Feb 13, 2020, 08:02 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

I have just realized that I am a ultra light weight freak.

I need to find a receiver & ESC that can operate on 3 volts or less. Do they exist ? If the units say 3 volts in their specifications ? They will really run lower..
What servos are available ? rotary & linear ?
I am not lazy. But am 82 & on a lot of medications & very bad days where I get mentally confused & frustrated on a new project.
I never realized how heavy wire & control rods & all other model parts can get for small or light weight models
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2020, 08:23 AM
Why would you want to go lower then 3.7 V?
Do you habe some alien cells I am not aware of? 2 NiMH Micro cells?
I use 1s lipo stuff. There are lots of rx and esc for that.

For rotary servos I like the Hobbyking 5320 servo.

Only tested the standard "1.5g" linear servo so far. It works. But it's very loud.

Exept for the electronics, there is almost no more metal in my planes. Carbon for pushrods. Heat shrink to link the rods. 0.15mm copper wire for red and black of the servo wires. 0.1mm for signal.

I also remove all the screws from the servos and instead of screwing on a servo horn, I punch a hole into the horn-mount with a hot needle and push a carbon rod through.

What kinda Transmitter are you rocking?
Feb 13, 2020, 11:36 AM
Quote:
I need to find a receiver & ESC that can operate on 3 volts or less. Do they exist ? If the units say 3 volts in their specifications ? They will really run lower..
What servos are available ? rotary & linear ?
I am not lazy. But am 82 & on a lot of medications & very bad days where I get mentally confused & frustrated on a new project.
I never realized how heavy wire & control rods & all other model parts can get for small or light weight models
The wire weight's a real killer. I solder to avoid connectors, and discovered that the JR colored Maxx Products 32ga wire has lighter sheath than the 32ga Futaba color. Same with pushrods, using 0.025" on my current Sterling P40 build. Almost never use pushrod sheathing, other than maybe a short length for the bends in an aileron "cable" setup with 0.015" or 0.020" wire.

UM is tough and hats off to those who do it. On the thoughts you stated, there can be no unnecessary weight. Most modelers have a tough time doing that with larger models. I've always said that building small, lightweight models needs to be a gradual process also. My first Guillow's B25 conversion attempt was a joke. 12 or so years later I finally converted one, and have the only flying version as far as I know. It was a long time coming once I got realistic. Can always go a bit larger with the Lemon 1mm JST receiver or similar, where you can solder on connectors with wiring bought from a number of places, versus brick heavy standard servo connectors. Use a diode drop with the BEC, and you can use 1s servos on 2s setups.
Feb 13, 2020, 12:52 PM
Thread OP
I laughed at the weight of the XT90 connector & 12 " of +&- wire I attached to the A123 cell. I have to use A123 due to the real danger of starting a massive dry crop field fire in the summer. I am eliminating the the 1.5 oz of a 2nd A123 by using a DC to DC step up module. It will step up the 1 A123 1100 mahr cell to 5.5 volts @ 6 amps. That is plenty for the large only white foam parts of the large Guillows Eagle glider at 52" WS & 5.2 oz. 3.2 S F of W A. The DC to D C converter weighs 4 grams. A savings of 1.45 ounces of a second 1.5 ounce battery.
My new to me Flysky i6 receiver looks big & clunky. So does the ESC rated at 10 amps. I am testing with a Cobra 28 mm / 2300 kv motor it weighs 1.0 ounces. WAY to strong at a rated almost 300 watts. I need a setup motor for 5 of the gliders pictured below. 36 watts with a APC 7 X 6E is vertical out of my hand on a 12 oz RTF old GWS F-15 .

I am probably on the upper end of the micro / indoor planes ?
Feb 13, 2020, 03:37 PM
Senior to who? Member
Yeah, no where near micro, cut in half you would still be at the top end of size and 5 ounces is up there too although not like 52" is.
Feb 13, 2020, 04:46 PM
We normally do the gravity induced force measurements in grams around here...
But it's fun, that we can save like half a ton of weight on your equipment. I'll start.

If a 4 channel receiver is good enough, I'd say this one is optimal for you. There are lighter ones, but they cost a lot more.

https://m.banggood.com/Flysky-FS2A-4...l?rmmds=search

"3.7g" servos would be light enough, I guess. Not sure if my wire recommedations hold up for those.
Feb 13, 2020, 05:21 PM
Thread OP
The 5 Eagle gliders will be 1 for a tow to height tow plane. The test Cobra 28 mm motor I bought. Is a excellent motor for towing others on just 2 of the A123 cells So it is done.

Some input on the other 4 Eagle gliders for use By any kids At the N Y state park all summer. I always use a power table table that all the transmitters must plug into. A car battery sits under it & feeds the RCA phono jacks that each person plugs into for power. I wandered. Each power jack has a big red stop button to kill power.

I would like all of you to give your opinion on which setup of the other 4 planes would be most useful. 2 R & E gliders & 2 M & R & E gliders. Or other combinations.

I Will be using pre set fail safe Flysky i6 receivers on all the planes. I never used 2.4 Giga before. Fun setting up the fail safe parameters. Only took me 45 ? minutes to get the tow plane perfect.

I set the Fail Safe to motor stop. Rudder right turn. Elevator about 1/4 up. That gave a falling, spinning decent at a fast, but no damage down rate.
Feb 13, 2020, 05:48 PM
Thread OP

Forgot about the motor for the gliders.

The 28 mm by Cobra is way to strong at 6 volts & 6 amps at WOT with a APCE 7 X 6. What lighter and smaller motor would work better ? Prop to go with it ?
Feb 13, 2020, 08:12 PM
Forgot about you being a GWS fan. Here's one for you, an IPS BL powered ME262. Actually has more than ample power, and flies well on part throttle. Starts at post 409 on this page: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-thread/page28
Feb 13, 2020, 10:07 PM
Thread OP

Great post !!

Ijust remembered I have about 12 Hyperion blue 12 mm 6000 kv geared down motors They are very close to Feagiao 12 mm. I put 2 in the small GWS A-10. Batteries were too heavy back then. I ran them up slowly on a car battery wearing a face shield , gloves and a winter coat. Strange sound they made. that pulsing sound of 2 engines very close in rpms. But the rpms were so high that they sounded QUIETER as the voltage passed 6 volts . My hearing was dropping off ?

I will pick a good gear ratio for a 7 x 6 prop. I still have the Hyperion data sheet for different props & fans with data if you want me to post it I can.
Feb 13, 2020, 10:17 PM
Thread OP

Quickie of my 12 mm motor power level

I can do a better scan & PDF if you need it
Feb 14, 2020, 08:59 PM
Give this wire a shot, I think it will make you happy. You can try it on the bench first for your application.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Litz-wire-1...0/150502948231
Feb 14, 2020, 09:47 PM
Senior to who? Member
Thats not going to handle 6 amp. I use it for signal and for that its a bit overkill being about 36 awg equivilent. But its great wire, solders so much easier than magnet wire and doesnt break when flexed. Very supple so its easy to layout out. I wish I could take it apart for the individual strands but way its made, it does not come apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGordon
Give this wire a shot, I think it will make you happy. You can try it on the bench first for your application.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Litz-wire-1...0/150502948231
Feb 14, 2020, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Ijust remembered I have about 12 Hyperion blue 12 mm 6000 kv geared down motors They are very close to Feagiao 12 mm. I put 2 in the small GWS A-10. Batteries were too heavy back then. I ran them up slowly on a car battery wearing a face shield , gloves and a winter coat. Strange sound they made. that pulsing sound of 2 engines very close in rpms. But the rpms were so high that they sounded QUIETER as the voltage passed 6 volts . My hearing was dropping off ?

I will pick a good gear ratio for a 7 x 6 prop. I still have the Hyperion data sheet for different props & fans with data if you want me to post it I can.
The rpms should be very closely matched in the GWS ME262 twin. They both run on a single P25.
Feb 16, 2020, 07:36 PM
Thread OP

the DC to DC stepup converter.

Good thing I am a Mil Spec rated solderer.. 60 years ago at Lockheed Electronics.

This cutie will step up the 1 A123 3 volt cell to 5.5 volts at a maximum of 10 amps. if needed. It weighs .14 oz. instead of a 2nd 1.5 oz. cell in the plane. 2 wire connections & 2 resistor leads to be soldered to it. THe pout put voltage is adjustable from .5 to 5.5 volts.

Piece of cake.

Quick Reply