Feb 10, 2020, 01:54 PM
Thread OP
Question

RCGF 20 twin break-in --- Oil question

A question for those who have experience with RCGF 2-stroke engines:

The manual (generic for all rcgf engines) states using a high quality ash free PETROLEUM BASED 2-stroke engine oil during the break-in period, so in other words, a non-synthetic oil, then switch to fully synthetic after the first 2 liters of fuel. Pretty much just like in real aircraft piston engines where higher friction mineral oil is used in new engines for the first 50 hours or so to seat the rings.

I have a very good fully synthetic oil, Klotz Gasburner, turns bright red when mixed in gasoline about 20 or 30:1. There are so many types of 2-stroke oil out there so I'm not real sure about the non-synthetic oil of choice. The manual doesn't name a specific type, just says ash free petroleum based. Can anyone suggest a good 2-stroke oil brand/type for this specific purpose, anyone who might have experience breaking-in rcgf engines?

Thank you
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2020, 03:04 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by friednly_21
A question for those who have experience with RCGF 2-stroke engines:

The manual (generic for all rcgf engines) states using a high quality ash free PETROLEUM BASED 2-stroke engine oil during the break-in period, so in other words, a non-synthetic oil, then switch to fully synthetic after the first 2 liters of fuel. Pretty much just like in real aircraft piston engines where higher friction mineral oil is used in new engines for the first 50 hours or so to seat the rings.

I have a very good fully synthetic oil, Klotz Gasburner, turns bright red when mixed in gasoline about 20 or 30:1. There are so many types of 2-stroke oil out there so I'm not real sure about the non-synthetic oil of choice. The manual doesn't name a specific type, just says ash free petroleum based. Can anyone suggest a good 2-stroke oil brand/type for this specific purpose, anyone who might have experience breaking-in rcgf engines?

Thank you
I really don't think it makes that much difference. However just because you ask about oil you will get as many different answers as there are types of 2 stroke oil.

As far as ashless petroleum oil is concern it does not say anything about whether that is synthetic or not. Ashless is to reduce carbon build up and petroleum base is so that the oil will mix properly with gasoline.

The reason why you want to NOT use 100% synthetic oil is because synthetic oil suppose to have very good lubricating properties and the parts will not wear as fast as non-synthetic oil. Even full size man carrying automobiles do not recommend using synthetic oil right away so the engine will break in and the parts will seat better. That's just a simple answer. There are better and more specific answers if you do a search on Google.

There are some non synthetic oil that is petroleum compatible. Klotz makes Benol that is castor oil with some additives so it will mix with gasoline.

I also use some of this oil. Suppose to be castor oil based. https://www.maximausa.com/product/castor-927/

For an RC engine, I really don't think it matters much. You can use Klotz Gasburner oil. It just takes longer for the engine to break in.

So I did a Google on 2 stroke non-synthetic oil and got a lot of hits.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/threads...oke-oil.42671/

https://www.2strokeheads.com/index.p...-non-synthetic

https://www.google.com/search?q=2+st...=2002&bih=1329

If you really want to use a non synthetic oil for break in, use any 2 stroke oil made specifically for air cooled engines and you should be fine. Every one has their favorite and you can develop your own.
Feb 10, 2020, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
I really don't think it makes that much difference. However just because you ask about oil you will get as many different answers as there are types of 2 stroke oil.

As far as ashless petroleum oil is concern it does not say anything about whether that is synthetic or not. Ashless is to reduce carbon build up and petroleum base is so that the oil will mix properly with gasoline.

The reason why you want to NOT use 100% synthetic oil is because synthetic oil suppose to have very good lubricating properties and the parts will not wear as fast as non-synthetic oil. Even full size man carrying automobiles do not recommend using synthetic oil right away so the engine will break in and the parts will seat better. That's just a simple answer. There are better and more specific answers if you do a search on Google.

There are some non synthetic oil that is petroleum compatible. Klotz makes Benol that is castor oil with some additives so it will mix with gasoline.

I also use some of this oil. Suppose to be castor oil based. https://www.maximausa.com/product/castor-927/

For an RC engine, I really don't think it matters much. You can use Klotz Gasburner oil. It just takes longer for the engine to break in.

So I did a Google on 2 stroke non-synthetic oil and got a lot of hits.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/threads...oke-oil.42671/

https://www.2strokeheads.com/index.p...-non-synthetic

https://www.google.com/search?q=2+st...=2002&bih=1329

If you really want to use a non synthetic oil for break in, use any 2 stroke oil made specifically for air cooled engines and you should be fine. Every one has their favorite and you can develop your own.
Thank you!
Feb 10, 2020, 09:47 PM
pretty much everyone I know that flies gas uses synthetic from day one, either Redline or Stihl. DA quit recommending break in oil some time ago, and now recommends Redline as both break in and long term. that's the practice that many of us follow, not only for DA, but for other engines.
Last edited by koppterX; Feb 10, 2020 at 09:54 PM.
Feb 10, 2020, 10:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by koppterX
pretty much everyone I know that flies gas uses synthetic from day one, either Redline or Stihl. DA quit recommending break in oil some time ago, and now recommends Redline as both break in and long term. that's the practice that many of us follow, not only for DA, but for other engines.
Yeah, that's what I hear based on just looking around all the oil option posts. I don't have Redline, but I have Stihl Ultra and Klotz Gasburner 2-stroke, which also seems to be highly recommended. I also read that if you really want to go with some type of mineral oil, Lawn-Boy 2-stroke oil is recommended for the first 2 gallons of fuel or so.

Thanks for the recommendations. Just like you said, it probably works ok either way.
Feb 11, 2020, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations. Just like you said, it probably works ok either way.
Yes it should, it may take a bit longer for the break in process (OK maybe a lot longer) but the final outcome would be a good ring to cylinder fit and a great engine...
Feb 11, 2020, 04:12 AM
Still gassin' it.
Yup... the only difference is the seating time of the ring. The actual break in (mating of rods, bearings, piston in liner), in other words the time you need to take it easy, does not really change, and would be about 0,5~1 hour for most engines.
No difference in end result, life expectancy or anything.

I have broken in my first 2 or 3 gassers on Dinojuice, but after that, only used the full synthetic that I was going to run them on later anyway.
Feb 11, 2020, 07:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Brutus
Yup... the only difference is the seating time of the ring. The actual break in (mating of rods, bearings, piston in liner), in other words the time you need to take it easy, does not really change, and would be about 0,5~1 hour for most engines.
No difference in end result, life expectancy or anything.

I have broken in my first 2 or 3 gassers on Dinojuice, but after that, only used the full synthetic that I was going to run them on later anyway.
I agree, it might take a little longer, but will come out the same eventually. All OS gassers I've broken in have always been on full synthetic, that's what those recommend, but I always try to stick to the manufacturer's instructions in the manual, so I thought, since this manual asked for ashless conventional oil, I'd check here what the popular opinion was on conventional/mineral oil, or dinojuice, lol.
Feb 18, 2020, 07:38 PM
Deluxe materials power model
Feb 18, 2020, 08:14 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
I agree, it might take a little longer, but will come out the same eventually. All OS gassers I've broken in have always been on full synthetic, that's what those recommend, but I always try to stick to the manufacturer's instructions in the manual, so I thought, since this manual asked for ashless conventional oil, I'd check here what the popular opinion was on conventional/mineral oil, or dinojuice, lol.
Following manufacturers instructions usually you can't go wrong, but unfortunately, manufacturers are people also (shocking, I know) which means they are not exempt from at times writing down personal preferences, or even "old wives tales" in their instructions, and breaking in on dinojuice is one of those… Does not mean it is "wrong", just that there are alternatives.

I really cannot think of a compelling reason why an engine that after break in can be lubricated by full sysnthetic, cannot be broken in on dinojuice.
Feb 18, 2020, 09:49 PM
Whats that drip ?
Using conventional oil just accelerates the rings seating during breaking. Most full synthetic oils have such high film strength and anti wear properties, it will take longer for the rings to seat. But when you read the labels on these ash-less conventional oils, they have anti-wear / anti-scuff additives, so its a moot point really. I use the oil I use regularly for break-in, which is Redline 2T .
Feb 18, 2020, 09:58 PM
AMA 46133
>>Following manufacturers instructions usually you can't go wrong, but unfortunately, manufacturers are people also (shocking, I know) which means they are not exempt from at times writing down personal preferences, or even "old wives tales" in their instructions, and breaking in on dinojuice is one of those… Does not mean it is "wrong", just that there are alternatives.<<

Not to mention sometimes language translation creeps in and make a mess of the instructions.
Feb 18, 2020, 10:19 PM
Deluxe materials power model 40:1 ratio
Feb 18, 2020, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carteraveri
Deluxe materials power model
Thats the best smelling oil . Smells like bubble gum . Dear as buggery though , at least here in Oz anyway .
Feb 19, 2020, 05:04 AM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave

Not to mention sometimes language translation creeps in and make a mess of the instructions.
That too unfortunately

Quick Reply