Feb 07, 2020, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
Question

Running Gas in a Glow engine??

Hi,

I am planning to buy my first airplane with a glow engine. The problem is, the nearest hobbyshop is 2 hours away so I can't get glow fuel very easily. My question is, can I run gas in a glow engine, or at least a mix of gas and glow fuel? Is it even possible?

The airplane I am looking at is a Carl Goldberg Cub w/ OS FP .40 engine.

Thank you,
Jeremy
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2020, 08:23 PM
Not without adding a sparkplug/CDI and modifying the carb or using some other method of adjusting the fuel air mixture. It's not hard but it's not as simple as just changing fuel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Feb 07, 2020, 08:41 PM
Well it may be possible, OS makes special ultra hot glow plugs. The P3 P4, G5 and GGT15. The ultra hot glow plugs do happen to work with gasoline. But the catch is that the gasoline is used at a much more lean air to fuel ratio. The RC carbs are calibrated for methanol fuels. some carbs will let you set the idle and full throttle but the mid range may wind up not working. Some people make an adapter to use a small bore Walbro carb or they obtain a gas carb from a gas engine that has the same displacement size as the one they are converting. Of course if you are only going to fly full throttle only and kill the engine when done flying then it isn't a big deal. Racing, control line, free flight and even some types of sport flying use this method already with glow engines.

Then you need to use oil ratios in line with what glow engines use. The connecting rod is bushed and it needs the oil, especially at full throttle. Due to the lean air/fuel ratios you may need to use 20% oil or more.a Use only 100% synthetic oil, no blends. Adding a lot of oil to the fuel tends to make it slightly more thick too. That may help with some carbs and get them to work better as well.

Finally methanol using glow engines can run at higher compression ratios than the gasoline engines can. Some glow engines use fairly high compression ratios that don't work well with conversions to gasoline without lowering the compression ratio a little.
Last edited by earlwb; Feb 07, 2020 at 08:44 PM. Reason: typo
Feb 07, 2020, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the help guys!

I guess I better stick with glow, especially since this is my first glow airplane.
Feb 07, 2020, 11:08 PM
Still gassin' it.
Dang, I should set up a dealership network in the US... Then one of my dealers could do the conversion for you.

But it would cost you, though

Just kidding!
Feb 08, 2020, 10:57 AM
One other thought is you could see if you can find a Horizon evolution 8cc gas engine thaat they used on their trainer RTF planes. There should be used engines around and even some new ones still.

Another choice is the NV-Engines GX-40 gas engine too. it is a .40 size engine and it works really well. It develops more power for its size than one might think it does. I am using one on a 3D stunt plane myself.
http://www.nvengines.com/index.php?p...mart&Itemid=65
Last edited by earlwb; Feb 08, 2020 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo
Feb 08, 2020, 01:19 PM
If you live in the US you can order and have glow fuel delivered to your door. I just ordered 4 gallons from S&W and the cost works out to about what I would pay at the hobby shop. I know there are others that will ship glow fuel also.

http://www.s-whobby.com/index.html

https://www.amainhobbies.com/fuel-ac...irplanes/c5734
Feb 08, 2020, 05:11 PM
Thread OP
Thanks very much for all the information!

It's awesome that there are people that are willing to help a beginner like me!
Feb 08, 2020, 08:15 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFastFlying
Hi,

I am planning to buy my first airplane with a glow engine. The problem is, the nearest hobbyshop is 2 hours away so I can't get glow fuel very easily. My question is, can I run gas in a glow engine, or at least a mix of gas and glow fuel? Is it even possible?

The airplane I am looking at is a Carl Goldberg Cub w/ OS FP .40 engine.

Thank you,
Jeremy
My suggestion is to start driving then when you buy premixed methanol fuel from your nearest hobby shop, buy a large quantity at a time to cut down on your number of trips. For me to get glow fuel from a hobby store I have to take an airplane or start swimming. So sorry, you don't get sympathy from me.

My work around is to find the local drag racers and buy methanol from them to mix my own fuel.

Yes you can convert a methanol engine to gas. However there are no free lunch because you have to compromise. You give up certain things when you convert. Bert can tell you all about conversion. However for me the conversion of a small engine is not worthwhile. When I was desperate I even bought most of the Ethanol engines that OS make. Still that is only a compromise. Methanol is still the simplest form of power for a smaller RC engine (.40 size and smaller) in my opinion. Bert has a different opinion of course. From a .60 size or 10cc and larger gasoline along with a spark ignition becomes a viable alternative. There are also a whole bunch of gasoline engines made specifically for RC flying nowadays. In the old days most hobbyist used converted chainsaw and weed wacker engines. They tend to be very heavy.

What ever you do and which ever path you want to take my only advice is NEVER to mix fuel. Do not mix methanol (you call it glow fuel but I like to be more specific) with anything else. If you want to run your engine on Methanol use methanol and oil and nitromethane only. Do NOT mix methanol with ethanol or gasoline.

Since you are new, why go through all the trouble when you can simply buy a jug of pre-mixed glow fuel and use it. 2 hours is only a couple of CD on your CD changer.
Feb 09, 2020, 12:12 AM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
Methanol is still the simplest form of power for a smaller RC engine (.40 size and smaller) in my opinion. Bert has a different opinion of course.
not really, I absolutely agree that Methanol and glow is (at least from a "production-technical" point of view) the simplest form of power, from .010 up all the way to 1.80 or so.

Quote:
From a .60 size or 10cc and larger gasoline along with a spark ignition becomes a viable alternative.
I believe that limit to be around .30 provided using electronic fuel control

I also believe (nay, am convinced) that using such a system makes an engine even user friendlier than electric power.
Quote:
What ever you do and which ever path you want to take my only advice is NEVER to mix fuel. Do not mix methanol (you call it glow fuel but I like to be more specific) with anything else. If you want to run your engine on Methanol use methanol and oil and nitromethane only. Do NOT mix methanol with ethanol or gasoline.
100% agree on that
Quote:
Since you are new, why go through all the trouble when you can simply buy a jug of pre-mixed glow fuel and use it. 2 hours is only a couple of CD on your CD changer.
and that too. Get some engine experience first.
Feb 09, 2020, 01:53 PM
AMA 46133
>> not really, I absolutely agree that Methanol and glow is (at least from a "production-technical" point of view) the simplest form of power, from .010 up all the way to 1.80 or so.<<

I have a hard time with .010 and .020. They need special fuel which I cannot get. When I was a kid I used to play with my Cox .020 a lot but I could get little cans of fuel at that time.

1.80 is awfully thirsty for methanol. I have at least 4 X Super Tigre ST3000 and occasionally I thought about running them on methanol. They are all CDI converted but I always hesitate when I thought about running methanol on those. I can run through 1/2 gallon of fuel in one day of flying.

Then again I am running through 1/2 gallon of fuel with my Dub Jett 91 also.

>>I believe that limit to be around .30 provided using electronic fuel control<<

I will stick with a 10 cc and up.

>>I also believe (nay, am convinced) that using such a system makes an engine even user friendlier than electric power.<<

They are definitely very reliable. I am not sure I consider electric power friendly. They are different and definitely has a lot of advantages. They are also a bit more reliable but they can lure the user into thinking they are friendly and they bite. I have seen more accidents with electric motors.

Even I have scars from electric motors.
Feb 09, 2020, 06:59 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
1.80 is awfully thirsty for methanol. I have at least 4 X Super Tigre ST3000 and occasionally I thought about running them on methanol. They are all CDI converted but I always hesitate when I thought about running methanol on those. I can run through 1/2 gallon of fuel in one day of flying.
Yup... .90 and up is where the savings begin being really significant.

Although, believe it or not, last consumption checks on my .52 fourstroke showed cruise setting of 2 ml/min @ 6K RPM... That is 90 minutes of flight on 6 oz of fuel
That simply is bordering on ridiculous….
Quote:

I will stick with a 10 cc and up.
no argument from me, but you simply should try that valve you got from me and see how small you can get, just for fun... It's really a bit astonishing.
Quote:

I am not sure I consider electric power friendly. They are different and definitely has a lot of advantages. They are also a bit more reliable but they can lure the user into thinking they are friendly and they bite. I have seen more accidents with electric motors.

Even I have scars from electric motors.
Definitely.
Feb 09, 2020, 07:26 PM
I've got a saito .52 that I may convert with the valve. I may find a .30 for it, but I'm not in a hurry to figure it out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Feb 09, 2020, 10:40 PM
AMA 537620
I read some post years ago about people mixing gas with glow fuel. Some engines were able to tolerate a good amount of gas, some engines were able to run with a different carb. And I’ve heard of some engines running fairly well on E85... But if you want simple (and to not risk engine damage), stick to the fuel the engine is designed to run on .
Feb 10, 2020, 01:23 AM
AMA 46133
>>Yup... .90 and up is where the savings begin being really significant.<<

I bought a C & H Ignition converted Super Tigre S90 from the classifieds here and it was one of the most flexible engine. I can stuff all three kinds of fuel (Gasoline, Ethanol and Methanol) in the engine and it will run nicely. Too bad I had to lose it in the forest.

Quick Reply