Feb 08, 2020, 02:37 PM
Trader Rating: 22
Thread OP
Discussion

Sad

I have enjoyed model airplanes, Free Flight, the old Reed Pulse stuff with my father when I was very young in the 50's. We transitioned from Dads U control to barely control to digital control.
I bought Nelson Hobby from Jerry ten years ago and had to shut down from lack of interest. I pretty much gave away $15,000 in RC airframes in 2018 and 2019. The shows no longer draw anyone, even Toledo I have heard isnt close to what it used to be.
Did we get too old, I am 70 and not slowing down. Did we think Social Security was going to cover the bases.
Did we adopt Depron over skill,
Quads over learning to fly.
I look at the adds here and see that no one will spend much, if you arent giving things away they arent going anywhere.
What happened?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2020, 02:43 PM
Trader Rating: 153
Build a scale plane already!!!
Times changed

As far as the trade shows,,, They used to be the place to go to see all the new stuff,, now with the internet,, the new products are online instantly,, trade shows are behind the curve as far as that goes,,

Toledo still has a huge swap shop,, seems like that's the big draw for many,, but yes,, fewer and fewer vendors each year
Feb 08, 2020, 02:50 PM
Trader Rating: 39
Last edited by balsa-n-glow; Feb 28, 2020 at 12:38 AM.
Feb 08, 2020, 03:29 PM
Trader Rating: 90
Don't poke a skunk !!
agreed, i 'm 66 and pretty much let this technology go right past me. my Dad also had the big ol transmitter with wet cell battery for power. i remember a hand held button with a cable you pushed to control stuff. everybody flew at the local airport. did lot's of .049 control line then graduated to to fox .35 stunt. remember the guarantee ? you send a wore out fox mtr and they would rebuild it or replace it for 1/2 price. them old timers would show up to meets, Hazel Sig, Duke Fox., Carl Goldberg. what about the C/L tanks out of the Carolina's. C/L combat was a blast. 70mph with no muffler. i'm glad i lived in that period of time. got zapped a few times too running them 60ft braided steel lines when a thunder storm was near by. ahhh the smell of castor oil. people just don't bother building anymore, they don't use their hands. nothing worthwhile coming outta these trade schools either.
Last edited by kartooo; Feb 08, 2020 at 03:36 PM.
Feb 08, 2020, 03:39 PM
Trader Rating: 22
Thread OP
I agree with everyone that posted, Very happy that I still have my hobby and it is apparent that I should fly my creations more, that seems to thin things occasionally.

Also I am out of power, at least juice and going to start building some of the Free Flight birds and go electric with a 2 min climb out and then thermal hunting. No winches, to tows just Free Flight.
Feb 08, 2020, 05:03 PM
Don't poke a skunk !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by desilejf
I agree with everyone that posted, Very happy that I still have my hobby and it is apparent that I should fly my creations more, that seems to thin things occasionally.

Also I am out of power, at least juice and going to start building some of the Free Flight birds and go electric with a 2 min climb out and then thermal hunting. No winches, to tows just Free Flight.
don't get me goin on thermals. i played with gliders with a mtr up frt and folding prop. went full blast like all my hobbies, couldn't get enough. one yr my kids asked me what i wanted for father's day. a ride in a real glider so i could feel thermals. easier than R/C stuff. already knew the basics. he had me doin stalls 1st time up !! if i remember stall was about 35mph. spent the summer chasing thermals in a real glider until it got too easy and i lost interest . new hobby now is r/c swamp boats. combine an electric drone mtr with a boat and it's a blast. goes on water, snow, wet grass, ice.
Feb 09, 2020, 08:43 AM
Trader Rating: 81
Mt. Dora, Florida
Yep, we are just getting old. I think the loss of places to fly has added to the lack of interest in the hobby. I planned on teaching my grandson how to fly R/C planes to get him off the computer, but I have lost most of the places I used to fly due to over building of homes, buildings and subdivisions. It's a shame, but it's progress good bad or indifferent.
Feb 09, 2020, 09:23 AM
Don't poke a skunk !!
we had a good amount of places here to fly both C/L and R/C.
there all gone. even the 1,000's of acres of cranberry bogs around me. we can't get in there because of liability issues. they are also building houses, solar farms and condos in there.
Feb 09, 2020, 10:00 AM
Trader Rating: 684
Eternal Child
It's only sad........if you focus on just the past (which WAS awesome) and not look at what is still very possible in our future. This hobby in Southern Oregon, is going quite well. Has it taken some work to get there? Sure. But a lot of things that you want to succeed take some work. When I moved here 2 1/2 years ago, my local club was about to roll over & throw the towel in. I joined, brought out my stuff, became Vice President of the club, brought the art of building, back into the club with a winter build challenge, and my enthusiasm became infectious. We went from a trashy landfill to a beautiful grass lined, decomposed granite field, had 3 guys flying in a whole weeks time, to now, 5-10 per day!
I'm 68. I don't have the time to dwell on "The glory days of RC". Those days WERE great, but so can be the future! RCGroups IS the new Hobby Shop! I have as much enthusiasm visiting every day here as I did when my head was lower than the counter at my old LHS! Life is what you make it Gents! It's not gonna come to you, sometimes YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT HAPPEN! Every time I show up at our field with a new plane, engine, radio, tool or whatever, I'm just that kid again, and when I'm there with my current attitude, I'm infectious! Try it. The results are amazing!

Steve
Feb 09, 2020, 10:04 AM
Trader Rating: 149
AMA 72859 Build Baby, Build!
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa-n-glow
The hobby as a whole is dying off with its generation, and FAA isn't helping.
Absolutely!

The new FAA proposal of registering flying sites and not allowing any new flying sites to be registered a year after the regulations take effect will kill the hobby over time.

I've posted my letter to the FAA's discussion site but only 10,000 or so have done the same. There are around 195,000 active AMA members and the deadline to post a response is March 2nd!!!

It takes as long to post a complaint to the FAA as it does to post to a thread here. With a 5% response rate by our active membership they will never listen. Even at 95% they may not, but how many times do people complain about government and never show up to vote!

AMA Response Template:
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...uas-remote-id/

FAA comment site:
https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...rcraft-systems
Last edited by ww2collector; Feb 09, 2020 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Add
Feb 09, 2020, 10:33 AM
Trader Rating: 684
Eternal Child
Eric......10,001 now!
Feb 09, 2020, 10:39 AM
Trader Rating: 149
AMA 72859 Build Baby, Build!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevster
Eric......10,001 now!
'At a boy, Steve!

By the way...you are my internet hobby shop!
Feb 09, 2020, 10:50 AM
Trader Rating: 16
the smell of nitro in the morn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww2collector
Absolutely!

The new FAA proposal of registering flying sites and not allowing any new flying sites to be registered a year after the regulations take effect will kill the hobby over time.

I've posted my letter to the FAA's discussion site but only 10,000 or so have done the same. There are around 195,000 active AMA members and the deadline to post a response is March 2nd!!!

It takes as long to post a complaint to the FAA as it does to post to a thread here. With a 5% response rate by our active membership they will never listen. Even at 95% they may not, but how many times do people complain about government and never show up to vote!

AMA Response Template:
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...uas-remote-id/

FAA comment site:
https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...rcraft-systems
Done , Thanks for the link.
Feb 09, 2020, 10:56 AM
Trader Rating: 24
I agree

ARF’s and internet shopping will never work for a guy like me

And thats lookin forward!

Lookin back was just too cool

But just about all of the State I live in