Feb 11, 2020, 08:59 PM
Jesper Frickmann
If you want to try SoarOTX, please read the instructions carefully before you start:
https://github.com/jfrickmann/SoarOTX/wiki/Installation
That should hopefully get you throwing the plane rather than your radio first
Thanks to all who recommended SoarOTX for your kind words!

Jesper
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2020, 10:14 PM
If youíre planning to switch to Taranis or other OpenTX transmitter, Iíd strongly recommend you either 1. Use someone elseís trusted program and stick with the instructions and prescribed use OR 2. be very thorough and careful when programming yourself, and never fly until you understand why it works AND only after youíve fully tested things on the ground to eliminate any disastrous corner cases. Being anywhere in between 1 and 2 is asking for trouble! Iím no expert, and just learned how to program it the last month and consider myself lucky to have avoided disaster I love it now. It is fun and you can do pretty much anything!

Jesperís program sounds pretty cool. I hope to try it soon out of curiosity, especially the score keeping function.
Feb 12, 2020, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCube
If youíre planning to switch to Taranis or other OpenTX transmitter, Iíd strongly recommend you either 1. Use someone elseís trusted program and stick with the instructions and prescribed use OR 2. be very thorough and careful when programming yourself, and never fly until you understand why it works AND only after youíve fully tested things on the ground to eliminate any disastrous corner cases. Being anywhere in between 1 and 2 is asking for trouble! Iím no expert, and just learned how to program it the last month and consider myself lucky to have avoided disaster I love it now. It is fun and you can do pretty much anything!
second that...
I teached myself to program a taranis last month...
It's not that hard... there's a ton of information on the internet and on youtube and lots of examples...
Just take your time to understand everything and test, test, test before flying a real glider...
I just have some basic knowledge of general programming, but that was enough to understand how it works and to use it in a taranis...
I've completely programmed my taranis without others help (internet was my friend)...

I'm still improving my program by watching youtube films about the taranis, or by flying my own DLG and feeling the need for new features.

Yes, if you're in a hurry you will have accidents :-)...

nayy
Feb 12, 2020, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin' Eagle
I know this is a huge can of worms, but my trusty JR 9303 with Frsky module bit the dust, and I need another transmitter. I use a Hitec Aurora 9x for all my other planes, but Hitec doesn't seem to make any really small, really good receivers suitable for DLG. I have been happy with the Frksy stuff but I tried to help a buddy set up a Taranis transmitter and I wanted to chuck it across the room after 3 hours of fiddling.

What's a good choice for DLG? Altitude telemetry would be a big plus.

Thanks!
Dominic
Since buying it, I cannot praise the Taranis X9D Plus SE 2019 along with the G-RX6 receiver Screamin' Eagle. Relatively small and light TX unit; the receiver has a built in vario and is as small has you could wish for . A great bang for buck system imho.

Links for specs :
https://www.t9hobbysport.com/taranis...hz-transmitter
https://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-g-rx6-receiver

Good luck

Marc
Feb 12, 2020, 03:02 PM
Without meaning to hijack, has, or does anyone fly dlg on the the lower end Spektrum radios, the DX6 Gen 3 for instance?
Feb 12, 2020, 09:10 PM
Just saw this announcement, very very sad day...

https://www.graupnerusa.com/Graupner...es_b_1021.html
Feb 12, 2020, 11:44 PM
Wayne Wimbish
Looks like I need another GR-16 or GR-16L receiver before they're gone.

Anybody got one? Preferably new. Please PM me.

Thanks,
Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Feb 13, 2020, 06:49 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
Ok then Iíll re-type what wanted to say, get a Taranis, and put Jespers program on it.
A radio isn't any good unless you can program it yourself.
Feb 13, 2020, 08:26 AM
If I can learn to program a Taranis then anyone can lol.
Feb 13, 2020, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
If I can learn to program a Taranis then anyone can lol.
Thatís how I feel.

The sad news about Graupner USA above is, indirectly, why I made the switch to full on FrSky.

R/C soaring in the US is under assault with the 400íagl restriction and now the pending Remote ID requirement. BUT I AINíT QUITTING and, somehow, I think weíll win. But prudent vendors are going to start packing up shop here in the US. Sales are going to decline.

So....what radio system is likely to survive? My answer is FrSky. That means I had to take a deep breath and dive in. Iím glad I did.
Feb 13, 2020, 09:51 AM
Time for me to Fly...
My brand new Taranis won’t power up today. I checked the battery by plugging it into my DX18. The battery is fine. This is the second one I’ve owned and it’s the second time I’ve had problems with a Taranis AND I’ve never flown one.... Now to be fair, I moved some switches and tightened the springs. I suppose it’s possible I messed something up but I’ve made little modifications like those many times over the years. I’m always very careful when I take the back off of a radio. At this point, have no confidence at all with my new radio. I’m going back to the DX18 for now.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Feb 13, 2020, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
My brand new Taranis wonít power up today. I checked the battery by plugging it into my DX18. The battery is fine. This is the second one Iíve owned and itís the second time Iíve had problems with a Taranis AND Iíve never flown one.... Now to be fair, I moved some switches and tightened the springs. I suppose itís possible I messed something up but Iíve made little modifications like those many times over the years. Iím always very careful when I take the back off of a radio. At this point, have no confidence at all with my new radio. Iím going back to the DX18 for now.
As soon as you crack the case, thatís it for the cause as far as liability goes. But we all do it.

I do think quality control is an issue with Taranis. My buddy had to ship his new X9D+ back due to intermittent RSSI problems.

What is the return rate on FrSky?
Feb 13, 2020, 10:39 AM
Time for me to Fly...
I don't even know where to send it??? I'm kinda bummed because I really wanted to try Jesper's program....
Feb 13, 2020, 10:42 AM
Build and Fly
Here, if they'll still work on it.

https://www.frsky-rc.com/service-center/
Feb 13, 2020, 11:18 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Thanks!
I sent them an e-mail requesting and RMA. We'll see what happens.

Quick Reply