Scammer warning

Got Scammed sent PayPal as friend
PayPal canít pursue him on gift or friend
Here is his Email name and PayPal name
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2020, 06:38 AM
Trader Rating: 2
Free Flight rubber flyer
I know this is preaching into the choir, but never ever pay friends and family on here to someone you don't know personally. I pay the extra to do it as a business transaction. Lets me sleep easier even if it does cost more.
Feb 13, 2020, 06:49 AM
Trader Rating: 30
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
I know how you feel. Several of us just fell victim to a different scammer.

Too bad about the F&F. Itís old news to anyone who has visited the Trader Talk section. Your story is repeated over and over. There is even a sticky warning about scams with F&F.

If your PayPal paid through your credit card, you might try contacting them instead. They might be able to back out the charge. I donít know. If so, I would imagine that youíd be banned from ever using PayPal again.
Feb 13, 2020, 07:29 AM
Trader Rating: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagger123
Got Scammed sent PayPal as friend
PayPal canít pursue him on gift or friend
Here is his Email name and PayPal name
F&F again.. why oh why!
Feb 13, 2020, 08:49 AM
Trader Rating: 2
I had posted a wanted add a few weeks ago for a seawind. Got a contact from someone who was claiming there PayPal could only receive friends and family. Not falling for that one.
Feb 13, 2020, 09:16 AM
Trader Rating: 7
It is very frustrating how prevalent they are, here in particular. I had three contact me for a wanted add and I sent their names to the site admin and never got one single reply!!! At some point I would think the site admin might want to think about their responsibility to the site and its users.

The other tactic the scammers use, is to give you an email address of a “friend” or someone they recently claim to have done business with who supposedly have what you are looking for. Lastly, the person contacting you almost always has no trader history AND has never posted a single thing on the site.
Feb 13, 2020, 09:30 AM
Trader Rating: 7
There are three other things you can do to protect yourself;

1) ask for a photo of the item in question WITH a piece of paper with their name and todays date sitting next to the item, so they are both on the same shot. These scum dont have the item, so they cant do this. They will routinely send a photo of the item they pulled from the web, but they wont send you a photo of their actual item with their name on it, because they cant.

2) ask for a phone number to call and talk to them about the item. You’ll never get a reply.

3) check the very long thread in the “trader talk” forum and search for the user name of the person who contacted you. They, in my experience, already have done this to others.

And, yes, as stated above, Never Ever send paypal friends and family.

Best of luck all
Michael
Last edited by pb12; Feb 13, 2020 at 09:43 AM.
Feb 13, 2020, 09:59 AM
Trader Rating: 34
this belongs in the trader talk section.
Feb 13, 2020, 05:00 PM
Trader Rating: 76
W4BYE, FAA 107 Certified
It's called friends and family for a reason, Captain Obvious says he wasn't friends or family

Quick Reply