This thread is privately moderated by OBXGyrene, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 18, 2020, 02:03 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

First Plane: E-flite PT-17, 1100mm

I'm new to the world of radio control aviation. I've been wanting to get into this hobby since I was a kid the 1970s, however due to the cost, raising a family, and my duties a a Marine, I had to put it off. With the advent of the age of low-cost computer technology and the use of foam for model kits, RC aviation is now both affordable and much easier than it was in the past.

In October, I purchased and built my first model, and E-flite PT-17. Actually, since it has Navy markings it is technically an N2S. I was really impressed with this kit, and with the assistance of Monofoil Man, I was able to detail the aircraft with authentic decals, rigging, and many other scale details. I also joined the AMA and our local flying club, the Dare County RC Flyers.
Last edited by OBXGyrene; Sep 15, 2020 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Punctuation
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2020, 03:47 PM
Modeler from 60's, 70's, 80's
VERY nice looking! Is this your first R/C model?
Feb 18, 2020, 05:34 PM
Thread OP

First plane

Yes Lee, this was the first RC plane I built . Began construction at the end of October. I've got a few more details to add, such as the centripetal starter and the javelins that separate the wing rigging wires. Added a few photos, if you are interested.
Feb 18, 2020, 06:39 PM
You are an excellent modeler
Feb 18, 2020, 07:18 PM
There is a problem with R/C and you may be aware. Eventually we crash. I would be really hurt if I crashed your PT-17. I am thinking of dividing my hobby into planes that are quick to the field and I fly a LOT and planes that are slow to the field and that I only fly a few times
Last edited by lee taylor; Feb 25, 2020 at 07:50 AM.
Feb 24, 2020, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXGyrene View Post
Yes Lee, this was the first RC plane I built . Began construction at the end of October. I've got a few more details to add, such as the centripetal starter and the javelins that separate the wing rigging wires. Added a few photos, if you are interested.
Wow! Congrats man, you are going to get addicted and that one plane will soon turn into many! I have the same model and I was proud of some of the detailing I did on mine but your engine and prop look fantastic! Good for you starting/learning on this stearman. I actually got it as my 3rd larger model. I actually started on the eflite mkxiv spitfire if you can believe it! (well in truth I did fly some umx planes first and spent time on the simulator because I was so worried i'd trash the spitfire and screw up the landings in particular). You certainly can start with that stearman but I hope you have some basic experience first-at least on a simulator? Also, I am not sure if yours is the new or old stock but be aware of some cg issues with that plane. I was fairly experienced when I maidened mine and it was shooting straight up and I had to hammerhead/rudder turn over and dive it down repeatedly until I made a rather rough first landing. Almost lost it had I not had a lot of stick time and knew what to do with an extremely tail heavy plane! I added lead into some of the empty plastic cylinders on the engine. If your engine is solid you may have the new version and not need to add nose weight. Good luck!
Feb 24, 2020, 09:43 PM
DFS#000178
This being your first model, I would not fly it. Not until you are versed in the basics with an actual model that's designed as a trainer.

The PT-17 may have been a real-life trainer but it doesn't make a very good trainer in the world of RC models and with no experience, as much as I hate to say it, I don't think this one will last very long.

There are plenty of dedicated trainers out there. Find one! And welcome to the hobby.
Feb 25, 2020, 12:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireJoe View Post
Wow! Congrats man, you are going to get addicted and that one plane will soon turn into many! I have the same model and I was proud of some of the detailing I did on mine but your engine and prop look fantastic! Good for you starting/learning on this stearman. I actually got it as my 3rd larger model. I actually started on the eflite mkxiv spitfire if you can believe it! (well in truth I did fly some umx planes first and spent time on the simulator because I was so worried i'd trash the spitfire and screw up the landings in particular). You certainly can start with that stearman but I hope you have some basic experience first-at least on a simulator? Also, I am not sure if yours is the new or old stock but be aware of some cg issues with that plane. I was fairly experienced when I maidened mine and it was shooting straight up and I had to hammerhead/rudder turn over and dive it down repeatedly until I made a rather rough first landing. Almost lost it had I not had a lot of stick time and knew what to do with an extremely tail heavy plane! I added lead into some of the empty plastic cylinders on the engine. If your engine is solid you may have the new version and not need to add nose weight. Good luck!

I already have two and am looking at a third. I have been working on a simulator and don't plan to fly my N2S until I have some experience in an RC trainer. My aircraft does have the weighted cylinders and and the CG seems fine.
Feb 25, 2020, 12:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
This being your first model, I would not fly it. Not until you are versed in the basics with an actual model that's designed as a trainer.

The PT-17 may have been a real-life trainer but it doesn't make a very good trainer in the world of RC models and with no experience, as much as I hate to say it, I don't think this one will last very long.

There are plenty of dedicated trainers out there. Find one! And welcome to the hobby.

Point well taken. Looking at starting out with an Apprentice or Valiant.
Feb 25, 2020, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXGyrene View Post
Point well taken. Looking at starting out with an Apprentice or Valiant.
Good choice

Quick Reply