Feb 04, 2020, 04:03 PM
DS Junkie
Thread OP
Discussion

DLG Transmitter Recommendations

I know this is a huge can of worms, but my trusty JR 9303 with Frsky module bit the dust, and I need another transmitter. I use a Hitec Aurora 9x for all my other planes, but Hitec doesn't seem to make any really small, really good receivers suitable for DLG. I have been happy with the Frksy stuff but I tried to help a buddy set up a Taranis transmitter and I wanted to chuck it across the room after 3 hours of fiddling.

What's a good choice for DLG? Altitude telemetry would be a big plus.

Thanks!
Dominic
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2020, 04:24 PM
Ryan Gonsoulin
Futaba 16SZ would be my choice.
Feb 04, 2020, 04:52 PM
Dom

I've been using these receivers on my DLGs running a 1S Lipo (900-1200 mah round cell).

They don't have telemetry tho

Minima 6L - 6-Channel Micro Receiver

https://hitecrcd.com/products/aircra...ima-6l/product

No issues with range to battery life.

If you are having issues with the Taranis get a hold of Chuck Norris. Here in San Diego

Ray
Feb 04, 2020, 05:07 PM
DS Junkie
Thread OP
Thank you Ray - I was looking at those as well. Appreciate it!
Feb 04, 2020, 05:11 PM
Just put Jespers program on your Taranis. Super easy to set up.
Feb 04, 2020, 05:39 PM
Wayne Wimbish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin' Eagle
I have been happy with the Frksy stuff but I tried to help a buddy set up a Taranis transmitter and I wanted to chuck him across the room after 3 hours of fiddling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
Just put Jespers program on your Taranis. Super easy to set up.
He doesn't have a Taranis. His friend did, and now his friend has been thrown across the room in frustration. I don't see a Taranis in his future.

Meanwhile back to the OP. I have a friend who flies an Optima 9 rx in his Vortex 3. I think it will work in most planes if decased and shrink tube covered.

What plane are you trying to put this in?

Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Feb 04, 2020, 06:45 PM
Ok then I’ll re-type what wanted to say, get a Taranis, and put Jespers program on it.
Feb 05, 2020, 07:19 AM
FIN-5414
I copy that: get X-Lite (pro or classic) and either SoarOTX or JustFly.
Feb 05, 2020, 08:27 AM
If I would have been choosing today, I would consider one out of two - Graupner or Taranis
Graupner - has an amazing build quality, all the knobs/switches and sticks are top quality (in face the best I've seen far), the software is very flexible and allows to do many many things fairly easy once you get used to it (any RC software requires getting used to)
Taranis - their receivers are the best! tiny and reliable, the software is the most flexible and capable of them all, but it's build quality is pretty bad, if you replace the gimbals to high quality gimbals (hall effect gimbals), that will make it a very good choice.

Personally, I would go for the Xlite, it is to small (and I have small hands...), the screen is tiny and doesn't feel good in my hands (perhaps a matter of getting used to it).

Eitan
Feb 05, 2020, 12:03 PM
DS Junkie
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwimbish
He doesn't have a Taranis. His friend did, and now his friend has been thrown across the room in frustration. I don't see a Taranis in his future.

Meanwhile back to the OP. I have a friend who flies an Optima 9 rx in his Vortex 3. I think it will work in most planes if decased and shrink tube covered.

What plane are you trying to put this in?

Wayne
Hilarious!! It's a Concept CX-4. Built with four servos in the pod. Right now it has a tiny 4 channel Frsky Rx in it that barely fits. No chance of getting an Optima 9 in there, but I can probably squeeze in a Hitec Minima of some kind.
Feb 05, 2020, 01:45 PM
Build and Fly
If you're already used to using a FrSky module, why not just move it to the TX of your choice? I thought those modules were fairly universal.
Feb 05, 2020, 01:46 PM
DS Junkie
Thread OP
The module I have is specific to the JR 9303 -
Dominic
Feb 05, 2020, 02:13 PM
Build and Fly
Oh, well, it was worth a shot. Apparently there used to be a Hitec-compatible module. I think even if you found one, it might not be compatible with X-series receivers.

https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/dft-2/

There's always the classifieds.
Feb 05, 2020, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eitanro
If I would have been choosing today, I would consider one out of two - Graupner or Taranis
Graupner - has an amazing build quality, all the knobs/switches and sticks are top quality (in face the best I've seen far), the software is very flexible and allows to do many many things fairly easy once you get used to it (any RC software requires getting used to)
Taranis - their receivers are the best! tiny and reliable, the software is the most flexible and capable of them all, but it's build quality is pretty bad, if you replace the gimbals to high quality gimbals (hall effect gimbals), that will make it a very good choice.

Personally, I would go for the Xlite, it is to small (and I have small hands...), the screen is tiny and doesn't feel good in my hands (perhaps a matter of getting used to it).

Eitan
Is Graupner still operating? I saw that they had filed for bankruptcy in Nov. of 2019. They're great radios, but this is the 2nd bankruptcy they've filed since 2012, and I have to wonder if they'll still have equipment that is usable in a year.

And I understand what you mean about the ergonomics of the x-lite. I didn't like the feel of it when I got my hands on it at AMA Expo West - it felt too much like a video game controller and didn't feel as smooth on the controls to me. Maybe it's better for a younger pilot with smaller hands, but I myself prefer the more traditional transmitter shape - ergonomics are a personal thing.
Feb 05, 2020, 02:37 PM
I vote for a Taranis, too. It is up to you, if you go for a X7(S), X9 or a X-Lite. An then you choose SoarOTX and just go flying.

Quick Reply