Thread Tools
Feb 24, 2020, 06:49 PM
Registered User
Audioguru again's Avatar
Horizon Hobby designed the UMX Timber to use a 200mAh to 280mAh battery as it says in my owner's manual.
It flies fine with my 280mAh battery but is nose heavy, has poor climbing and flies too fast with a 450mAh battery.
My Aero Commander flies fine with a 450mAh battery.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2020, 08:52 AM
CR5
CR5
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru again
Horizon Hobby designed the UMX Timber to use a 200mAh to 280mAh battery as it says in my owner's manual.
It flies fine with my 280mAh battery but is nose heavy, has poor climbing and flies too fast with a 450mAh battery.
My Aero Commander flies fine with a 450mAh battery.
As you said to others earlier, that's your opinion.

That's not my experience though. I run the 280 right up against the motor mount on my original baby Timber and don't find it nose heavy or fast.
Climbing is also strong, not poor. I can only imagine how much better the power will be with the new Turbo version. I'm still waiting for a reply on if I can just upgrade the motor and prop on my original version planes without hurting the built in ESC. I have a brand new one sitting in the box waiting to be upgraded if it won't overload the ESC. Either that or I'll just run it on 3S
Feb 26, 2020, 09:29 AM
Registered User
GWRIGHT's Avatar
quick note of caution. If changing from 2S to 3S you're going to 1.5 times the voltage which means if you don't also change something else (kv, prop), you'll raise the current to 2 and a quarter times the original current (current goes up as the square of the voltage, 1.5 squared is 2.25) No, it doesn't draw 4 amps but to make the math easy for illustration, say you're at 4 amps on 2S (2 squared) and you go to 3S,.. the current will then be 9 amps (3 squared,.. or 2.25 times the original current). that doesn't even cover the fact that the ESC isn't designed for 3S voltage in the first place. Although you occasionally see electronics that survive being pushed above their ratings, it's not always the case.
Latest blog entry: blog
Feb 26, 2020, 12:24 PM
CR5
CR5
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRIGHT
quick note of caution. If changing from 2S to 3S you're going to 1.5 times the voltage which means if you don't also change something else (kv, prop), you'll raise the current to 2 and a quarter times the original current (current goes up as the square of the voltage, 1.5 squared is 2.25) No, it doesn't draw 4 amps but to make the math easy for illustration, say you're at 4 amps on 2S (2 squared) and you go to 3S,.. the current will then be 9 amps (3 squared,.. or 2.25 times the original current). that doesn't even cover the fact that the ESC isn't designed for 3S voltage in the first place. Although you occasionally see electronics that survive being pushed above their ratings, it's not always the case.
I know but in the micro section the guys are saying that they've been running 3S on most of the UMX planes with no mods and they're handling it fine.
I'm a little leery of this and other than my UMX P-51 don't really see much need for it but if the new Turbo motor and prob are too much for the brick ESC then I'd look at other options. I'd prefer to just but the new motor and prop though. Maybe 2 of them and upgrade one of my P-51's at the same time
Feb 26, 2020, 05:29 PM
Registered User
Audioguru again's Avatar
The prop on the new UMX Turbo Timber is the same prop that is used with ordinary UMX Aero Commander 3000kv motors and is the same prop used on the new UMX Cirrus that has the new 3600kV motor that is more powerful than the 3400kv motor in the UMX Turbo Timber.

The Brick on the original UMX Timber has the same part number as the brick on the UMX Cirrus.
So the Turbo prop and motor should work on an original UMX Timber.

But I tried a 3600kv motor used on the UMX Cirrus on my original UMX Timber and it had the same thrust and RPM as the original 3000kv motor. I did not change the prop, maybe the original 2-blade prop overloads the brick, but the motor did not stop with over-current protection. The 3600kv motor was labelled 3600kv but its bag was labelled 3000kv. Maybe it was an old motor in a new bag?

The brick used on the UMX Turbo Timber is different to the ones on the original UMX Timber and the UMX Cirrus. It has telemetry and maybe produces more power.
Feb 26, 2020, 05:46 PM
CR5
CR5
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru again
The prop on the new UMX Turbo Timber is the same prop that is used with ordinary UMX Aero Commander 3000kv motors and is the same prop used on the new UMX Cirrus that has the new 3600kV motor that is more powerful than the 3400kv motor in the UMX Turbo Timber.

The Brick on the original UMX Timber has the same part number as the brick on the UMX Cirrus.
So the Turbo prop and motor should work on an original UMX Timber.

But I tried a 3600kv motor used on the UMX Cirrus on my original UMX Timber and it had the same thrust and RPM as the original 3000kv motor. I did not change the prop, maybe the original 2-blade prop overloads the brick, but the motor did not stop with over-current protection. The 3600kv motor was labelled 3600kv but its bag was labelled 3000kv. Maybe it was an old motor in a new bag?

The brick used on the UMX Turbo Timber is different to the ones on the original UMX Timber and the UMX Cirrus. It has telemetry and maybe produces more power.
Thanks for the info
Feb 26, 2020, 06:00 PM
Registered User
GWRIGHT's Avatar
the Cirrus is a higher speed and lower drag plane so the 3600 unloads more and works with this prop. It was one of the configurations tested in the UMX turbo timber (along with various motors and props from 1800 up to 3600kv, in small increments, lower KV with much larger props). This prop with 3400kv was the best combo for the plane. the cirrus setup was the first thing that came to mind but the draggier plane and that config just weren't the way to go.
Latest blog entry: blog
Feb 26, 2020, 06:02 PM
Registered User
dalecheek1's Avatar
MORE WRONG INFO again and again audoggy....Jason said in turbo vid that new prop and motor will Smoke the ESC in the regular timber....duh...So now you know better than HH.
Feb 26, 2020, 07:32 PM
Registered User
Clive66's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
MORE WRONG INFO again and again audoggy....Jason said in turbo vid that new prop and motor will Smoke the ESC in the regular timber....duh...So now you know better than HH.
There ya go...being nice again.
Feb 26, 2020, 07:41 PM
Registered User
dalecheek1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
There ya go...being nice again.
Thanks.... As I am always nice to all of the NO NOTHING people
Feb 26, 2020, 07:43 PM
Registered User
Clive66's Avatar
I know nothing
Feb 27, 2020, 12:00 AM
CR5
CR5
Registered User
Lol, this is fun.
Not sure how I missed the vid Dale is referring to.
I have no issues with someone calling someone out who's spreading false information on a forum. It's all the BS that drove me away from Canadian Gun Nutz which I was a regular contributor on, I just got so tired of it I stopped visiting. I would get infractions for not being nice but the guys talking out their arse didn't and were just left to keep taking chit.
I've been away from RC planes for a few years so am thirsty for knowledge and don't want to be misled.

I think I'll just leave the UMX Timber and P-51 stock, I'd hate to let the smoke out.
I can easily live with the Timber in stock form but I'd like a little more speed out of the Mustang. My Venom 300mAh 2S packs fly it really well but like all my P-51's, the more my flying skills come back the more speed I crave.
I think I'll probably concentrate on making my 1.2 a little faster. My 1.5 is a little too new and nice to mess with this early in it's life unless it was something as simple as swapping in a new prop.
Last edited by CR5; Feb 27, 2020 at 08:12 AM.
Feb 27, 2020, 12:47 AM
Registered User
dalecheek1's Avatar
THis is the vid...Motor info starts at 16 min.
Live Discussion: E-flite UMX Turbo Timber (44 min 58 sec)
Feb 28, 2020, 03:44 PM
Registered User
Audioguru again's Avatar
E-Flite UMX airplanes have over-current protection where the brick causes the motor to squeal then stop if its current is too high. It happened in the original Gee-Bee when the throttle was advanced too quickly and it happens occasionally on a few of my other E-flite airplanes.

The brick in the original UMX Timber has the same part number as the brick in the UMX Cirrus.
The prop on the UMX Turbo Timber is the same prop on the UMX Cirrus and on the UMX Aero Commander.
The motor on the UMX Cirrus has more power than the motor on the UMX Turbo Timber so if you FLY the original UMX Timber with the 3400kv motor and 3-blade prop and not hold it in your hand then the air cooling should let it work safely.
Of course the motor will get hot if you fly continuously at WOT on a hot day.
The guy flying it at his elevation of 6500 feet might smoke his upgraded motor.

How many people fly their original UMX Timber with a 3 cells battery with no problems?
Feb 28, 2020, 03:58 PM
Registered User
GWRIGHT's Avatar
but flying the cirrus motor (3600kv) on the higher drag turbo timber,.. flown aggressively, only works well for about 30 seconds, then gets hot, draws too much current and sags below the original power system in performance. We even melted motor mounts with it. Granted,.. it was far more aggressivly flown than most, if not all, customers would fly it , but we do our best to confirm components will work and live well under the worst conditions.
Latest blog entry: blog


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product The NEW E-flite UMX Turbo Timber BNF Basic...Evolution of a UMX Icon! Jason M Micro Ready-to-Fly 504 Today 02:23 PM
Discussion UMX Timber or Timber X Rack4224 3D Foamies 4 Feb 01, 2020 09:03 PM
Question Eflite Timber vs Turbo Timber - differences? FormulaZR Electric Plane Talk 3 Dec 17, 2019 05:32 PM
Discussion Timber X or Turbo Timber ttaylor63 Electric Plane Talk 10 Nov 08, 2019 03:10 PM
Question UMX Timber Vs Timber 1.5 - mag1 Foamies (Kits) 2 Mar 03, 2019 10:34 PM