Feb 05, 2020, 02:52 PM
Build and Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprzout
ergonomics are a personal thing.
Very true. I got an X-Lite and never looked back. I never realized just how much I was reaching to get full stick travel on my X9D until I switched. It actually feels kind of huge if you were already used to video game controllers! All of the switches and gimbals feel nicer on the X-Lite than on my X9D, but the X9D doesn't have hall-effect gimbals. A couple of the switches are pretty darn stubby, though.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2020, 03:11 PM
Wayne Wimbish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin' Eagle
Hilarious!! It's a Concept CX-4. Built with four servos in the pod. Right now it has a tiny 4 channel Frsky Rx in it that barely fits. No chance of getting an Optima 9 in there, but I can probably squeeze in a Hitec Minima of some kind.
With 4NP I am assuming that there is not room behind the servos for an Optima 9 rx. As you say a Minima might fit.

Other options are to find another 9303 tx in the radio forum, saw several ads not marked sold yet. Might your module also work in a 9503 tx?

If none of the above are viable then getting a FrSky tx may be your only other option without buying a whole new system. The older Taranis X9D tx has just about the same feel in your hands as the 9303. (I think it is the same case design.) There are newer options out there now that also use the same case.

If you are already invested in the older FrSky protocol then upgrading everything to the Access protocol may not make sense. In any event, I would suggest either haunting the radio 4sale forum, and/or placing a want ad, or checking out what is currently available from Aloft.

Good luck,
Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Feb 05, 2020, 04:06 PM
spender of too much $$$
has any one used the x-lite s for dlg? would it be easy to set up for dlg?
i have an x9d, a xp9303, wonder if the x-lite s would be better?
Feb 05, 2020, 05:21 PM
Dominic,

I just switched from the exact same setup: a trusty old ‘05 sailplane edition JR9303 with a FrSky DJT module. My JR is working fine but I’ve promised it to a new member.

I second the suggestion from Mark to install Jesper Frickmann’s programs on your Taranis. That’s what I did and they work great.

Yes....I did want to jettison the Taranis a couple times. A couple friends said to keep going.

I finally got there and the bottom line is: it just isn’t that hard. After the initial frustration, it’s even been fun looking under the hood of OpenTX.

Use the G-RX6 receiver for DLG and the G-RX8 for everything else and you’ve got voltage, signal strength, altitude and vario all in very small, $40.00 receivers.

Reid
Feb 05, 2020, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thugsfpv
I use the x- lite with jespers excellent DLG program- for me its awesome. Itís so lite and small to hold in one hand while throwing. Has all the features you could want!
I added a spring loaded momentary switch for launch- from aloft hobbies .
If you buy the pro version x- lite it already has a momentary button ready to go.

I own a x9d and a qx7 but found the xlite to be my favorite.

Jack
Feb 06, 2020, 08:10 AM
spender of too much $$$
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackspt28
I use the x- lite with jespers excellent DLG program- for me its awesome. Itís so lite and small to hold in one hand while throwing. Has all the features you could want!
I added a spring loaded momentary switch for launch- from aloft hobbies .
If you buy the pro version x- lite it already has a momentary button ready to go.

I own a x9d and a qx7 but found the xlite to be my favorite.

Jack
thanks i will look into an x-lite also.
Feb 06, 2020, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprzout
Is Graupner still operating? I saw that they had filed for bankruptcy in Nov. of 2019. They're great radios, but this is the 2nd bankruptcy they've filed since 2012, and I have to wonder if they'll still have equipment that is usable in a year.

And I understand what you mean about the ergonomics of the x-lite. I didn't like the feel of it when I got my hands on it at AMA Expo West - it felt too much like a video game controller and didn't feel as smooth on the controls to me. Maybe it's better for a younger pilot with smaller hands, but I myself prefer the more traditional transmitter shape - ergonomics are a personal thing.
They are still there... I'm not aware that they have filed a bankruptcy, from what I know they are still making radios and support their product
Feb 07, 2020, 11:29 AM
FIN-5414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thugsfpv
I switched from MPX Royal to XLite in 2018 and was stunned about the handy size and as many functions as you needed. Also the receivers are so tiny you can fit them als it anywhere. Now Iíve got a XLite Pro with Access protocol (an second one should arrive any day) and am looking forward to the next season!

Out of curiosity I tried Royal again some weeks ago....no way Iím going back!
Feb 07, 2020, 11:33 AM
FIN-5414
Quote:
Originally Posted by eitanro
They are still there... I'm not aware that they have filed a bankruptcy, from what I know they are still making radios and support their product
To clarify: Graupner/SJ will not deliver anything to Germany anymore and since 5ey donít have anything to sell Graupner Germany filed bankruptcy. I guess Graupner/SJ remains.

>m
Feb 07, 2020, 01:44 PM
spender of too much $$$
i ordered the x-lite s, i have the qx7 and x9d se,
i have the 9303 but never used it
thanks
Feb 07, 2020, 01:44 PM
DS Junkie
Thread OP
Thank you everyone, especially Wayne and Reid.

Yes, part of my hesitation with Taranis/X lite other than the Open Tx system is that I have the older Frsky receivers which won't work with it. You're talking to a guy who hung on to 72 mhz for ages after 2.4 ghz came out. With everyone switched over already, I had no issues with frequency conflicts!

Reid - your info was exactly what I needed. Will all those telemetry functions work with the X-lite though?
Feb 07, 2020, 01:52 PM
Build and Fly
If you get the old, original X-Lite, it should talk to the older receivers. You lose the builtin momentary switch and USB charging, though, and you might have a harder time finding one. You can also get a universal module for X-Lite, but I'd want to heavily range-test it before trusting my DLG to it, though.

Everything on the X-Lite is fully functional compared to the bigger Taranis models. It's just all smaller, and there are fewer physical switches.
Feb 07, 2020, 02:05 PM
DS Junkie
Thread OP
Every time I go down this road I get confused.

X-Lite Pro and GRX-6/GRX-8 work fine together, right? And then I download Jesper's program and am good to go.

I remember something about the earlier x-lites needing an external tx antenna for full range. Am I imagining that?
Feb 07, 2020, 02:19 PM
Build and Fly
Yes, those are compatible, whether you use ACCST or upgrade the receivers to ACCESS.

I know some swear by the 'T' antenna, but I have the original X-Lite with only the internal antenna, and have never had signal problems unless my plane is on the ground, behind a hill, out of view.

I've never loaded a program such as Jesper's, but it sounds pretty easy.

FYI, batteries not included.
Feb 11, 2020, 03:54 PM
DS Junkie
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus
Dom

I've been using these receivers on my DLGs running a 1S Lipo (900-1200 mah round cell).

They don't have telemetry tho

Minima 6L - 6-Channel Micro Receiver

https://hitecrcd.com/products/aircra...ima-6l/product

No issues with range to battery life.

If you are having issues with the Taranis get a hold of Chuck Norris. Here in San Diego

Ray
Ray, I got in the Rx last night and promptly de-cased it. Smaller than my 4 channel Frsky! I'm going to miss the voltage telemetry, but installation was a breeze. Plus the antennas don't have the bulky boosters on them. Thanks!

Quick Reply