Feb 11, 2020, 04:45 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Discussion

FAA Remote ID

I hate to bring this up in this forum but we all need to make comments on the proposed new rule. If it goes through it could be the end for Classic Pattern and most all sport flying.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...rcraft-systems

to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2020, 04:53 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Horizon Hobby get's it. (9 min 45 sec)
Feb 11, 2020, 08:10 PM
Yeah... I think most of the modeling community are aware of this. Many emails from the AMA, and hundreds of videos on you tube. I think one big problem is that many feel is all moot, that the FAA and its branches will do what they will regardless. That, coupled with the fact that we are a small group in terms of numbers (even when quadcopter users are included), and also considering the big interests lobbying (i.e. $ under the table ), its hard to argue with that reasoning. Theres only X amount of arguments that can be put forth as to why the proposed rules are not reasonable.

Even if the FAA gets 200k comments, there will probably be about 50 to 60 different angles among those 200k comments. The rest will be repetition. Undoubtedly, some will send replies filled with rage or disparing comments, or accuse the FAA, or even specific individual whithin the FAA, of being corrupt in the face of big money. As much as we all fill disgusted by these developments, comments have to be submitted in a"politically correct" way; we have to bite our lips, and really not say what we would like to say. Unfortunately, many will say the unsayable, and those responses will be tossed aside.

Its kind of weird to have to comment to the FAA on why these rules might mean the death of the hobby. Weird because many hobbyists (me included) think that the FAA actually wants to kill the hobby, not because were a problem for them (were not, and they couldn't care less), but because, again, the big companies waving the $$$ in their faces want us out of the way. So complaining that this would kill the hobby is, in essence, confirming to the FAA that the they have us right where they want us... with our backs against the wall. They will know then that its just a matter of pulling the trigger.

I have too add that in my opinion, the AMA has done a terrible job defending its members and the hobby from this truly menacing situation. AMA has historically been a very passive organization, more focused on public relations. There is no way they could have been nurtured throughout the years to have the tools to handle a threat like this one. Who would have thought even 10 years ago that this wonderful hobby would come under attack? But to be fair, even if they had better resources and had been better prepared to deal with this sitation, they would have faced an uphill battle. As it is, it might be insurmountable.

One last thing... the media has really bought into the trend of "villifying drones". Invation of privacy, reckless flying, airspace violations, etc. Sometimes, these news reports are vastly sensationalized, of course, because they have to sell a product that captures the publics attention. So the general public is sort of against drones, and they dont know enough to distinguish between the quadcopters and the traditional models. Nor is there enough time to teach the public. If only they knew that the real threat to everyones livelyhood and peace of mind is what these big companies want to do with COMERCIAL drones after they've gotten rid of us.
Last edited by RC YEAGER; Feb 11, 2020 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Typo
Feb 11, 2020, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC YEAGER
I have too add that in my opinion, the AMA has done a terrible job defending its members and the hobby from this truly menacing situation. AMA has historically been a very passive organization, more focused on public relations.
I said it then, and I'll say it now:

The AMA should never have left the DC area, and they never should have built a huge monument to themselves in a two-bit town in the middle of nowhere, right next to an airport.

Guess who is going to be one of the first FRIA's to be shut down as a hazard to full scale aviation...

But at least they figured out that they need a traveling aviation program. That's what the Nats was, until they nailed it to Muncie.

Andy
Feb 11, 2020, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I said it then, and I'll say it now:

The AMA should never have left the DC area, and they never should have built a huge monument to themselves in a two-bit town in the middle of nowhere, right next to an airport.

Guess who is going to be one of the first FRIA's to be shut down as a hazard to full scale aviation...

But at least they figured out that they need a traveling aviation program. That's what the Nats was, until they nailed it to Muncie.

Andy
Where's the like button?
Feb 12, 2020, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC YEAGER
So the general public is sort of against drones, and they don't know enough to distinguish between the quadcopters and the traditional models.
This is the heart of the problem, we were grouped in with the Walmart and like drones. That perspective is not changeable at this point. I know the EAA is on our side and they hold a lot of weight with the FAA but at this point, I think it's a lost cause, unfortunately.
Feb 12, 2020, 10:55 AM
Intermediate Multi
I read an article in the February 2020 issue of Sport Aviation about how the EAA is trying to make an effort to keep the FAA from shutting us down. They referred to us as "Legacy Model Aviation". That's what us non-drone folks are - Legacy Model Aviation. They stated that many EAA members got their initial inspiration from models. To this day, many of them are active with both models and full-scale.
Feb 12, 2020, 09:39 PM
ƃuıʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
I read an article in the February 2020 issue of Sport Aviation about how the EAA is trying to make an effort to keep the FAA from shutting us down. They referred to us as "Legacy Model Aviation". That's what us non-drone folks are - Legacy Model Aviation. They stated that many EAA members got their initial inspiration from models. To this day, many of them are active with both models and full-scale.
Yup.

The guy in the hangar across from me is building a Pitts. Hanging on the wall is a model. They're interconnected and should be, but applying things like the 51% rule and other silliness to the RC model is insanity.
Latest blog entry: Sagitta 600 build 2018
Feb 12, 2020, 10:04 PM
I just don't see it going our way, we are a mear blip on the FAA radar and we hold no real power. Its a shame...
Feb 13, 2020, 09:10 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by n9mqy
I just don't see it going our way, we are a mear blip on the FAA radar and we hold no real power. Its a shame...
So what's the future. Will we all just keep flying illegally or what. We all have a lot of money tied up in airplanes and equipment. I don't see any way that I would just stop flying. I have a small grass strip on my farm away from everyone. Can't see any way that is a danger to manned aircraft.

Feb 13, 2020, 09:33 AM
AMA 32832 - SPA L27-VRCS 1138
I am hopeful something will work out in our favor
Feb 13, 2020, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
So what's the future. Will we all just keep flying illegally or what. We all have a lot of money tied up in airplanes and equipment. I don't see any way that I would just stop flying. I have a small grass strip on my farm away from everyone. Can't see any way that is a danger to manned aircraft.

Essentially yes
Feb 13, 2020, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
I am hopeful something will work out in our favor
Could be they just threw an outhouse full of [email protected] at the wall hoping to see what sticks...
Feb 13, 2020, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hook57
Could be they just threw an outhouse full of [email protected] at the wall hoping to see what sticks...
Aint that how govmt agencies always do it? Some [email protected] sticks to the wall, then it dries. Then they throw more and the old [email protected] helps the new [email protected] stick. After 4 or 5 sessions of this, eventually, the wall is fully covered. This is the FAAs 3rd or 4th [email protected] throwing session, so the wall just has a few clear patches left.

Quick Reply