Manned Multirotor Aerobatic Drone

OK, this is pretty epic. The guys behind the Drone Champions League (DCL) have created the worlds first manned aerobatic multirotor.

Splash

Watch this video!

OK, this is pretty epic. The guys behind the Drone Champions League (DCL) have created the worlds first manned aerobatic multirotor. Initial testing has completed marking a historic maiden flight milestone that took place in Vrsar. Drone Champions AG, the founder of DCL, is one step closer to its vision to create a brand-new future racing experience and to recruit drone pilots through DCL The Game.

Now to be fair, the aerobatic portions of the video look to be unmanned and the manned section which consists of hovering slightly above the ground, look to be remotely piloted. That means there is still a lot of work to go into the system to get pilot controls and actually perform manned aerobatics, but this is a great start. It really could ignite the next level of manned flight, or it could just be a clever bit of marketing for the DCL game. Either way, it's a great video to watch.

Thread Tools
Feb 18, 2020, 10:57 AM
Freelance Cinematographer
iancresswell's Avatar
You couldn't pay me enough to fly in a manned multirotor. Anything happens and you're dead. No autorotation if your powerplant fails. You just die. Interesting to watch though, and a slick design.
Feb 18, 2020, 11:17 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Repaid1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancresswell
You couldn't pay me enough to fly in a manned multirotor. Anything happens and you're dead. No autorotation if your powerplant fails. You just die. Interesting to watch though, and a slick design.
Oh I don't know Ian, It's not just a Quad it is a Hex and Dual Hex being 12 motors (Pretty sure that has some name equivalent...didn't google it ), so even if one whole arm went out (Something Happens) your not dead? It would take a catastrophic failure to see any real "Death" a possibility. The chance of that happening on this flight frame and system would be substantially lower than that of a single rotor as I see if. And structural failure on a fixed wing or single rotor is going to have the same if not worse impact. I'm not volunteering for any test flights mind you, let alone thinking I could ever afford one. But even at a low altitude a ballistic chute could surely improve a chance of survival in all but the most extreme of failures, I am sure it's has redundancy out the Ying-Yang as well, but that is just my two cents.
Last edited by Repaid1; Feb 18, 2020 at 11:29 AM.
Feb 18, 2020, 11:28 AM
Freelance Cinematographer
iancresswell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
Oh I don't know Ian, It's not just a Hex it's a Dual Hex being 12 motors (Pretty sure that has some name equivalent...didn't google it ), so even if one whole arm went out (Something Happens) your not dead? It would take a catastrophic failure to see any real "Death" a possibility. The chance of that happening on this flight frame and system would be substantially lower than that of a single rotor as I see if. And structural failure on a fixed wing or single rotor is going to have the same if not worse impact. I'm not volunteering for any test flights mind you, let alone thinking I could ever afford one. But even at a low altitude a ballistic chute could surely improve a chance of survival in all but the most extreme of failures, I am sure it's has redundancy out the Ying-Yang as well, but that is just my two cents.
I'm not so much worried about a failure of a single motor/prop/arm/etc. Or even two. I'm more worried about a system level failure or powerplant failure. An electrical short somewhere due to an overdraw or x,y,z, and you're dead. It's not like a paramotor or something where you get to glide down. Or a fixed wing plane. Or even a helicopter where you can autorotate. No, if something goes wrong... you drop like a rock. I still think it's super cool, but scary and sketchy AF. I wouldn't want anybody I like to step foot in one, that's for sure. I'd rather take my chances wingsuiting before I'd hop into a multirotor like that thing. Maybe on the 15th revision once they've ironed everything out to have crazy good tolerances and failure rates.
Feb 18, 2020, 11:41 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Repaid1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancresswell
I'm not so much worried about a failure of a single motor/prop/arm/etc. Or even two. I'm more worried about a system level failure or powerplant failure. An electrical short somewhere due to an overdraw or x,y,z, and you're dead. It's not like a paramotor or something where you get to glide down. Or a fixed wing plane. Or even a helicopter where you can autorotate. No, if something goes wrong... you drop like a rock. I still think it's super cool, but scary and sketchy AF. I wouldn't want anybody I like to step foot in one, that's for sure. I'd rather take my chances wingsuiting before I'd hop into a multirotor like that thing. Maybe on the 15th revision once they've ironed everything out to have crazy good tolerances and failure rates.
I get ya...Upon watching the video all the way through I did note that..pilot isn't inside like some other ventures...who do you trust enough to let them sit on the ground while they "wing" me through the maneuvers?..sitting in there like a hamster in a cage..not me brother...IF I'm going into it..I want control..of at least the ballistic chute which better be automated again up the ying-yang of those X,Y..Z things your speaking of

But to each their own (Kids)..funny to see Flight Test there...those guys are a bit nuts to begin with, but love their channel on making things fly that "Shouldn't".
Feb 18, 2020, 11:46 AM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
If it's manned, it is NOT a drone. I guess everything is a drone now!!
Feb 18, 2020, 11:51 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Repaid1's Avatar
Retracted definition changed
Feb 18, 2020, 12:05 PM
Registered User
At the moment it doesn't seem to have enough lift for a human. The acro portion is flown with a lightweight dummy. And the human portion is a few seconds of hovering using ground effect.

The propellers seems to be awfully small compared to similar contraptions flying humans. And a dual motor configuration is not as efficient as completely separate propellers in clean air.

Cool project, but it looks like they still can't solve the fundamental problem of the battery capacity and weight carrying ability... And with batteries improving slowly, it's going to be a long time before this is feasible with any safety margin. And, no, there is no magic battery tech on the horizon: if there were, Tesla would not invest as much money as they are in Gigafactories based on current tech. At this point in time, Musk has proven over and over again that if there is a way to deploy new tech, he's at the forefront, and no company has more to gain than Tesla in figuring out new battery tech. With Musk's resources, if there were anything truly new on the horizon, he would have already invested in it
Feb 18, 2020, 02:44 PM
Registered User
Well, that's one way to get away from the Faa RID.
Feb 18, 2020, 04:30 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancresswell
I'm not so much worried about a failure of a single motor/prop/arm/etc. Or even two. I'm more worried about a system level failure or powerplant failure. An electrical short somewhere due to an overdraw or x,y,z, and you're dead. It's not like a paramotor or something where you get to glide down. Or a fixed wing plane. Or even a helicopter where you can autorotate. No, if something goes wrong... you drop like a rock. I still think it's super cool, but scary and sketchy AF. I wouldn't want anybody I like to step foot in one, that's for sure. I'd rather take my chances wingsuiting before I'd hop into a multirotor like that thing. Maybe on the 15th revision once they've ironed everything out to have crazy good tolerances and failure rates.
You can just slap a parachute on it.
Feb 18, 2020, 08:27 PM
Registered User
dkemxr's Avatar
How is this any different than any other "manned drone" like the flying bathtub for example? It's just another large multirotor. I particularly like the high quality video of tightening bolts with nut runners...
Last edited by dkemxr; Feb 18, 2020 at 08:34 PM.
Feb 18, 2020, 09:34 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Repaid1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkemxr
How is this any different than any other "manned drone" like the flying bathtub for example? It's just another large multirotor. I particularly like the high quality video of tightening bolts with nut runners...
Yeah I assume that they edited out for time the torque wrench to spec At least the guy flying the tub down to the local store had the controls inside with him and he was the pilot though.
Feb 18, 2020, 09:51 PM
Registered User
dkemxr's Avatar
Yes, you are right. Bathtub Boy was much more impressive.

This question came up when a friend of mine decided to try skydiving a few years ago. Life insurance for risk takers:

It is crucial to tell the truth if you are asked about hobbies or sports, such as skydiving, when you apply for life insurance coverage. Life insurance policies are subject to a two-year contestability period. During this time, a life insurance company can cancel your policy or deny a beneficiary's life insurance claim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
Yeah I assume that they edited out for time the torque wrench to spec At least the guy flying the tub down to the local store had the controls inside with him and he was the pilot though.
Feb 18, 2020, 09:52 PM
Registered User
dkemxr's Avatar
Duplicate
Feb 18, 2020, 10:56 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Repaid1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkemxr
This question came up when a friend of mine decided to try skydiving a few years ago. Life insurance for risk takers:

It is crucial to tell the truth if you are asked about hobbies or sports, such as skydiving, when you apply for life insurance coverage. Life insurance policies are subject to a two-year contestability period. During this time, a life insurance company can cancel your policy or deny a beneficiary's life insurance claim
Hmmm not to keep it off topic but I wonder where that puts those of us who served. I did 10 years in The Marines and had a decent $250,000 for my wife then with the SGLI plan. Would think that should rate pretty high in the whole scheme of "Risk Takers". Been many moons since I have had that policy not sure what it cost back then but pretty sure it was around $15 or $20 a month...course they kept all of it once I got out...pretty good racket.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion man flying drone in New York city crash.almost hit man viclick Multirotor Drone Talk 7 Feb 26, 2020 01:27 PM
Discussion what's the difference of mini multirotor drones and micro multirotor drones dopuda Micro Multirotor Drones 2 Mar 07, 2017 08:09 AM
Discussion Another Successful Manned Multirotor Cyberdactyl Life, The Universe, and Politics 9 Jul 17, 2016 12:15 AM
Discussion sandiego union tribune man-jailed-beach-drone-confrontation T Shirt downs drone treehog Life, The Universe, and Politics 22 Feb 28, 2016 12:57 PM
Discussion Man has sex with multirotor dronesquadron Multirotor Drone Talk 0 Jan 08, 2016 03:08 PM