Oct 23, 2020, 05:32 PM
This should be your impossible tilt for the baby tri.
Enjoy the build.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2020, 06:19 PM
If you don't need the navigation features of iNav I'd go with betaflight. Triflight can help tame the tail but it's not a substitute for your own tuning but a compliment to it.
Oct 24, 2020, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcooney1
This should be your impossible tilt for the baby tri.
Enjoy the build.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
If you don't need the navigation features of iNav I'd go with betaflight. Triflight can help tame the tail but it's not a substitute for your own tuning but a compliment to it.
Usually I'm a GPS junkie but in this case I'll be happy if it flies at all - it's more of an experiment to me, using some remains from other quads.

Seems I should go with BF then. However, I just found out that the BF defaults of the current version are nowhere near as universal as they used to be 2 years ago. This worries me a bit.

Back then I built everything from brushed micros to whoops to 5" quads and everything flew well on defaults. Since that time I didn't build or update anything BF. A few days ago I updated a Tinyhawk to the latest version and found it impossible to get it flying without massive oscillations, even after some adjustments. I went back to 3.5 in the end.

Just wondering if I'd have the same problems with BF on a tri, which wouldn't be the best starting point for this experiment. If it oscillates like hell, I wouldn't even know if it's tri-related or not.

Have there been recent updates to tri-specific features on BF? Maybe I should use an older version for that as well.
Oct 24, 2020, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 747TestPilot
I have a baby tri frame from BG, 3x 2205 motors with 5" 3-bladed props and an F405-CTR. Now I finally want to get around to building my first tricopter from that. Reading the most recent posts, I'm a bit confused - which software is currently best (= tri beginner friendly) for this small one?
Based on my recent experience I would say start with the Inav 2.5 hex for the Matek provided by Jihlein earlier in this thread. I have tried both that and Betaflight and I would say the flight characteristics of my MiniTri are (with my present tuning) considerably better in Betaflight than Inav, but the servo handling in Betaflight is terrible and very buggy. You have to muck about configuring your board's resources and if you get that wrong you could fry your servo. Inav correctly works out all the resource handling for you and you can use its configuration info to help set up Betaflight at a later date if you want to change over. It only takes a few minutes to save your settings and reflash with new firmware so you can bounce back and forth easily if you want to experiment, as long as you've got everything soldered to the board in the right places. Inav will help you get the soldering right.

IMO, whether you're a GPS junkie or not makes no real difference in the early stages with a new model. Start off simple. Turn off the GPS, the Mag, the Baro. These things are just more trees in the intimidating forest of settings. You don't even need the accelerometer to fly in simple Rate mode. And if it flies like pig with just the rate gyro then trying to mask that by using GPS and altitude hold and stuff is unlikely to produce a smiley face at the end of a flight. Rate mode first, then Angle, and only when these are right should you start enabling the fancy stuff.
Oct 24, 2020, 01:51 PM
I rebased the BetaFlight/Triflight build to 4.2.4. Got my mini tri out of storage and loaded it with the KakuteF7 target. It seems to behave on the bench so far, but I’ve got more setup work to do.

Anyone want to try it? I can easily make MatekF405 and KakuteF4V2 targets.

BTW, for a tricopter, servo 6 is correct for yaw. It has to do with how the internal mixing works, but it isn’t a bug, just strange.....

And if we’re going to talk BetaFlight, maybe a new thread is in order.
Oct 24, 2020, 02:29 PM
I'm definitely up for a try. I've done a bit more tweaking with 4.1 and its flying really nicely now.

Perhaps Billyd60 could say if you would like your thread to be for all things Triflight, or if you would like to keep it focused on Inav. I will start a new BF thread if it's the latter.
Oct 26, 2020, 09:55 AM
Gravity is patient............
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tean
I'm definitely up for a try. I've done a bit more tweaking with 4.1 and its flying really nicely now.

Perhaps Billyd60 could say if you would like your thread to be for all things Triflight, or if you would like to keep it focused on Inav. I will start a new BF thread if it's the latter.
I have changed the thread title to incorporate Betaflight, since both INAV and Betaflight can be used with Triflight and we can keep the tricopter family from splintering into separate factions lol.
Oct 26, 2020, 10:07 AM
I think that's the best way. There is lots of overlap and we're not exactly running to hundreds of pages here.
Oct 26, 2020, 11:10 AM
Well given that, here's a couple of targets for BetaFlight 4.2.4. I tried this over the weekend on a KakuteF7 in the RCE Mini Tri. Had some setup issues which I was finally able to resolve. Flight was less than stellar, yaw needs some serious help, but ran out of the good weather window. I don't think it's anything with the code, so it will be interesting what you guys find with the attached files.
Oct 26, 2020, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the targets. I'll try the Matek one when I get a chance, although the weather here is looking pants for the next week or so.

For what it's worth here's a dump of my 4.1.1 work in progress. The weather has confined me to tuning in a large shed so I've not been able try high punchouts and high speed flight yet but it feels really nice for throwing about close-in and accurate proximity flying.

I'm going to try Inav again. I can't really believe that Betaflight is this much better on the Mini Tri and it's entirely possible I just made a mess of tuning Inav. I'll wait for 2.6 to be available first though as I think it's imminent.
Oct 26, 2020, 03:16 PM
Gravity is patient............
Thread OP
I'm hopeful that Betaflight will add in a lot of the navigation capabilities of INAV in the future. Betaflight has a lot of nice improvements over INAV on the flight side of the equation. Be great if the two could merge all their best stuff.
Oct 26, 2020, 04:25 PM
Are you guys familiar with the BetaFlight unified targets? I’d like to move in that direction since there would only be one hex file required for the F405 boards for example. Then on first power up you load a config file which “personalizes” the code to the board. I’ve tried it, it’s pretty cool, and there is only one hex file to test. I’ve experimented with the unified target for F405, F411, and F745 based boards.
Oct 27, 2020, 01:38 AM
Did the wiring but i think i'll have to watch a video to know if i may have done it wrong
Oct 27, 2020, 03:07 PM
Unified targets? My knowledge of what goes on upstream of a hex file to download is shamefully thin. I have been reading up on how to make targets from source code. It seems fairly simple if a Linux computer is to hand. I've got a Linux laptop somewhere. Gonna dig it out and give it a go. Targets must be a real pain to developers with hundreds of different boards around now. I can understand the need to 'unify' things.

The wind abated here just before it got dark so I sneaked out for a couple of packs through the Mini Tri. And the results were very nice too. As you would maybe expect from upgrading to modern gear, the Mini is now much more civilised and refined. This is a good thing, but it's also a bit of a bad thing too. If you had a classic 1960s sports car would you want it to drive like a modern one? Maybe it's lost a little of its character but it's a whole lot more precise. Flips and rolls are much easier now, almost boringly easy and high speed flight has less tail wander. It is not quite so animal around my track now. The cornering is not so sharp and is much quieter. There's almost no screeching motor noise and it feels like it's not so fast but I think the extra precision would make for similar lap times. And it's great to have a decent OSD with battery info and proper Crossfire LQ. And once I enable the GPS I'll have rescue mode which will make me feel more comfortable venturing further afield.
So all in all a very worthwhile upgrade which I'm going to continue to tweek, and then I'm going to try Inav again.
Thanks again to Jihlein for providing the hex files and keeping the Triflight project alive and available in these latest versions.
Oct 28, 2020, 03:49 AM
Hello there,
I learned about this thread in FB and here I am. After a longer pause with copters (some 5 years) I came back to realise (too) the windestal-shop is closed. I bought a Tri-LR Frame from BG - just to realise it is smaller... well - I am now in the process of finding a suitable FC. I want to do sporty flying with RTH, want to use INAV.
Right now I am close to buy a Matek F722 SE.
I did a lot of stuff with a tri back then, also built a small series of Windestal-style tri as social Project in a day-care center for people with psychic disorders. It was called "Edward the 2nd". Everything with KK board, did a lot of Videos with it. My playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CTq4RvQ7_0gHuF
Last edited by KaffiFlight; Oct 28, 2020 at 03:55 AM.

Quick Reply