Feb 09, 2020, 07:18 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Discussion

DuBro Fueling Valve

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD745&P=7

I used these a long time ago and they were OK. Is there anything better? What do you guys use?

to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2020, 08:59 PM
Build a scale plane already!!!
I stopped using them years ago,, went to fuel dots,,, Fuel dots never leak,, those eventually do
Feb 09, 2020, 09:13 PM
I dont use them. Been using the three line system for decades. Every engine problem I helped someone with that had a filler valve, was 100% of the time, the filler valve.
Edwin
Feb 10, 2020, 06:12 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Thanks. I am just finishing up my first cowled engine glow airplane and was looking for an easy way to fill the tank.

Any photos would help.

Feb 10, 2020, 06:13 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
I stopped using them years ago,, went to fuel dots,,, Fuel dots never leak,, those eventually do
What are fuel dots and where do I get them?

I had a 15 year brake from nitro power so I am not up on all the latest stuff.

Feb 10, 2020, 06:46 AM
They come in many styles https://www.amazon.com/fuel-dot/s?k=fuel+dot

I use simple ones like these mostly

Name: 71Y92snSHbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views: 1
Size: 112.4 KB
Description:
Feb 10, 2020, 09:05 AM
Ive used those types for a clean setup. For a general purpose cheapie I use roofing nails cut off about a 1/2" from the top.
Edwin
Feb 10, 2020, 10:09 AM
I'm with the other guys, I've never used one but have observed many who have suffered lots of problems with them.

On the other hand, I am using two of the Du-Bro fuel fillers, the ones that have a stem the pulls out to fill. They are a sliding valve placed in the fuel line to the carb so are used with a two line tank. I've had both in service for a good while using gas and have had no problems with either... yet.

I like them for installations where they can be mounted at the bottom of the firewall.
Feb 10, 2020, 12:14 PM
AMA 537620
Read too many problems with the fuel valves and never tried. I run three line systems with fuel dots on anything more basic than a traditional install with cowl cheeks. I didn’t want to ever have to diagnose a problem that might be caused by a simple air leak from that valve.
Feb 10, 2020, 12:41 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Has DuBro changed the design? Like I said I used them in the 1990's and did not have any problems.
Feb 10, 2020, 12:46 PM
Doubt it,, I haven't used them since the 90's,,

I have a couple in the junk drawer,, you're welcome to them
Feb 10, 2020, 02:55 PM
The fuel filler that I have used two of without problems with gas is the DuBro E/Z fill part # DUB996.

https://www.google.com/search?q=+DuB...nt=firefox-b-1
Feb 10, 2020, 03:26 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Has DuBro changed the design? Like I said I used them in the 1990's and did not have any problems.
You were lucky. I never trust them. They all leak. Not only DuBro but filler valves of all brands. I still have a box full of them.

Just use a T fitting and a fuel dot. Or do like the pattern guys......epoxy two brass tubing through the fuselage with a ply doubler. Put a short piece of fuel tubing on the outside. The two brass tubing will break the fuel line from the tank to the engine. Just pull off the outside line to fill the tank.
Feb 10, 2020, 04:18 PM
I run a third line from the bottom of the tank out of the fuselage through a piece of brass tubing. I then fill and empty the tank from there and cap the brass tubing with a piece of fuel tubing and a plug. Same idea as a fuel dot but costs zero.
Feb 10, 2020, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
You were lucky. I never trust them. They all leak. Not only DuBro but filler valves of all brands. I still have a box full of them.

Just use a T fitting and a fuel dot. Or do like the pattern guys......epoxy two brass tubing through the fuselage with a ply doubler. Put a short piece of fuel tubing on the outside. The two brass tubing will break the fuel line from the tank to the engine. Just pull off the outside line to fill the tank.
I have that setup on my PT-19 which has a cowl boss that allowed mounting the tubes fore and aft so that the loop lies behind the boss. It is a very nice way to handle fueling.

Quick Reply