Feb 18, 2020, 04:01 PM
Thread OP
Question

Card stock for small scale models?

I'm building a small 28" span Pietenpol air camper which was originally designed for rubber power and which I'm going to fit a small outrunner and micro rc gear.

My question is that the plan calls for using cardstock for some of the cowls and cockpit coamings etc. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for specifically when searching for card to use on these parts? Also I plan to cover the model with tissue and water based dope, will this be compatible over card?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2020, 04:52 PM
Big gov never Works
Strathmore Bristol Board 300 Vellum. Copy those words into a search engine. The product was invented in Bristol, England. There are several weights.

Fuzz
Feb 18, 2020, 04:55 PM
Big gov never Works
Quote:
Also I plan to cover the model with tissue and water based dope, will this be compatible over card?
WB products usually expands any wood base product. A coat of acrylic may need be used first. Krylon type clear spray.
Feb 18, 2020, 09:18 PM
Neophyte hacker
I just use manilla folder material. Don't know what you call it in the UK.

charlie
Feb 18, 2020, 10:25 PM
My dad used Manila folder card all the time, also the green file hangers out of filing cabinets. Used that instead of 1/64 ply for gussetting open frames
Feb 18, 2020, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
I just use manilla folder material. Don't know what you call it in the UK.

charlie
Same here, it is stiff enough and smooth. Cuts very clean with a sharp razor.

Phil
Feb 19, 2020, 04:12 AM
you haven't seen a tree until
I suspect that you will find most cards will seal OK with mod podge (a little drying time needed) without it going soggy and mushy) as it is designed for working on card for decoupage.) Abi used the sparkly version of it on her school exercise books and they seemed relatively resiliant after that!
Bristol Board is nice smooth card work with. But nothing wrong with using manilla/expanding file card either. for long thin strips or card a bit thinner you might find quilling card good. I found this brilliant for cutting to even thinner strips and still being plyable for the trigger and grip on the lewis on the demon. (Though I hope that you don't have one of these on your Peit. but anything a little more intracate it is good stuff)
Feb 19, 2020, 08:31 AM
No need to cover the card just spray them and put in place after the fuselage is covered.
Feb 20, 2020, 03:15 AM
Thread OP
Thanks very much for all the suggestions. I've ordered the card and can now proceed

Quick Reply