Mar 28, 2005, 10:33 AM

How to get a smooth finish on foam?

I would like to have a smooth surface on my GWS foam planes. I have read about a few methods including covering with iron-on monocoat type material or glassing with fiberglass and Minwax. Both methods also offer strength enhancements. However, I use carbon fiber internally to add strength - therefore added weight of the above methods is not desireable.

What other method is there to fill in the foam texture to allow a nice smooth paint finish?

Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2005, 11:23 AM
Have a look at the latest Concrusher thread. There is a post in there (last couple of pages) which describes using carbon fiber tissue with a mixture of water/welbond glue (basically white glue). Sounds promising...

Edit:
Here it is... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=138
Mar 28, 2005, 12:01 PM
i just got done with a gws p-51,i used foam putty for train layouts,works very well and it is very lite.then i also added a few drops of water and painted it on,then just sand smooth with 320 or 400 grit.working in a hobby store i've tried many things,but the foam putty worked the best.
Mar 28, 2005, 03:23 PM
Tony

Do you have a specific foam putty product name and manufacturer?