Feb 16, 2020, 08:57 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Phantom Model Yacht from Hobby King

Anyone have the Phantom Model yacht sold by Hobby King a couple of years
back. Can't seem to find anything on this boat on any of he forums about this
one, but there are a few video's on u-tube. Anyone buy one of these hen they
were available? If so what class do they fit into as they are 1 meter long, with
a 620 sq. in. sail area and a draft of approx. 13.8". Looking to see if this one fits
into the IOM or US One Meter class.

Thanks,

Bill D
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2020, 05:16 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Hi Bill,

The Phantom has the same hull as the ETNZ, unfortunately with the same flaws, like a keelfin that's positioned too far forward and it's overweight.
It takes some digging, but there have been a few ETNZ owners that converted theirs to a US1M, or an AC100.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-AC100-proyect

I was given an ETNZ hull, which I've taken off the deck (to be replaced with something lighter) to have access to install a keel box and generelly sand down the hull to reduce it's thickness (weight), at the moment is sits on the shelf, waiting for me to want to work on it again...

You can't make it IOM class legal, as the required weight would make it sink in so deep it won't perform anywhere near a regular IOM.

Regards, Jan.
Feb 18, 2020, 03:45 AM
ShipShapeRC forum had a lot of info on the Phantom but unfortunately due to hackers it had to close. The most info on Phantoms that I know of still on the net would be this site. http://www.rcyachting.scoastmac.org.au/index.htm
Feb 18, 2020, 07:53 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info guys, I think this will be a learning yacht for my grandson while I
build him a Star 45 so we can sail together with the same sailboats.
Feb 19, 2020, 03:47 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat2011
The most info on Phantoms that I know of still on the net would be this site. http://www.rcyachting.scoastmac.org.au/index.htm
It would be a good idea to contact this group and ask which modifications were done to their Phantoms, as they seem to perform well in the video's.

Regards, Jan.
Feb 19, 2020, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Diedrich
Thanks for the info guys, I think this will be a learning yacht for my grandson while I
build him a Star 45 so we can sail together with the same sailboats.
If you're going to buy something for your grandson, you'd probably be much better off with a DF65. It will sail much better and be far less frustrating, plus there is a ton of online info, support and spare parts available.

Quick Reply