Feb 20, 2020, 08:13 PM
This is my first gas. How do y’all connect the choke to operate it?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2020, 11:27 PM
I run a wire out the front. Choke till the engine pops, then un-choke, till it starts.
Edwin
Feb 21, 2020, 10:03 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Likewise. I usually make a bracket out of aluminum to guide the wire.

In this case I used a 4-40 ball link and a piece of 4-40 wire threaded on one end. Here's how it looked with the cowl on:

Some folks control the choke with a servo.
Feb 21, 2020, 10:26 AM
That right there is a perfect example of how to do it.
Edwin
Feb 23, 2020, 06:53 PM
I ran the 10 cc today and seemed to be fine. Idles very good. The muffler bolts keep coming loose. What can I do to hold them in?
Feb 23, 2020, 07:31 PM
I use red permatex on the threads.
Edwin
Feb 24, 2020, 06:17 AM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carteraveri
I ran the 10 cc today and seemed to be fine. Idles very good. The muffler bolts keep coming loose. What can I do to hold them in?
A bit depending on whether the bolts screw into the engine, or into the muffler.
For me, what works best is to use threaded studs threadlocked into the threaded holes in either engine or muffler, and nuts on the "other side".
That way, you are not turning a steel bolt under tension in a (weaker) aluminium threaded hole, and you can tighten things much tighter without stripping threads.
Feb 24, 2020, 07:52 AM
One more thing about keeping those mufflers on. If the muffler was allowed to run loose for any length of time, that flat machined surface on both the muffler and exhaust flange may have "fretted"/worn to the point where they are no longer flat. If that happens, there is no fastening method that will secure that muffler - not until those surfaces have been dressed with a flat file.
Feb 24, 2020, 08:54 AM
I did some earth quake testing yesterday. One muffler bolt held. Dont know where the other one is.

Note to self, idle on fail safe. Full throttle in at about 70 degree angle, DLE30.
Got the Pile Driver award for the day.

On another note, my old design rcgf 10cc (straight plug) has developed a bad bearing after about an hour run time. Gravel road syndrome. The rcgf stinger 10cc now has about 30 minutes and the idle is settling down very nicely. It goes into the trainer today.
Edwin
Feb 24, 2020, 12:35 PM
Ouch!!!

No ign. switch? Or not enough time to consider it?
Feb 24, 2020, 01:11 PM
Receiver quit responding. Couldn't do anything. 2 seconds to impact.
Edwin
Feb 25, 2020, 12:26 PM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Quote:
Originally Posted by carteraveri
Since I discovered Nord-Lock washers I use them exclusively for muffler bolts. I have never had one come loose.

Last edited by grosbeak; Feb 27, 2020 at 04:45 PM.
Feb 25, 2020, 08:55 PM
I ran the 15 cc today and very good so far
Feb 26, 2020, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1
Receiver quit responding. Couldn't do anything. 2 seconds to impact.
Edwin
Probably happened pretty quickly, but thinking one of the conditions for the ign. to turn on (either one of the popular designs) is a solid signal from the receiver, no? I only bring this up to possibly help give you an idea of what happened.
Feb 26, 2020, 08:15 AM
Does make sense. It was a dual battery setup. All the radio gear is on the work bench now. First thing to check is how my fail safe was setup. I got in a hurry to get in the air and said those famous last words, "I'll fix that later". What was I thinking!

Anyway, leaving for Perry Georgia swapmeet tomorrow morning. Im sure I'll find another ultrastick there.
Edwin

Quick Reply