Feb 16, 2020, 08:05 AM
Service Engine Soon
Thread OP
Discussion

I Donated

https://modelaviationpac.com/
PayPal ready.

Although I wish this was more about Traditional RC and not a Coalition and there wasn't a picture of a Drone at the bottom of the page. I still donated and believe this could help Model Aviation in general. If this was all about Traditional RC and there was a Sailplane at the bottom of the page I would have donate 10x more. I believe most of us feel this way about our part of the hobby.

Going Flying today .
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2020, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady Baggs
Although I wish ... there wasn't a picture of a Drone at the bottom of the page.
Get off your high horse and attack who is the real enemy, the regulators who don't know sh** about the hobby. Blaming one section of the hobby is not going to get us anywhere and if you are going to blame anyone blame the heli guys, they are the only section of this hobby that has a death toll AFAIK.

But don't actually, no one in the hobby needs to be blamed for the NPRM.

Also do blame Amazon and the likes, they are the ones really pushing for the legislation because they are under the assumption that drone delivery is feasible.
Feb 16, 2020, 11:59 AM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Does anyone know who is behind that PAC?

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Feb 17, 2020, 12:25 AM
Rectal cancer survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
Does anyone know who is behind that PAC?

Ryan
I am wondering the same thing, and asked a question in “The 400 foot fight” thread. So far it seems to have locked that thread up. I would consider donating but there’s too little information about who the leaders/officers are,
Feb 17, 2020, 05:39 AM
I bet the powers that be are wetting themselves watching guys like that tear the hobby apart and create huge division rather than everyone coming together. They don’t have do anything, just sit back and watch people with that mentality do all the work of destroying the hobby for them.

I’m gonna put my dlg sailplanes to one side and fly more fpv freestyle quads today lol. If anyone wants to donate any money to me then I’ll make sure I fly more gliders, cause that will obviously make a difference.
Last edited by i_am_mark_evans; Feb 17, 2020 at 05:44 AM.
Feb 17, 2020, 08:35 AM
2 infect U it 1st has 2 find U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady Baggs
PayPal ready.

Although I wish this was more about Traditional RC and not a Coalition and there wasn't a picture of a Drone at the bottom of the page. I still donated and believe this could help Model Aviation in general. If this was all about Traditional RC and there was a Sailplane at the bottom of the page I would have donate 10x more. I believe most of us feel this way about our part of the hobby.

Going Flying today .
This might be the association that AMA is warning us about. I got this three days ago on February 14 from AMA:

Quote:
Dear club officer,

You may have received an email from an association presenting itself as a CBO managing flying sites. We understand this has created some confusion among members.

Despite the message you may have received, the FAA continues to identify AMA as "the national body for model aviation." As a result, AMA has already conducted efforts with the FAA to ensure that your flying site receives the necessary protections as outlined in Section 349. You can read about some of our efforts at http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...a-fixed-sites/. To prevent any confusion or compromise with these efforts, we recommend that you only share your flying site data directly with AMA staff or leadership.

Happy flying,
AMA Clubs Department
And yes, if they were to show a willingness to distance themselves from the drones that are destroying our hobby and advocate for model aviation instead then I might consider supporting them, but apparently that's not their position.

I compare these drone advocates to someone tying their leaky iron boat to your boat and crying "We have to fight to keep ourselves afloat!" The way for us to keep ourselves afloat is to cut the rope.
Latest blog entry: A short message...
Feb 17, 2020, 09:41 AM
It is being started by the AMA

AMA Drone Report 01.09.20: Model Aviation PAC!, Karma Firmware Update, AMA v Remote ID (6 min 12 sec)
Feb 17, 2020, 12:09 PM
I asked one of my friends who is an elected officer of the AMA and he did confirm that the PAC is a legit organization. Per the FAQ on that group's site since the AMA is a 503C and legally not allowed do endorse candidates it is a separate entity not a part of the AMA.

Ryan
Feb 17, 2020, 12:45 PM
2 infect U it 1st has 2 find U
And here's what this PAC is saying:

Quote:
Which candidates will you support?

The PAC for Model Aviation supports candidates, regardless of party affiliation, who recognize and support our freedom to fly. Among other things, the Pac for Model Aviation looks closely at candidate’s record, past support for general aviation, committee assignments, leadership positions and political vulnerability.

The PAC for Model Aviation can give $5,000 to candidates per election (primary, general, special, etc.). In addition, the PAC for Model Aviation can give $15,000 annually to national party committees and $5,000 annually to other PACs, state parties and leadership PACs.

If I make a donation to the PAC for Model Aviation, can I designate which candidate receives the funds?

Each individual’s donation is pooled with all other contributions so that each dollar goes further than if a person contributed to a politician on their own. Because contributions are pooled, we are not able to accommodate individual donor’s requests on where funds are directed.

The PAC for Model Aviation is a completely non-partisan entity and its primary goal is to help elect a pro-general aviation majority in Congress. We do not consider a candidates’ party affiliation or positions on non-general aviation-related issues when considering a contribution to an individual candidate.
Considering the deeply divided state of American politics today, are you willing to set aside whatever you believe is in the best interests of our nation to focus instead on supporting your hobby?
Latest blog entry: A short message...
Feb 17, 2020, 01:15 PM
Sure Mike it's all about me and my toy airplanes.

I wanted to give them a call but there's no phone number

They support anyone that's supporting our hobby, seems like a fantastic political platform and if Brenie gets up in front of the next debate and says he's all for protecting the rights of of all us, I'll sell out my beliefs and vote for him even knowing the end of mankind will likely result. Heck he may even get all 195,0000 AMA members to sell out too.

195,000 of us is not going to make a dent in any of this. I'd like to know who in the political arena is supporting model airplanes, committing political suicide.

Brady I need to see more than something written up saying rah rah rah, we're going to put your donations to work. Considering there's not even a phone number, can you validate this?

Seems a bit fishy to me, I think they may be praying on those of us affected by the fumes of our modeling glues.
Feb 17, 2020, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
Considering the deeply divided state of American politics today, are you willing to set aside whatever you believe is in the best interests of our nation to focus instead on supporting your hobby?
My philosophy is this: Those issues that deeply divide the state of American politics have been the way they are for at least my entire adult lifetime. When one or another politician gets elected not that much seems to change. But if we can save model aviation from over burdonsome regulations that would greatly stifle it and save it for future generations that would be a good thing and worth doing. Plus it isn't like model aviation seems to have any political leaning that I can tell. Looking at the voting record for the 2018 FAA re auth bill and looking at the responses we seem to be getting back from Congress there doesn't seem to one party that is more supportive of it than another. So my guess is the net effect is some folks from one party will be responsive to our cause and a relatively equal amount from the other party will be responsive to our cause. So the net will be a wash from a "best interest of our nation" perspective.

Ryan
Feb 17, 2020, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Head

Brady I need to see more than something written up saying rah rah rah, we're going to put your donations to work. Considering there's not even a phone number, can you validate this?

Seems a bit fishy to me, I think they may be praying on those of us affected by the fumes of our modeling glues.
There is an email address that you can email them at. I asked a friend of mine that is an elected officer of the AMA if this is legit and he said that this organization is legit. I'll be donating a little something.

Ryan
Feb 17, 2020, 02:19 PM
And Ryan, who are they going to give your money to?
Feb 17, 2020, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Head
And Ryan, who are they going to give your money to?
The FAQ says:
The PAC for Model Aviation supports candidates, regardless of party affiliation, who recognize and support our freedom to fly.
Given your earlier post in this thread and given which Congress people the AMA has already been able to get to write a letter to the FAA supporting our need to fly above 400 feet my guess is you would be happy with at least the initial people they will likely be giving money to. I could be wrong on that though.

Ryn
Feb 17, 2020, 02:51 PM
Sorry, but this just looks like another money grab with AMA "blessing" us little people trying to fight the fight that AMA "leadership" screwed up. They were more than happy to lump drones in with model aviation as a way to grow numbers, now were stuck with no differentiation. Is it any wonder that model airplanes are seen as drones by the other millions and millions of voting citizens? Do you really think coughing up more money to support politicians is going to change that one tiny bit? Color me an old conservative skeptic if you like, but I think the AMA totally hosed this 5-6 years ago and now they're making a token effort to convince the members of their "activism".

JT

Quick Reply