Feb 08, 2020, 05:57 PM
PhoenixFlyer
Thread OP
Discussion

P-8 Restart

This has been put on hold, several times. Maybe get to the paint stage, wife has some honey-dews, soon as the weather breaks. Fitted up with an old
Midwest spinner, Tru-Turns somewhere in unpacked boxes, will change it out on finish. Setting up SA-NG, all straight forward. Going to try out Wings West paint this time around. Picture right end is current project.

Wing halves are done, have to do the stab, and surfaces, + 1/2 or 3/4 oz. glass cloth. See if I can keep this going.
V
Last edited by PhoenixFlyer; Feb 08, 2020 at 06:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2020, 09:08 PM
Nice Vince!

R
Feb 09, 2020, 11:39 AM
Awesome! Would love to see some progress.
Feb 09, 2020, 02:30 PM
PhoenixFlyer
Thread OP
Nose gear start, will pull pull. Wings in waiting. Does not look so bright and shiny at this time, it will get there, few pics from last builds, threads on RCU. Last two pictures are current.
V
Feb 12, 2020, 05:30 PM
PhoenixFlyer
Thread OP

Prop Talk

See what happens, may bench and tach. No expert here.

V
Feb 12, 2020, 09:09 PM
That just doesn't look right.
Feb 12, 2020, 10:27 PM
That does look a little weird Vince. Maybe its just that I'm so used to see P-8s with 2 bladed props. Keep in mind that a 3 bladed prop gives less thrust than a 2 bladed one, at least in models. Probably has to do with reynolds numbers and some other stuff like the RPMs in which our models operate.
Last edited by RC YEAGER; Feb 12, 2020 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Typo
Feb 13, 2020, 04:52 AM
PhoenixFlyer
Thread OP
I agree. Just doesn't look right. Like putting a hood ornament on a Corvette. Just to raise some comments. The proper set up will be readied. I had a load of TF Super M's, 11X7.75, couple more boxes to empty after last move.
V
Feb 13, 2020, 01:08 PM
PhoenixFlyer
Thread OP
Back at it. Dug out some boxes this morning, looking for stock and ply. I did find the 8 plans. Have to get the stab done, as soon as the wing. is glassed, and joined set in saddle, correct, get the stab in, line up. That will take some time, for me that is. Measure, again, again and again. Everything has to be equal, and a normal person would not see any problem. Front to back, all corners. I realize this is not design engineers lingo.
The stab tips, 1/16" ply sandwiched in, carve right around it, perfect. More later.
V
Last edited by PhoenixFlyer; Feb 14, 2020 at 09:21 AM.
Feb 13, 2020, 08:28 PM
Yea, a build thread.
Feb 14, 2020, 09:25 AM
PhoenixFlyer
Thread OP

Photos Bust

Couple pictures here, showing direction moving in. Lot of pix on RCU build threads of the P-6's. Name there, Crankpin. Have to find some LE stock, in the shop somewhere.
V
Last edited by PhoenixFlyer; Feb 14, 2020 at 10:32 AM.
Feb 14, 2020, 10:31 AM
Hey Vince,
I still have and love my 10+ year old Verizon LG flip phone. It has proven to be indestructible (including a swim in the ocean). My family gives me a hard time about it and I just tell them I'm keeping it until it dies. It may need a new battery this year.
-Will
Feb 14, 2020, 10:37 AM
PhoenixFlyer
Thread OP
Will. Yes, I agree. There are about 6 old phones in one of the dressers here. Get back to this thread tomorrow or later. Start on the gear, cable steering, this is Spring-Air, they also have the retract arm. Line up, ready to cut into fuse, set in wing after joining. Lot to do there, run servo wire tunnel, air lines and servos to wing halfs. Allen set screws will take over, NG will be straightened.

Vince
Last edited by PhoenixFlyer; Feb 14, 2020 at 02:48 PM.
Feb 14, 2020, 11:34 PM
KM6UBL
Good to see you back at it Vince. Keep us posted.

Robert
Feb 15, 2020, 06:48 PM
PhoenixFlyer
Thread OP

P-8

Work up the stab. Refer to plans, had to go back to RCU P-6 build threads to see what I did. Age is catching up. Cut 1/4" from plank for LE. Epoxy on, the skin will cover this. Cap the tips, cut out template to sandwich 1/16" ply, then adhere. A few old build pictures are included, showing where this is going.
V

Quick Reply