Thread Tools
Feb 14, 2020, 10:12 AM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Just a question ...
I've been flying Taranis since they came to the US in 2013. For sure the first generation was rough, but each model has improved. I build electronic systems for a living and I don't see anything inside a late model Taranis or Xlite Pro that bothers me.

So what exactly are you seeing that bothers you about the build quality?
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2020, 10:17 AM
Build and Fly
ibnjmn's Avatar
Wasn't the Horus line supposed to be FrSky's premium-quality offering? You don't see those around too much, I'd guess because of the price. It appears you can still install OpenTX on a Horus.

I've never had anything nicer than the X-Lite - I started on a Turnigy 9X and moved to Taranis, so it seemed like a huge step up from where I started!
Feb 14, 2020, 10:27 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
Just a question ...
I've been flying Taranis since they came to the US in 2013. For sure the first generation was rough, but each model has improved. I build electronic systems for a living and I don't see anything inside a late model Taranis or Xlite Pro that bothers me.

So what exactly are you seeing that bothers you about the build quality?
Itís more of a feel thing than anything, Mickey. Iíve been flying top end radios from a few of the major brands out there for years now. I guess Iím spoiled by the way they feel in my hands. My current DX18, by comparison is a good example. The Taranis just has a plastic feel.... Not sure how else to put it. Tighter feeling gimbals with stiffer springs would go a long way.
That said, I intend to fly the Taranis in at least one DLG this year. If I like it, Iíll switch the others. I really like the size of their receivers compared to Spektrum....and I also think Iíll like Jesperís program which I think is somewhat based on the early OpenTX programming you did.

BTW, I went to Jacks house yesterday and saw the big clock you built for us. Very cool!
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Feb 14, 2020, 11:25 AM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
Itís more of a feel thing than anything, Mickey. Iíve been flying top end radios from a few of the major brands out there for years now. I guess Iím spoiled by the way they feel in my hands. My current DX18, by comparison is a good example. The Taranis just has a plastic feel.... Not sure how else to put it. Tighter feeling gimbals with stiffer springs would go a long way.
That said, I intend to fly the Taranis in at least one DLG this year. If I like it, Iíll switch the others. I really like the size of their receivers compared to Spektrum....and I also think Iíll like Jesperís program which I think is somewhat based on the early OpenTX programming you did.

BTW, I went to Jacks house yesterday and saw the big clock you built for us. Very cool!
Thanks, but to be fair you are comparing a $200 transmitter to a $700 transmitter.
Also I put Taranis electronics in a 9303 case. I left one of the JR gimbals in and put one Taranis hall effect gimbal in. People who tried to guess which was which were no better than random guess. There is a lot of emotion and observation bias with radios.

Glad you like the clock.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Feb 14, 2020, 11:33 AM
Registered User
I like you idea, Mickey.

I am smiling just imagining people closing their eyes trying to figure out what you did with 2 JR/Taranis with mismatch gimbals (left?right? Mode1/2/3/4? :-)

This post made my Friday...

Tai
Feb 14, 2020, 11:33 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
Thanks, but to be fair you are comparing a $200 transmitter to a $700 transmitter.
I know. That’s why I said, “if they would make a nicer TX I’d happily pay more money for it”. But for what it’s worth, I bought my DX18 used for $250 so from my perspective, they are pretty comparable. Anyway, I have a Taranis now and I suspect I’ll like it in the end.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Feb 14, 2020, 11:39 AM
ThomasLee's Avatar
The x10s radios are extremely well built... as good as anything else I’ve gotten my hands on with the exception of Jeti radios.
I had to add a 3D printed thumb “hook” to make sure I can grip it strong though.
Feb 14, 2020, 11:52 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
For whatever reason, the x10s doesn’t appeal to me. It doesn’t look comfortable. The Taranis, however is comfortable in my hands. The little x lite is too small for my hands.

Question: This new 2019 version of the Taranis does have their best gimbals in it already, right?
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Feb 14, 2020, 12:16 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
I went ahead and put the Taranis and DX18 in my lap at the same time. To be honest, the Taranis felt a lot better by comparison to the DX18 than I thought it would. There is a little play around center on the Taranis gimbals that the DX18 doesn’t have but it’s not a huge difference. The sticks themselves on the DX18 are nicer feeling. The DX18 has its sliders recessed into the top corners of the case. That’s a big comfort difference, in my opinion. The DX18 also has rubber sides and grips on the back that feel really good to me. I also like the ridged antenna on the DX 18 better. The Taranis antenna feels like it’s about to break.

So with a little thought to comfort the people at FrSky could easily make the Taranis feel like a better quality radio. And in this game perception IS reality. All that said, the Taranis is a heck of a nice radio for the price.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Feb 14, 2020, 12:26 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
I moved the momentary toggle from the right back corner to the left for my launch preset. That’s not bad, but I think id like it even better if it were on the front left corner. Then as I let go of the switch for launch my finger wouldn’t swipe over the slider and it wouldn’t hit the front toggle. The thing is ideally I’d want a short momentary toggle on the front and a long three position toggle on the rear..... and I’d have to run the wires from the board on the rear to the front and visa versa. I think I’ll do that.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Feb 14, 2020, 12:29 PM
Registered User
The stock 2019 version still has standard gimbals in them.

You can still put the M9 gimbals in, which the SE version of the Taranis already comes with. I always said the upgraded gimbals were all in people’s head when it comes to feeling better but I think they actually do. I think the spring go stronger a touch (I like strong springs) and I think they just feel all round ‘tighter’ and crisper feeling than stock.

I still like the stock gimbals though, even in my pre 2019 version Taranis, they are still smoother than ones in the brand new DX9 radios I’ve ever had. All of the new spekky radios I’ve had the gimbals have binded slightly at full up right stick, I never knew what caused it but every radio was the same.

I used to what you would call a ‘fanboy’ of Spektrum, but now I’ve got used to the Frsky radios I honestly don’t think id use anything else or go back even if someone paid me.
Last edited by i_am_mark_evans; Feb 14, 2020 at 12:37 PM.
Feb 14, 2020, 12:52 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
For whatever reason, the x10s doesn’t appeal to me. It doesn’t look comfortable. The Taranis, however is comfortable in my hands. The little x lite is too small for my hands.

Question: This new 2019 version of the Taranis does have their best gimbals in it already, right?
No, not unless you get the Special Edition or put the M9's in yourself.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Feb 14, 2020, 01:06 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
I didn’t get that one. Wish I had.... oh well. I ordered the gimbals.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Feb 14, 2020, 01:38 PM
Registered User
eitanro's Avatar
The X10S size is huge! Doesn't feel comfortable in my small hands, but the build quality is not but at all.
The second and bigger problem that I see using the X10S is that it running the firmware from an SD card and from an internal memory, SD cards tend to sh%t the bed from time to time, so imagine it will happen during a contest..

Eitan
Feb 14, 2020, 01:58 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
Make a couple copies of your card and keep in in your radio box. Perceived problem solved...
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Recommend a 1.5m DLG for an intermediate pilot? Ben74 Hand Launch 13 Jan 13, 2020 01:04 AM
Discussion Looking for a new Transmitter (Futaba?)Need a recommendation on a DO all transmitter. cswann821 Radios 30 Apr 19, 2019 04:34 PM
Discussion Recommended "next" DLG after flying the Eflite Whipit? philthyy Hand Launch 17 Mar 02, 2019 10:33 AM
Discussion Recommended Transmitter Tray Dave Willis FPV Equipment 0 Mar 12, 2017 06:12 PM
Discussion Cheap Transmitter Recommendations? scottyob FPV Equipment 0 May 31, 2016 08:36 AM