Oct 13, 2021, 01:54 PM
It sucks when it starts like this ..
Foam models - it can happen even on the field if you leave them on direct sun for too long
- but agree - it should not look like this out of the box ..

Elevator (along with LG) - is most delicate part on this model
- if you manage to solve this issue to satisfaction - you will be happy with it otherwise ..

I tend to add small carbon rods (cca 1x3mm or 1x5mm) on the few last models (did the same for AT and Timber..) - no problems since ..
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2021, 12:33 AM
I have both the FMS PA-18 Super Cub and the Avios Grand Tundra from HK. Both are bigger than the Air Tractor and cost more or less the same. The overall quality, fit and finish of those two models is superior to the Air Tractor as is their value for money.

We, as customers, should not have to fix manufacturing defects and quality assurance problems like this.
Oct 14, 2021, 04:35 AM
Model returned to my local model shop for replacement tail feathers or complete new model. Now I wait another 2 weeks to receive a new one with a high probability of the same problem.

Not very happy.

Update in last minute: Call from model shop. They have a replacement for the warped tail half on the way!
Last edited by Phoenix239; Oct 14, 2021 at 04:53 AM. Reason: new info / update
Oct 14, 2021, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix239
Model returned to my local model shop for replacement tail feathers or complete new model. Now I wait another 2 weeks to receive a new one with a high probability of the same problem.

Not very happy.

Update in last minute: Call from model shop. They have a replacement for the warped tail half on the way!
Good Luck! I hope this has a happy ending.
-Vic
Oct 14, 2021, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic
Good Luck! I hope this has a happy ending.
-Vic
Cheers Vic. I hope so too.
Oct 14, 2021, 11:38 AM
As I'm waiting on just the replacement horizontal stab half I have the model back from the model shop. It could be anything from a few days to over a week to get the part.
So, I will do all the TX programming, put the model together and do a preliminary set up of control throws, CofG etc. All being well I'll then start on the mods starting with new wheels and a few other things.
Then when the stab arrives I simply have to fix it to the plane and with a bit of luck all should be good to go.
Oct 14, 2021, 11:49 AM
Good news !

Yeah - while you waiting - check absolutely every single screw, rod, glue joint etc.
While your case presents huge and unforgiveable (and avoidable) mistake
- one can not expect that absolutely everything will be "perfect" on "mass production" ..
Coming from the days of hand copying ribs from blueprints etc. - I am still amazed what we get these days "from the box" ..
This of course not mean that we should avoid asking for better - and pointing out mistakes ..
Smart company will listen - presumably ..
Oct 15, 2021, 11:03 AM
Made a start on the AT today.

Tx set up and bound to the Rx with the main objective being to check that all the servos/linkages work correctly. All perfect except that the left aileron servo was not working. I removed the wing to discover that the aileron servo connector in the wing root was pressed back into the wing. I managed to pull it out and added a few tiny drops of CA to fix it into position.

As an aside, a friend has had the same problem with his E-Flite Focke Wolf (and numerous other problems too) and has vowed never to buy another E-Flite model.

Upon reinserting the wing the aileron was now working but it's something I will keep an eye on.

Next job was to change the stock wheels for something better looking. I drilled out the UC to accept an M4 machine screw cut to length and added the new wheels which look way better than stock and more scale like. (see pics).

I've also painted the tail wheel hub silver and the tail wheel support bracket yellow to match the plane (pic later).

That's it for now, hopefully I will make more progress tomorrow.
Oct 15, 2021, 02:10 PM

Tail wheel

Quick shot of tail wheel.
Oct 15, 2021, 05:08 PM

Landing Gear

Phoenix239, I strongly advise that you change or modify the landing gear. Since you have the model, try bending the gear. You will see that it bends very easily and does not return to its original shape. It is soft, cheap metal. There are a few mods shown in this thread that help. However, the right way to fix the problem is to replace the gear with stronger metal or Carbon Fiber.

Just my observation.
-Vic
Oct 16, 2021, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic
Phoenix239, I strongly advise that you change or modify the landing gear. Since you have the model, try bending the gear. You will see that it bends very easily and does not return to its original shape. It is soft, cheap metal. There are a few mods shown in this thread that help. However, the right way to fix the problem is to replace the gear with stronger metal or Carbon Fiber.

Just my observation.
-Vic
Yes, I'm aware of the problem with the main gear and considering a few alternatives that I have from previous models. If none of those proive suitable I will look for new gear along the lines of those posted earlier in this thread.
Oct 17, 2021, 10:07 AM
A couple of small additions for more interest.
Oct 19, 2021, 06:06 PM
According to the manual, the throws are , Aler- 20 mm up & down, Elev - 10mm up & down, and Rudder - 32mm left & right. is that the correct throws, or are others using something different.
Oct 20, 2021, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gubala
According to the manual, the throws are , Aler- 20 mm up & down, Elev - 10mm up & down, and Rudder - 32mm left & right. is that the correct throws, or are others using something different.
The recommended throws are just a starting point since there is not a "one size fits all" setting. I don't own a deflection meter - I just get it close with a ruler. I generally use the recommended throws for my low rate setting and go to max achievable throws for high rates. I then make adjustments to suit my flying style.
This works for me. Your millage may be different.
-Vic
Oct 20, 2021, 06:43 PM
I got a new Air Tractor on the weekend. Took it out on Monday and had some interesting flying characteristics when I deployed the flaps. I had set the flaps as the manual said, -100 for up, 0 for half flaps, and +100 for landing flaps. I also set the flap elevator mix for 5 degrees down with half flaps and 10 degrees down with full flaps as the manual suggested. But when flying, half flaps had the plane descending just slightly, but full flaps had the plane really nose down and it took a lot of up elevator to keep it flying level. I went home after flying 4 batteries and looked at the manual. It also said the flap movement should be 10mm for half flaps and 20mm down for full flaps. Turns out with the other setting I had used, the flaps were going down 18mm on half flaps and 37mm on full flaps. So, I made changes in the transmitter's programming to limit the motion to the 10 and 20mm amounts and I also added some 3.5" dubro low bounce tires and shifted the battery back to compensate for the heavier tires. With that combination, when I deployed the flaps the plane flew level with no nosing down, and the landings were much better with the flap/elevator mix and the new tires. Hope this helps others flying this plane. These changes make is super easy to land the plane without bouncing it on my paved runway. Steve

Quick Reply