Feb 13, 2020, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidRoberts
As soon as you crack the case, that’s it for the cause as far as liability goes. But we all do it.

I do think quality control is an issue with Taranis. My buddy had to ship his new X9D+ back due to intermittent RSSI problems.

What is the return rate on FrSky?
Well that sucks... I've opened the case for my old Futaba to change switches several time (and Graupner just to see the inside) and never ever I've had any problems.
When chose chose a new radio system after my Futaba was stolen 2+ years ago, the only reason I didn't consider Taranis is the build quality, and I'm not sorry for that decision despite the fact that Graupner are going down...

Eitan
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2020, 12:19 PM
Thatís a bummer! Hope it gets resolved. Iíll make sure to check my backup Taranis that just arrived yesterday.
Feb 13, 2020, 12:35 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eitanro
Well that sucks... I've opened the case for my old Futaba to change switches several time (and Graupner just to see the inside) and never ever I've had any problems.
When chose chose a new radio system after my Futaba was stolen 2+ years ago, the only reason I didn't consider Taranis is the build quality, and I'm not sorry for that decision despite the fact that Graupner are going down...

Eitan
I've had the back of both of my DX18's. I put on stiffer springs and relocated the push button to corner. No problems what so ever.
The current Taranis certainly doesnt have the feel of a DX18 but it doesnt seem poorly made. There sure are a lot of top pilots flying them. I just seem to be plagued with bad luck with them. That's not a comforting thought, now that I think about it....
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Feb 13, 2020, 02:06 PM
I’ve had....
2x x9d+
2x q7
2x x10s
2x xlite (regular)

Have opened them all up to change stuff, add buttons, re-wire, etc.... never had a problem except for my current main xlite which has developed a couple lines of dead pixels. Haven’t bothered to do anything about it.

Would take a lot to get me to move away from FrSky. I’m not sponsored, and actually left a sponsorship to use them.
Feb 13, 2020, 02:28 PM
Hi Mike,

What battery was it?
Feb 13, 2020, 04:02 PM
Time for me to Fly...
2 cell 2100 mah Tattu LiPo.
Feb 13, 2020, 04:04 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Btw, the offered to fix at at the rate of $40/hr. That seems fair considering that I voided they warranty when I opened the case. I’ll be sending it in.
Feb 13, 2020, 04:36 PM
I’ve been lucky and had good experiences with the Taranis and it’s quality. I went back and forth a few time between it and Spektrum when I was uncertain what I was gonna use but they have all been good. In fact I find the stock gimbals feel better than the ones in the DX9 I ever had. And the ACCESS SE version I had with the M9 gimbals and in the carbon effect was really nice. Once Frsky release the 6ch Archer rx I’ll swap back to one from the standard ACCST X9D+ I currently have.
Feb 13, 2020, 05:29 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Just a quick update here. The guy from FrSky service was helpful. He asked me to double check the ribbon cable between the front and back halves of the radio to see if it was seated properly. It had indeed come half way out. Once it was put in properly, the radio came back to life. I thought it was important to say that here in this thread after my comment above.
Feb 13, 2020, 05:35 PM
Nice
Feb 13, 2020, 06:57 PM
Glad it’s resolved
Feb 13, 2020, 06:59 PM
And if anyone is after a Frsky radio and your local dealer is out of stock, ask Thomas nicely and he might sell you one of his lol.
Feb 13, 2020, 10:04 PM
Good to hear that it was al sorted out.

Don't get me wrong about radios - OpenTX and FrSky receiver are the best thing ever, but the tx build quality is just not there... I'm one of those who buy something and stick to it for a decade (I would still had my "old" Futaba if it wasn't stolen).
Today though, I am starting to look at other things like Crossfire technology
Feb 14, 2020, 02:03 AM
Time for me to Fly...
I’d like to be happy enough to stick with a radio for ten years. I did that with my JR 10x and my Airtronics SD-10g but I haven’t been happy enough with anything since SD-10 to stay with it very long. I agree about the build quality of the Taranis. If they would make a better quality TX, I’d happily pay more for it.
Feb 14, 2020, 07:51 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Still flying my SD-10GS since I know it like the back of my hand. Just modded the launch switch to on-off-mom to get all my flight modes on top left switches. I wouldn't even look at other brands were it not for the lure of telemetry, particularly voltage.

Lost a brand new plane three years ago due to a bad battery checker that told me my flight battery was fully charged when in reality it was at storage voltage. Now I have a Graupner and a Taranis but am not yet comfortable with the Graupner programming and the Taranis seems to be from Mars.

I expect that someday I'll get there but it will probably be awhile. Maybe the Atx will have to die in order to force me to move over all the way.

Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal

Quick Reply