Feb 18, 2020, 04:33 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Minimum pressure for infusion?

I've looked around and I can't seem to find a good answer as to if there is a minimum pressure for resin infusion?
I just finished my infusion setup/machine and it looks like my (freshly rebuilt) wobble pump can only reliably pull -24 inches.

What you think?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2020, 11:03 AM
Are you looking for a single number?

This is a process and many variables need to be considered.

What do I think? Wherever your looking around is not the right place. The internet is full of information.
Feb 27, 2020, 12:14 AM
No place like cloud base!
24" is on the low side, but i have successfully infused a heavy glass layup at that vacuum level before. You may need to restrict the resin flow by partially clamping the fill line. This will help maintain vacuum over the lay up and prevent flooding.
Mar 03, 2020, 08:56 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
There are about a thousand variables involved, but yes I agree... with most materials and at room temperature 24" is probably lowish... but I am by no means an expert at it.
Mar 05, 2020, 10:10 PM
Have infused successfully at 10" hg before with a variety of layups. Usually it comes down to what viscosity the resin has. We were using polyester and or vinylester resins, they tend to haveuch lower viscosities than epoxies. Methacrylates can work well with lower pressures too.

A benefit of infusing at lower pressures is that the laminate is less compacted, resulting in decreased resistance to flow within the laminate... BUT it also means the resin isnt being pushed as hard by atmosphere, so flow is still slow

Basically if there is ANY pressure differential between atmosphere and within the infusion cavity, there will be flow... It's just whether or not it's enough to move enough resin through enough of the laminate to get a part to turn out correctly...

Hope that wasn't too much word salad...

But at the end of the day, with epoxy, higher vacuum is usually your friend with infusions.

-david

Quick Reply