Feb 09, 2020, 10:13 PM
The Mad Titan
Thread OP
Question

Anyone Familiar with Spektrum's New Firma Smart ESCs?

I picked up one of the new Losi Tenacity TT Pro Short Course trucks which is running the 130 amp version of the ESC. I had upped LVC to 3.4 and was running a brand new pack (Power Hobby 3S 50C) and after about 20 minutes of running back and forth on the road, the car just went full brakes and stopped. I can't recall if I had steering or not. Once the car sat for about 5 seconds, I regained full control (at which time I stopped driving it anyway).

The truck was about 20 feet from me when it happened, so it wasn't a range issue/failsafe activating (I don't think). I checked the ESC, no blinking lights of any kind. I checked temps; the motor was 90 degrees and ESC/battery were in the 50s, so it definitely wasn't any sort of thermal protection activating. The battery was at 3.80 per cell, but it was only about 35-40 degrees out, so I can completely understand a 0.4 voltage drop due to the cold (given the battery's temp) and LVC getting triggered.

But, full brakes instead of just lowering power? Is the automatic full brakes normal for LVC on these new ESCs, or is my ESC acting funky?

Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2020, 01:50 PM
Just asking, is there any information in manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feb 10, 2020, 06:10 PM
The Mad Titan
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsasax
Just asking, is there any information in manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing in the manual, but I called Horizon Tech Support today and they said that is NOT normal for the ESC to just hit the brakes, in any instance. I'll use it a little more and see how it behaves. If it happens again, I'll talk to my LHS about submitting a waranty claim on the ESC.

If course, it could be a radio/receiver issue too, not the ESC, so I'll need to experiment a little.

Quick Reply