Feb 05, 2020, 07:57 PM
TAFTS
Thread OP
Discussion

3D Printed Glow Engine

This was introduced in another thread but I thought it should be here. The airplanes are Dollar Tree Foam Board but I wanted little glow motors on them. The story goes way back but I got into 3D printers about three years ago to do just this. You can read a bit more in the Vintage thread if interested.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rus-Park-Flyer
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...berg-Eaglet-33

I have had several requests for the 3D print files so here they are. This was made specifically for these models. The engine is not complete and only has the parts for the part showing in the pictures. It was originally made with a 24mm diameter cylinder. for the Eaglet. Then I scaled it up 110% for the Taurus. The head fins were not done very well. I was getting tired and just wanted results. I should re-do them, but....There are two mufflers. The more modern one has the angled exhaust. The one with the straight exhaust is more similar to ones from the late 70's to 80-'s. They are both pretty generic. I didn't really copy anything (well maybe a little OS) and they are just simple models to make my cute airplanes cuter

Also pictured are some reject parts. You can see how blocky the fins are in the 120% head. The far right muffler half is 110%. The case halves print separate but I have already glued them together in this photo. The carb housing has also been glued to the little joiner piece. I thought about printing the carb body in black for the Veco or Perry look I try to design everything so it prints correctly without exterior supports. You get a much nicer model by gluing parts together. I don't know why everyone on Thingiverse thinks you have to make things in as few parts as possible. The assembled one in the back is 110% but with the more modern muffler design. Its for a slightly larger Eaglet or Jr. Tiger. The close-up of the needle housing is to show the 2mm nylon standoff and screw that make the needle valve. I thought about the bent wire but just really wanted simple, quick, and durable. Note the crappy 3D parts that became rejects. If someone wanted the more classic "no muffler" look, the entire case would have to be changed to get rid of the muffler mounts.

Print with supports on. I used a 0.4 mm nozzle with 0.2mm layer heights in PLA. Finer might look a little better. I clamped the parts together, lining them up the best I could, and then wicked in some thin CA. Then a few minutes with an X-acto knife to clean any flashing and you should get a cute little motor

Please don't quote the entire post so I can edit it. And its just annoying
Last edited by Scott Todd; Feb 05, 2020 at 08:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2020, 08:32 PM
Retired CAD guy
We this will certainly SHUT UP the Dino, Never Electric modelers

Mostly because they would be Stunned !

Nice work !
Feb 05, 2020, 09:39 PM
Very cool.
Feb 06, 2020, 12:36 AM
Awesome, Thank you :-))
Feb 06, 2020, 09:24 AM
Retired CAD guy
Wait a minute ...

where'd you find the square Taurus ? ;>}
Feb 06, 2020, 09:39 AM
TAFTS
Thread OP
Back up a little and squint. It aint square

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rus-Park-Flyer
Feb 09, 2020, 04:33 PM
the printed motors really made the Eaglet and Taurus stand out.
I would have given those two birds best scratch built at the AZ Electric Festival.
Feb 12, 2020, 01:05 AM
Grumpa Tom
Those are very nice. I just got started with a 3D printer, and made this the other day. Found it on Thingiverse and scaled it up 1.5 to have a larger display piece.
Feb 14, 2020, 12:58 PM
Very nice job but I have to say one of the best parts of electric to me is getting rid of the ugly motor hanging out.
Feb 20, 2020, 10:11 PM
TAFTS
Thread OP
I get that for scale stuff, but as a kid in the 60's and 70's, I thumbed through model magazines looking at the motors and dreaming of when my Cox .049 would grow up to be a 'real' motor with a Carb and Muffler

I switched to all electric about 15 years ago when we got LiPo's. I don't miss the mess and fuss but I do miss seeing the motors
Feb 20, 2020, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Todd
I get that for scale stuff, but as a kid in the 60's and 70's, I thumbed through model magazines looking at the motors and dreaming of when my Cox .049 would grow up to be a 'real' motor with a Carb and Muffler

I switched to all electric about 15 years ago when we got LiPo's. I don't miss the mess and fuss but I do miss seeing the motors
Yeah, I get it for sure. Great job.
Feb 25, 2020, 06:51 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
That's just plain hilarious! Too awesome. I could never afford "real" motors either as a kid, but when I had money to waste on toys, electric happened.... Never went "big fuel" (>.049), though ironically I do dabble in design and making mini gas engines.

Quick Reply