Feb 04, 2020, 10:09 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Polycrlyic or WBPU availability in the UK

What do the uk users use as a substitute for Polycrlyic that I can get in the UK, that isn't in a 2 litre can, and available in the likes of Wikes, B&q, etc. I really don't want to be buying lots of different varnishes to see what works. Rather spend money on the hardware for plane building than testing products.

Simon.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2020, 02:30 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
I have previously used Ronseal Diamond Hard Varnish, the clear satin finish.

Didn't realize just how expensive those big cans are.

I did find a B&Q own brand online - B&Q Clear Satin Interior varnish 0.25L - it does say 'water based'.

Ray.
Feb 04, 2020, 03:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
I have previously used Ronseal Diamond Hard Varnish, the clear satin finish.

Didn't realize just how expensive those big cans are.

I did find a B&Q own brand online - B&Q Clear Satin Interior varnish 0.25L - it does say 'water based'.

Ray.
Thanks, unusually my local branch of B&Q were all out of thier own brand so could not look at it.

Also, even though it said on line they had the white 6mm foam for underlay for laminate floors they only had the green. I wanted to compair them, but when I asked, I just got staired at as though I was from a different planet..

Simon
Feb 04, 2020, 03:50 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandySimon
Thanks, unusually my local branch of B&Q were all out of thier own brand so could not look at it.

Also, even though it said on line they had the white 6mm foam for underlay for laminate floors they only had the green. I wanted to compair them, but when I asked, I just got staired at as though I was from a different planet..

Simon
My local store keeps the white stuff with the insulation products, might be worth looking...
Feb 05, 2020, 06:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank48
My local store keeps the white stuff with the insulation products, might be worth looking...
Thanks found it today, and picked some up when I went in to get varnish. Was at the other side of the shop from the green stuff.

Been experimenting with glue and paper coverings. Got gorilla wood glue (3.99 b&q, 118ml), and home bargains wood glue (Everbuild 501, 1.19, 250ml). Also got news paper, B&M art paper (oddly 38cm by 75') and some poundland brown paper. Experiment time before I order some tight bond I I that's recommended on the paper covering thread but expensive here. But so far only tried B&m glue and the brown and art paper. Impressed with the art paper.

When my sensitive scales turn up I can do some proper quantitive tests.

Simon
Feb 06, 2020, 03:10 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
The only thing to remember is, anything you add is weight.

Adding lightness involves holes.

Ray.
Feb 06, 2020, 10:41 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandySimon
Thanks found it today, and picked some up when I went in to get varnish. Was at the other side of the shop from the green stuff.

Been experimenting with glue and paper coverings. Got gorilla wood glue (3.99 b&q, 118ml), and home bargains wood glue (Everbuild 501, 1.19, 250ml). Also got news paper, B&M art paper (oddly 38cm by 75') and some poundland brown paper. Experiment time before I order some tight bond I I that's recommended on the paper covering thread but expensive here. But so far only tried B&m glue and the brown and art paper. Impressed with the art paper.

When my sensitive scales turn up I can do some proper quantitive tests.

Simon
If you're on good terms with the local fish n chip shop you might be able to scrounge some of their nice white wrapping paper

For gluing depron to depron or wood or pretty much anything I like to use a PU adhesive. The trick is to use very sparingly as it foams up a bit
Reasonably priced at Toolstation or Screwfix

https://www.toolstation.com/5-minute...lue-gel/p78519
Feb 06, 2020, 11:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
If you're on good terms with the local fish n chip shop you might be able to scrounge some of their nice white wrapping paper

For gluing depron to depron or wood or pretty much anything I like to use a PU adhesive. The trick is to use very sparingly as it foams up a bit
Reasonably priced at Toolstation or Screwfix

https://www.toolstation.com/5-minute...lue-gel/p78519
Not thought of the chip shop paper, will have to go pick myself up a fish supper as I have not checked out the one up the road from the better half:-)
That's also a good price on the PU, and I will bear that in mind when I run out of gorrila glue (My PU, not the wood glue I picked up yesterday to try), or if I need quicker setting stuff. I take it this can be decanted in more manageable glue/squeezy bottles?

Simon.
Feb 06, 2020, 03:58 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Yes, it comes in a standard sealant cartridge, just squeeze it out ....

Feb 06, 2020, 06:43 PM
Paint store Thin/light brown Masking paper and Cheap PVA (white glue) is the best Combo I've found Overpriced 'adulterated' white glues are problematic
and anything heavier than Light masking paper will add Unflyable weight.
But you can learn all this for yourself.. eventually :-)
Feb 08, 2020, 05:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Paint store Thin/light brown Masking paper and Cheap PVA (white glue) is the best Combo I've found Overpriced 'adulterated' white glues are problematic
and anything heavier than Light masking paper will add Unflyable weight.
But you can learn all this for yourself.. eventually :-)
In the UK or at least locally there really isn't a 'paint store', but larger type DIY stores. I could not find any masking paper in the ones I visited, but I did find in poundland some brown wrapping paper which is pretty thin, and also some white art paper on a roll at B&M.

My sensitive scales are U/S and I'm awaiting a replacement set from ebay otherwise I would be able to get some weights of the two papers compared to newsprint.

Simon
Feb 08, 2020, 05:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Yes, it comes in a standard sealant cartridge, just squeeze it out ....

Ah, excellent. Thanks.
Feb 08, 2020, 06:45 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Brown masking paper used in the motor trade is available from trade suppliers. It is quite thin and has a shiny surface on one side. I got some from a friend who sprays cars worked well

Toolstation have some in their catalogue, I don't know if its the same stuff but reading the reviews it looks to be quite thin

https://www.toolstation.com/brown-ma...6672#reviewTab
Feb 10, 2020, 05:14 PM
Learning to make
Hi Landy!
I was wondering whats the difference between the green B&Q foamboard and the white stuff?

I've tried the green stuff, made a chuck glider. Seems relatively stiff and light, but brittle.

Haven't seen the white foam, I didn't think to look on the other side of the store. So I was wondering if it might have different properties.
Feb 11, 2020, 01:00 PM
sweet dreams & flying machines
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil1999
Hi Landy!
I was wondering whats the difference between the green B&Q foamboard and the white stuff?

I've tried the green stuff, made a chuck glider. Seems relatively stiff and light, but brittle.

Haven't seen the white foam, I didn't think to look on the other side of the store. So I was wondering if it might have different properties.
The white is much nicer, far less brittle.

Quick Reply