Feb 23, 2020, 11:28 AM
Still work in progress...
I'm enjoying building this plane so far. The parts fit nicely together and it just looks awesome in my opinion.

I will go with the recommended 6S setup and the Emax MT 3510 v2 motor.
For that setup I've ordered some PETG to print the motor mount.

Regarding PLA and sun... does actually painting the PLA help with making it more durable in the sun?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2020, 02:03 PM
Logic says paint would keep UV from reaching the PLA.
Feb 23, 2020, 10:50 PM
UV is not the problem, temperature is. The lighter the color, the better it will withstand the heat/direct sun. Red and white hold up well.
Feb 24, 2020, 08:49 AM
Thanks!
Feb 24, 2020, 07:12 PM
Has anyone tried fibreglass and wbpu over PLA to protect it from heat and the inevitable flexing?
Feb 26, 2020, 02:40 AM
My cat moderates better
Any reason I can't print this out of PETG instead of PLA? The masses/density is pretty close for both types.
Feb 26, 2020, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillzillaAus
Any reason I can't print this out of PETG instead of PLA? The masses/density is pretty close for both types.
Printing it is one thing, flying another. PETG is I'm sure too flexible. Give it a try and you will see what I mean. You would get away with it on some parts but don't think any part of the wing will go well with it.
Feb 26, 2020, 05:10 PM
My cat moderates better
Thanks - I got much the same answer of the FB page.
Feb 27, 2020, 03:48 AM
I'm just finishing up my 3dLabPrint TA-152. The design features of this 3D printed plane are the best I've seen so far. The scale detail is impressive and the way the parts fit together makes it easy to assemble. It also gives the impression of being lighter than others I've built, like the Sturmovik which is a little bit clunky.

The only disappointment is the spinner. My first thought was to draw my own, but I'm glad I did some searching on the Internet first.

As luck would have it, Flight Line sells a model of the TA-152 just slightly larger than the 3dLabPrint version. They offer some spare parts and the spinner is just about perfect. It's a tad too big, but I can live with that. The spinner on the real aircraft also looks a little bit too large, at least to my eye.

I bought a couple of them from Motion RC for only four bucks each. They come in two blade and three blade versions. It makes a huge difference in the scale appearance even with my 2 blade set up.
Feb 27, 2020, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar
Printing it is one thing, flying another. PETG is I'm sure too flexible. Give it a try and you will see what I mean. You would get away with it on some parts but don't think any part of the wing will go well with it.
The hybrid version they suggest uses LW-PLA on the outer wing parts. LW-PLA is as floppy as it gets. It is much more flexible than PETG.

PETG is a pita to glue too though. I tried using it on planes before and I had one desintegrate midair because the wing parted on a glue joint.

I am working on a ASA Ta 152 right now. My fear is, that it could be too flexible too though. I might have to adjust some parts for more rigidy.
Feb 27, 2020, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozella
I'm just finishing up my 3dLabPrint TA-152. The design features of this 3D printed plane are the best I've seen so far. The scale detail is impressive and the way the parts fit together makes it easy to assemble. It also gives the impression of being lighter than others I've built, like the Sturmovik which is a little bit clunky.

The only disappointment is the spinner. My first thought was to draw my own, but I'm glad I did some searching on the Internet first.

As luck would have it, Flight Line sells a model of the TA-152 just slightly larger than the 3dLabPrint version. They offer some spare parts and the spinner is just about perfect. It's a tad too big, but I can live with that. The spinner on the real aircraft also looks a little bit too large, at least to my eye.

I bought a couple of them from Motion RC for only four bucks each. They come in two blade and three blade versions. It makes a huge difference in the scale appearance even with my 2 blade set up.
I'm also done printing my TA-152 with PLA and just the PETG motor mount left to do.
It fit's nicely together and feels light and rigid.

I had also looked at the Flightline spinner and the 2 blade prop. Interesting is also the weight of the EPO plane (1/11 scale I guess) vs. the 3D printed (1/12 scale) plane.
Will give it a try I guess.
What motor do you use? And did you order the spinner and the motor shaft type a?

Thanks
Last edited by Mclogo; Feb 27, 2020 at 06:56 AM.
Feb 27, 2020, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclogo
.......... snip.............
What motor do you use? And did you order the spinner and the motor shaft type a?

Thanks
I bought SunnySky V4006 and SunnySky V3506. I'm not sure yet which motor I will use. I printed a mount for each of them because they use a different bolt pattern.

I don't understand your question about the spinner. As far as I can tell, FlightlineRC offers the spinner in two blade or three blade. I don't know what a "type a" is.
Feb 27, 2020, 08:36 AM
Quote:
I bought SunnySky V4006 and SunnySky V3506. I'm not sure yet which motor I will use. I printed a mount for each of them because they use a different bolt pattern.

I don't understand your question about the spinner. As far as I can tell, FlightlineRC offers the spinner in two blade or three blade. I don't know what a "type a" is.
This motor shaft comes with the Flightline TA 152:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/21...g?v=1555931437
As far as I can see the spinner is attached to the prop nut and adapter.
Last edited by Mclogo; Feb 27, 2020 at 08:51 AM.
Feb 27, 2020, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclogo
........ snip..............
As far as I can see the spinner is attached to the prop nut and adapter.
Now I see what you mean. I had not noticed this shaft and adapter before.

The Sunnysky motor I plan to use came with a similar shaft but it is not tapped to accept an on-center screw to affix the spinner. I was planning to drill and tap my prop shaft, but thanks to your sharp eye, I'll order one of these shafts and see if I can make it work. I was unable to find the specifications, but with a little luck the mounting holes will match. If not, I'll figure out a plan to either use the shaft I have on hand, or adapt the one you pointed out.
Thank you.
Feb 27, 2020, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Now I see what you mean. I had not noticed this shaft and adapter before.

The Sunnysky motor I plan to use came with a similar shaft but it is not tapped to accept an on-center screw to affix the spinner. I was planning to drill and tap my prop shaft, but thanks to your sharp eye, I'll order one of these shafts and see if I can make it work. I was unable to find the specifications, but with a little luck the mounting holes will match. If not, I'll figure out a plan to either use the shaft I have on hand, or adapt the one you pointed out.
Thank you.
Ywc I've ordered both the spinner and the shaft.
Should arrive on Tuesday. Will check if it fits directly and post my findings here.

Quick Reply