Thread OP
Discussion

GWS failsafe help

Help, guys.

What is the difference in laymans terms between:

Fail safe unit
Dimension: 40x21x 8.5 mm
Weight: Approximately 7 grams / 0.25 oz
Power Consumption: 2.3mA (4.8V)/3.8mA(6.0V)
Operating Voltage: 4.8V ~ 6.0V
Operating Temperature: -5N ~60N

and

Fail safe unit
Dimension: 40x21x 8.5 mm
Weight: Approximately 7 grams / 0.25 oz
Power Consumption: 7mA (4.8V)
Operating Voltage: 4.8V ~ 6.0V
Operating Temperature: -5N ~60N

Yes, i see a power consumption difference, but what in the real world would that mean?

I run 3 cell lipos and i am wanting to out this into an IC glow plane as my old Futaba Gold rc unit does not have a failsafe.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2020, 07:15 AM
A quick boo shows these to be pretty long in the tooth. Having said that, I'm assuming the one that works up to 6V and has lower current consumption is a later gen unit with better components. Otherwise they should function the same.

Depending on the number of channels you require there are better options that adding external devices. I too preferred Futaba PCM for their failsafe programming, but the cost and size of their receivers generally limited in how small an aircraft or heli I could go, (the 146iP was the exception, although it used different crystals than the rest).

I eventually tried Berg receivers available through Castle Creations and never looked back. Their 4-channels rival even the newest 2.4 for size and weight and the programmable -7 adds failsafe as well as different channel assignments via a PC link that also works with their speed controls. Software is free download.

The -7 is considerably smaller, lighter and less expensive than legacy Futaba and crystals are still readily available. With auto-shift they also work with pretty much any radio system, Futaba, Hitec, JR, Airtronics, etc.

My ONLY complaint was they maxed out at 7 channels.

Regardless of your end choice, you will need some form of regulator to drop the >11V 3S LiPo output to one tolerable to the lowest capable component such as 4.8 or 6V. If not familiar, be advised most of these are power limited, so the higher the input voltage the lower the output current capability. One I used for a while was the Castle Pro capable of up to 20A bursts. Only needed that due to the servo count and servoless retracts.

ps. I have finally moved to 2.4 for more scale realism and therefore have receivers and a PC link cable going up for sale soon, including legacy Futaba PCM and Berg.

Quick Reply