battle that moves based on exhaust pressure giving an adjustable tuned length on the fly. Some CVEC pipes don’t have the dynamic baffle and are just hollow. I have a 1/10th scale CVEC that’s hollow. They sold different ID stingers in addition to dynamic baffling. They are no longer in production and are often sought after by bashers all over. This being for a 1/5th scale limits your buyer base, but they do work well. 1/5th scale is typically 25-50cc displacement gasoline/spark engines.

https://picclick.com/Tuned-Pipe-Muff...888378179.html

Quick Reply