Feb 15, 2020, 02:20 AM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Discussion

This takes scratch building to a different level.......

Fokker - Nachbauten / Fokker Dr.1 (35 min 25 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2020, 02:27 AM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Then there is a D7.........

Fokker - Nachbauten / Fokker D.VII (1 hr 3 min 48 sec)
Feb 15, 2020, 09:37 PM
I wish I had skills enough to apply for a job there! You know... sweeping floors, dumping trash cans... That's pretty neat stuff, there!
Feb 16, 2020, 01:41 AM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP
I wish I had skills enough to apply for a job there! You know... sweeping floors, dumping trash cans... That's pretty neat stuff, there!
I will be happy to use a tooth brush on their floor. The main guy in the video seems to be a superb craftsman in many aspects. From wood work to metal work. That's talent. Looks like the whole family is involved.
Feb 17, 2020, 12:06 PM
Achiem Engles is a standout because he started doing things other re-constructers simply said couldn't be done. Not perfect, and I/we didn't always agree, but BLAST, he sure raised the bar! Last I heard, he'd pretty much closed up shop.

Arup-If I had my health and a few less years, I'd be willing to push a broom in your shop, just to see what you are doing, anytime!
Feb 17, 2020, 01:55 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
>> Last I heard, he'd pretty much closed up shop. <<

That's a shame.
Feb 17, 2020, 07:49 PM
beautiful work and plenty of tools whp could ask for more for me it would be talant
Feb 18, 2020, 03:22 PM
Got to say, I don't exactly see this (Achim's story and efforts) as "a step beyond scratch building". To me it was/is rather normal, growing up with an airplane project in the garage. My modelling bench often pushed up to the latest, Waco, Great Lakes, or Fairchild, etc. What is evident in Engle's work is his DEDICATION to getting it right. It's a mind set, not necessarily a tool. But it sure helps to have the right tool or tools! Perhaps dedication helps us greater appreciate the worth of the tool?

In a restoration vs reproduction vein, those bringing back the old technology often run the risk of producing something better than the original. Old airplanes were seldom built as neatly and carefully in our own minds, than they were in actual practice. Better than new is not always desirable! The Victorian interest, and thus much effort at" restoring" arms and armor from the Middle Ages resulted in our rather flawed general understanding of those same artifacts, today.

As a modeler, the price of the tooling might prohibit its use in our shop. But there are no costs, nor limits on the dedication we can bring, than those we impose on ourselves and others.
Feb 18, 2020, 10:46 PM
'Arup-If I had my health and a few less years, I'd be willing to push a broom in your shop, just to see what you are doing, anytime!' Gee, packardpursuit, you are making me blush! Thank you very much!!! I will agree with the 'dedication' part but mix in a smidge of tenacity and there you have how I build models! Keep your eyes open 'cause I have a few unusual birds coming down the pipe!

Quick Reply