Feb 12, 2020, 06:49 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Sig Kougar Landing Gear Question

Hi all. I recently aquired a used Sig Kougar airplane that needs some work. It had come with a nosegear that was not attached, and is whY I am here asking a question. Would anybody here pleas be able to answer a couple of questions regarding it. Mine nosegear wire is straight both above and below the 'spring/coil' on it. What I was wondering is can someone please tell me how far below the fuselage does the spring/coil sit? Do I trim that so the spring clears the fuselage by about 1/4"? And also from teh bottom of teh spring/coil, how far down until the landing gear wire is bent 90 degrees for the nosewheel? Any help will be greatly appreciated. As well, even if you had a picture with ruler beside it would be a great help. Thank you.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2020, 06:58 PM

Nlg

Put the N/W coil 1/8" below the bottom of the Fuselage. If the coil is too soft the prop will hit the ground and prevent takeoff.

Kip
Feb 12, 2020, 07:08 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW222
Hi all. I recently aquired a used Sig Kougar airplane that needs some work. It had come with a nosegear that was not attached, and is whY I am here asking a question. Would anybody here pleas be able to answer a couple of questions regarding it. Mine nosegear wire is straight both above and below the 'spring/coil' on it. What I was wondering is can someone please tell me how far below the fuselage does the spring/coil sit? Do I trim that so the spring clears the fuselage by about 1/4"? And also from teh bottom of teh spring/coil, how far down until the landing gear wire is bent 90 degrees for the nosewheel? Any help will be greatly appreciated. As well, even if you had a picture with ruler beside it would be a great help. Thank you.
As far as the wire above the coil, all you need is the proper amount so the coil can rotate without touching the bottom of the fuselage. Your idea of a 1/4" clearance is very good. Go with 1/4"

As far as below that gets a little more involved. That is because that will determine the total length of the nose gear. The length of the nose gear is usually determined by the diameter of the propeller you intend to use. So if you want to use an 11" diameter propeller you add two inches clearance to the radius and you get 5.5" plus 2" equals 7.5". So when your plane is sitting with the wing level to the ground you should be able to have at least 7.5" from center of the engine crank shaft to the bottom of the nose wheel. Now you have to decide what diameter nose wheel you want to use. Let's say 2.5" nose wheel is reasonable. So it should be 1.25" from the ground to the 90 degree bend you will make on the nose wheel strut.

What I do is flip the plane upside down. Put the plane on a stand. Use a wing incidence meter and shim the plane so the wing is at zero degree incidence. You may want to be 1/2 degree or 1 degree positive. Since your plane is not upside down your wing incidence should be 1/2 degree to 1 degree negative.

Then you put a ruler in front of the engine and measure from the crank shaft to 7.5" and use a square on the ruler and mark off the 7.5" mark on the nose gear strut. Now that's NOT where you will bend the wire. From the 7.5" mark you come back 1.25" towards the coil and that's where you will bend the nose gear 90 degrees. Once you bend it, you mark off another 1.5" and cut the rest off with an abrasive wheel and a Dremel rotary tool. Now you have a nose wheel axle.

I hope this helps. I can draw you a picture if you like.
Feb 12, 2020, 10:03 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for the help.
Feb 14, 2020, 08:29 AM
If you want to do it right side up put the plane on a table with the nose gear wire hanging over the edge and then level and mark where to bend the wire using your nose wheel as a guide. The hard part is bending the wire.
Feb 14, 2020, 02:55 PM
I like the to use an adjustable axle for these situations, even though I have a mighty and mini K&S wire bender, just lazy, there is added weight and expense with this setup.
Feb 14, 2020, 03:12 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomaster
I like the to use an adjustable axle for these situations, even though I have a mighty and mini K&S wire bender, just lazy, there is added weight and expense with this setup.
I have a hard time with adjustable because I can never file a proper flat spot on the strut. I found myself constantly adjusting the angle of the flat spot. My eyes must be crooked.
Feb 14, 2020, 06:47 PM
Thread OP
Thank you all for the help. Last night I installed the nosegear into the mount, then put 2 levels onto the horizontal stab facing front to back, then used a box I had here to prop teh tail off the ground until it showed level. Also to note, I had the mains on a shelf off an old desk with the nosegear wire resting jut over the edge as JimboPioltFl stated. I then helsd the 2 1/2" nosewheel along side it and marked the gear where the axle should go. I then placed it in a vise and carefully applied heat to the spot where I wanted the bend and when it was red, carefully bent it teh required 90 degrees and allowed it to cool off naturally. I installed it just now and I got it pretty darn close. The bubble favored one side of the level, but it is still within the center marks of the level and not touching or crossing over any lines on the level.
Feb 14, 2020, 06:48 PM
Thread OP
As was mentioned, I knew about the adjustable part available, but juat wanted to try a one piece nosewheel. I too, was worried about having not filed teh flat in teh correct position.

Quick Reply