Feb 18, 2020, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
Contest

NORCAL Coastal #1 (Let's Try Again 3/1)

Guys,

I think we should reboot this as this weekends wind looks pretty strong at Thornton. I will be the CD in case Mike R is not available for this weekend I have the poles and timing gear. We should shoot for this weekend as forecast looks good, schedule is clear and it would be better than wait for unknown conditions for the backup date.

If you guys are registered and don't want to race then please un-register yourself. Rather than try to mess around we will not hold a race unless we have confirmed 6 pilots. The thinking is if somebody drops out we can still have a race.

Here are signups: https://www.f3xvault.com/?action=eve...&event_id=1816

Wind is looking stronger than this last weekend.
Last edited by funkyfreestyler; Feb 26, 2020 at 12:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2020, 04:13 PM
Thread OP
Windy forecast:
Feb 19, 2020, 03:31 PM
Thread OP
Fort Ross will also work. Hopefully some guys sign up or Ken Gregory chimes in, it would be a shame to lose a good weekend of wind.
Feb 19, 2020, 08:28 PM
Thanks for getting this thread going on our 1st 2020 coastal race. Looking at the current wind forecasts it looks like at this time both FR and Thornton should be working for us. I'd like some idea of who would be up for racing at Fort Ross or Thornton.

Will be looking at forecast models for the best race experience.

Post your comments.

Thanks
Feb 19, 2020, 09:05 PM
Traveling out of state on Sunday.
Bummered out to miss it, but stoked for you guys. Looks great for both places.

st
Feb 20, 2020, 09:48 AM
I have been working in east coast since Tuesday of this week, and planning to fly back home Friday or Saturday so I count me in for racing on Sunday. Both sites fine with me. Thanks.
Feb 20, 2020, 09:59 AM
Expert Rekitter
Can't make it this weekend, bummed to miss this one!
Feb 20, 2020, 01:00 PM
Thread OP
I'm for whatever place will get the most people to show up : Looks like we have 5 and need a couple of more. Perhaps we need to send an email to NCSS group to recruit.
Feb 20, 2020, 08:59 PM
Reg Link:

https://www.f3xvault.com/?action=eve...&event_id=1816
Feb 21, 2020, 08:23 AM
Montara, CA
Sorry guys, I can't make this one.

Bill
Feb 21, 2020, 10:18 AM
Looking at different weather models it looks like Thornton is going to have the best weather conditions for our first coastal race. FR looks like the wind later in afternoon which would push race into late afternoon.

Thornton is the call and if everybody can be in parking lot by 10. We are going to need timing gear. If who ever has it can chime in that would be a big help.

We should be able to race as soon as we get everything setup. Since this is our first coastal race planning on warm up flights for our pilots, starting soon after. Looking at NW winds in the 12 to 18 gusting into the 20's on Sunday.

Coastal F3F racing will give you the best speeds and more consistent race experience.
As always Safety is a Paramount concern so it is important that we all look after each other and spectators. Thornton also is just south of Funston which is a popular hang glider spot so we will need to be aware of close encounters. Bring your AMA cards with you at the time of registration and $10.00.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/membership/enroll

Check back on this thread on Saturday for any updates.

Looking forward to a fun day.
Last edited by imacswd; Feb 21, 2020 at 10:23 AM.
Feb 22, 2020, 01:43 AM
I have poles, timing gear, clipboard, race sheet and pen. Gel cell will be charged. Also will bring my compass and range finder to setup a proper course. Could use a few chairs tho.

And hopefully more pilots sign-up.
Feb 22, 2020, 07:08 AM
Thanks Merhdad, looks like the wind is shifting more westerly. WNW, should be a perfect direction. Yes, would like to see a few more pilots signups. 5 as of this writing.
Feb 22, 2020, 04:19 PM
Thread OP
Getting a little practice right now feels pretty straight in 20 mph, excellent conditions.
Feb 22, 2020, 06:36 PM
Thread OP
Wind peaked at about 24-25 straight in, I believe times in the 30s were possible. Hopefully tomorrow will be similar.

Quick Reply