Feb 03, 2020, 04:09 PM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD
Thread OP
Contest

TPG F5J Competition Series 2020

Hello F5J pilots.

The Torrey Pines Gulls would like to invite you to our Bi-monthly F5J series held at our Poway flight center off of Garden Road in Poway, California.

First event is this Sunday the 9th of February. There are 5 contests scheduled.

The TPG F5J calendar looks like this:

February 9 - CD: Mike Smith
April 19 - CD: Steve Condon - F3X Vault registration will be required by Saturday afternoon at 5pm.
June 14 - CD: TBD - F3X Vault registration will be required by Saturday afternoon at 5pm.
September 13 - CD: Steve Condon - F3X Vault registration will be required by Saturday afternoon at 5pm.
November 8 - CD: TBD - F3X Vault registration will be required by Saturday afternoon at 5pm.

Sunday February 9th - Torrey Pines Gulls F5J contest announcement

We encourage any and all pilots with any and all levels of equipment to come out and try this task. It is very challenging and quite fun.

We are including a novice class for any newcomers that want to play. Bring your Radians, home brews, converted Wanderers and have fun. If you don’t have a motor timer/altitude logging device such as the Altis V4 or similar, that is ok. We will figure something out for you. The point is to come out and give the event a try and have fun.

We plan to fly 4 rounds. We will try to fit 5 lanes in for starting and landing, so 5 pilots per heat is the goal.

The pilots meeting will be at 8:30 with the first round starting at 9:00am.

Cost is $5 for TPG Members and $10 for non-members.

All Poway Flight Center rules and no-fly zones apply.

See you there.

Mike Smith, your Feb. 5J CD

WE WILL BE USING F3XVAULT STARTING MARCH 1 FOR ALL F5J CONTEST REGISTRATION PRIOR TO THE SCHEDULED CONTESTS. PLEASE GO TO THE VAULT AND FIND THE EVENT YOU WISH TO ATTEND AND REGISTER THERE. WE WILL BUILD THE PILOT MATRIX IN GLIDERSCORE FROM THE REGISTERED ENTRY LIST AT 5 PM THE SATURDAY BEFORE THE EVENT. WE HAVE ONLY VERY LIMITED (LIKE 1 OR 2 PILOTS MAX) PROVISIONS FOR WALKUP ENTRIES AT THE FIELD.
Last edited by FLY F3B; Feb 10, 2020 at 11:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2020, 04:13 PM
Thread OP

Pilot List

Please provide your names so I can add it to this list if you think you might attend one of our F5J competitions. Even if you don't show up this time, we still need your name so we can pre-populate the pilot names into GliderScore. We will select pilot names after everyone has entered the morning of the competition and run the draw at that time.

Pilot Names:
Mike Smith
Steve Condon
Mario Scolari
Cliff Hunter
Don Lochead
Gary Fogel
John McNeil
Tom Trivitt
Bill Malvey
Les Ward
Frank Campbell
Chris Bajorek
Manny Tau
Mike Lonnecker
John Swain
Last edited by FLY F3B; Feb 10, 2020 at 11:26 AM.
Feb 03, 2020, 04:23 PM
Bad command or file name
Mike you can add my name.

Tom Trivitt
Feb 03, 2020, 05:15 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Looks like a great series! I just added your dates to the f5j-usa.com calendar. I also shared this on our NorCal F5J email list- maybe we can get some NorCal guys to drive down for some of these.

Chris
Feb 03, 2020, 10:37 PM
a.k.a VintageFan
Add me to the list
Latest blog entry: Images
Feb 03, 2020, 11:16 PM
Team Futaba
My name is Bill, I fly gliders. I'm a very safe pilot, my father let's me fly gliders on Sunday!!
Feb 06, 2020, 09:55 AM
please add me to the list

Les Ward
Feb 06, 2020, 12:52 PM
Thread OP
Got you guys.

Thanks

Mike
Feb 06, 2020, 01:47 PM
All signed up!
Feb 06, 2020, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude
Looks like a great series! I just added your dates to the f5j-usa.com calendar. I also shared this on our NorCal F5J email list- maybe we can get some NorCal guys to drive down for some of these.

Chris
Thank you Chris.

Hope to see you for one down here soon.

Mike
Feb 08, 2020, 07:56 PM
Gasbags & Gussets

Please add

Please add John Swain to sport flyers group, thx, Js
Feb 09, 2020, 09:55 AM
a.k.a VintageFan
Sorry, canít make it

Frank
Latest blog entry: Images
Feb 09, 2020, 06:12 PM
Add Mike Lonnecker to your list

Thanks

Mike
Feb 10, 2020, 03:43 AM
MQ-5B Driver
I will be able to make the April contest finally.. Can't wait!
Feb 10, 2020, 11:57 AM
Thread OP

F5J TPG - February 9, 2020 - RESULTS

Thank you all for hanging tough in the inclement weather yesterday. Our first official F5J contest turned out to be pretty darn fun. Some good yet spotty lift was available allowing for some very nice medium level saves. Medium level is measured by the onset of the pucker factor, but not yet full pucker . The Radian group looked to be having quite a bit of fun so we definitely want to make sure guys know to come out and try this with Radians.

The Poway field is not ideally suited for F5J. It is quite narrow and can only fit 5 lanes max. So competitions of 20 to 25 pilots is about our maximum.

And without further adieu here are the results:

Open Class:
Arthur Markiewicz - 1st
Steve Condon - 2nd
Mike Smith - 3rd

Sportsmand Class:
Chuck Norris - 1st
Gary Fogel - 2nd
John Swain - 3rd

Full results in the attached PDF.

See you all in April

Mike Smith