Mar 22, 2021, 07:13 AM
For beta flight 4.2.4, you will need to download the F405 unified target from this post:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=45834967

Then use the config file referenced on the Matek site for the F405se. That should get it running. You may have to play with the resources some, but it should work.

For iNav, there’s currently no compatible hex at the moment.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2021, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jihlein
For beta flight 4.2.4, you will need to download the F405 unified target from this post:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=45834967

Then use the config file referenced on the Matek site for the F405se. That should get it running. You may have to play with the resources some, but it should work.

For iNav, there’s currently no compatible hex at the moment.
Sorry to hear that ( I'll be waiting for some smart guy to compile iNav 2.6 firmware
Mar 26, 2021, 12:43 PM
I forgot I kicked this off the other night for grins. My current environment will build iNav for the F405se. It's based on the 2.5.2 release. The hex is attached here, but keep in mind it's totally untested.
Apr 09, 2021, 11:44 PM

BabyTri PID

Hi @jhendrix

Do you mind to share your PID ?
I'm struggling with my BabyTri + Betaflight 4.2.4 to adjust the PID.
I couldn't until now solve a little wag on the YAW, I tried to lower and increase everything and I can't solve this wag.
The best results I got until now is:

set p_pitch = 44
set i_pitch = 74
set d_pitch = 35
set f_pitch = 95
set p_roll = 45
set i_roll = 47
set d_roll = 31
set f_roll = 90
set p_yaw = 54
set i_yaw = 36
set d_yaw = 0
set f_yaw = 90

and

set p_pitch = 20
set i_pitch = 25
set d_pitch = 35
set f_pitch = 95
set p_roll = 20
set i_roll = 25
set d_roll = 35
set f_roll = 90
set p_yaw = 103
set i_yaw = 20
set d_yaw = 10
set f_yaw = 90

Are too different values with almost the same behaviors.

Best regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhendrix
Here are the parts / settings for my baby tricopter build

Frame: Baby Tricopter
Motors: EMAX RSII-2206 2300KV
Flight Controller: Holybro Kakute F4 V2
ESC: Tekko32 F3 40A 4-in-1
VTX: Atlatl HV V2
Servo: KST-DS215MG w/feedback wire added
Props: HQProp 5x4.3x3 V1S
3D tail parts:
Motor_Mnt_KSTDS215MG.stl
Imp_tilt_babytri_back_billyd.stl
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4657046
Baby Tri KST servo.stl
Board hookup:
Actuator / Pad / Comment - Direction
Motor 1 / M3 / tail - CCW
Motor 2 / M2 / front right - CCW
Motor 3 / M1 / front left - CW
Tail Servo / LED
Feedback / RSI / Servo feedback wire

Betaflight w/triflight
cli settings:
Code:
mixer TRI
feature TRIFLIGHT
resource SERVO 1 C08
resource LED_STRIP 1 NONE
set tri_servo_direction = REVERSE
Apr 10, 2021, 08:32 AM
Gravity is patient............
Thread OP
Is the wag constant or does it only show up in harder maneuvers?

I like to keep the following in mind when tuning. It helps me to see the logic of the settings.

P term tries to keep error = 0. Whatever direction the craft is told to go in, P will try to do that ASAP, and the higher the P the more urgency it will use. Too high of a P will cause over corrections and quick oscillations.

I term tries to keep the history of the error = 0. When driving down a road, I term will work to keep the car in the exact center of the lane with an eye in the rear view mirror. The higher I term gets, the harder it will hold the wheel. Too high of an I can cause delays in response and overly stiff flight.

D term tries to keep acceleration = 0. If the direction changes suddenly, a higher D term will work harder to dampen oscillations. But D puts more stress on the motors (or in the case of yaw in a tricopter, the tail servo) so too high of a D term can cause things to get hot or even damaged.

So if you have a constant slow wag in the tail, increase the P term. If your tail drifts out of position increase the I term. If your tail wags in hard stops try decreasing P or, try using some D term. I realize many say to leave D at zero for the tail, but I have found you often need some D to get the best tune. P and D work against each other somewhat. Sometimes to get the best performance, you may need to have P high enough to cause oscillations out of quick turn, and then you can add D to get rid of them. The trick is to not use so high of a D that it hurts the servo, or over loads its torque or speed capacity.
Last edited by billyd60; Apr 10, 2021 at 08:41 AM.
Apr 10, 2021, 12:28 PM
hi @billyd60

Really thanks for the explanation.
The wag is constant - is like be on a boat with some waves - around 1 degree or 2 maybe.
I can fly and do maneuvers, spins, loops and the response is good, but even with that the wag still there

I will try a little more really thanks
Apr 12, 2021, 08:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by juvinski
hi @billyd60

The wag is constant - is like be on a boat with some waves - around 1 degree or 2 maybe.
I can fly and do maneuvers, spins, loops and the response is good, but even with that the wag still there

Keep increasing P until you get fast oscillations in a hover. Then back off that number about 10 to 20%. Then try some hard stops and increase D until you don't get oscillations out of a hard turn or stop.

You can also add I term if the tricopter feels floaty or loose.
Apr 12, 2021, 08:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
hi @billyd60

The other thing that's important is to use RPM filtering if you can. Look that up on youtube. That is the best way to deal with any vibrations. Make sure your props are balanced too.
Apr 12, 2021, 08:59 AM
Floaty and loose is a good description of my TricopterLR. Or as David W calls tricopters, "Swooshy"
Apr 12, 2021, 10:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
Floaty and loose is a good description of my TricopterLR. Or as David W calls tricopters, "Swooshy"
True the quads will always outperform a tricopter in that respect. Tricopters fly more like an airplane and should be made to when tuning.
Apr 15, 2021, 01:38 AM
@juvinski
I just saw your post (work seems to get in the way of important things)
I have a little bit of wag on my tri, but way less than I was getting with inav (I'll take any improvement)
These are my pid settings

set p_pitch = 46
set i_pitch = 90
set d_pitch = 38
set f_pitch = 95
set p_roll = 42
set i_roll = 85
set d_roll = 35
set f_roll = 90
set p_yaw = 45
set i_yaw = 45
set d_yaw = 0
set f_yaw = 90

One thing I've noticed on the tricopter is you get lots of coupling between the axis(es?).
Since the servo is so much slower than the motor response, it's always lagging and the motors are responding due to the servo movement, which causes the servo to make more changes, etc.
Using the impossible tail tilt will help with the yaw changes due to the servo movement. With the stock tilts, the mass of the motor is moving in the direction that causes the tail to move in the opposite direction the controller wants it to.
Last edited by jhendrix; Apr 15, 2021 at 01:44 AM.
Apr 27, 2021, 12:58 PM
mutski
Quote:
hi @billyd60

I don't know if you have this solved by now, but I found this in another forum when I was trying to tune my Tri:

Wednesday,October 28, 2015, 08:25:50#20
Quote from: Revs on Monday,October 26, 2015, 11:35:52
Tail wag on a tri is usually due to the yaw I gain being too high. I';ve not used a Naze on a tri so I can';t recommend any particular setting, but just try dropping the gain and see if it helps.

I turned down my yaw I gain and that fixed the tail wag. In general, I've found the default iNav PIDs are way to high for the Tricopter LR. I did loops and rolls, and kept turning them down until there were no oscillations at the end of a maneuver. I wind up with lower PIDs than a lot of people, but it flies smoothly. I have two profiles in the attached Diff All file - the first is for a 3S 5000mah lipo. The second is for a 2600mah 4S lipo.
May 18, 2021, 09:33 AM
Thread OP
If you're struggling to get a tune and can't seem to get any pid setup to work, try a different prop size. Just remember to pick a prop that won't overload the motor or esc.
Jun 14, 2021, 07:15 PM
Hi @mutski,

thanks.

I still struggling with tail - I really go to 200 as P and even that I was having wagging.

Hi @jhendrix, thanks for your PID settings.

Hi @billyd60, I will check, thanks.
Jun 15, 2021, 11:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Hi @mutski,

thanks.

I still struggling with tail - I really go to 200 as P and even that I was having wagging.

Hi @jhendrix, thanks for your PID settings.

Hi @billyd60, I will check, thanks.
Try a smaller diameter prop with a similar pitch, so that rpms will be higher in a hover. That could make the tricopter easier to tune.

Quick Reply